FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDP wants another....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DP wants another....
    Posted: 04 October 2009 at 8:33pm
And I'm terrified! He's started to get all clucky and even telling his mates that "it wouldn't be that bad to get her knocked up now" (in man speak that means "I've thought about a lot bro"). I've suggested we adopt but he's got his heart set on another child of his own. Now I know I haven't posted my birth story, but I have reasons for being a bit nervous. I loved being pregnant, I love my daughter, I'd love for her to have a brother or sister - but I don't think I'm ready to have another c-section, and I'm not allowed to try for a natural birth I'm scared of going into labour again, and I have no idea how I'll find a midwife next time because I sure as anything will NOT be using the MW from my 1st.

How have those of you who suffered traumatic births found being pregnant again? Did it help let go of your issues or did you spend the whole 9 months worrying?

I feel really sad that I'll never be able to give birth naturally. But the upside of that is - by having a scheduled c-section I should be able to avoid labour this time. Thre's no way I could go through that again. DP just doesn't understand how I feel - he just thinks that if he wants one, and I want one, then it should be an easy decision. But it's MY body that has to go through surgery again. And it wasn't him going through the labour last time.
Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 8:47pm
I was NEVER having another after Isabelle .. but then look what happened

The good thing is that you will automatically get an elective C because you had an emergency C, so you can actually just go direct to the hospital team as they will be cutting number two out (for want of a better word).

When I rang my midwife (well I stole Emmas) she asked if I was planning on having a CS and if so she could just refer me direct to the surgical team and they would assign me a midwife to do the pre natal visits.

I actually found being pg with number two much easier because there was no pressure. Even though I was going to try a VBAC I was assured at any stage that I could cop out and have Elias removed lol.

So I wouldnt worry too much, you will have much more say with this one and even if you do go into labour, they will take you straight into theatre (well that was my understanding)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 8:57pm
My problem is, as much as I would have loved to try for a VBAC, I'm under orders from the OB who did my emergency C that I am NEVER to try for a vaginal birth (she was fantastic - told me I could still have 10 babies if I wanted as long as I made sure I had a ceasarean). So I don't really have any say as to what sort of birth I have. With my daughter, I did the hypnobirthing stuff, planned on a beautiful natural birth using music and water to help me through it - but my body was built by a different design.

The thing is, as we have an OB shortage here (there was NO resident OB at the hosptial when I had my girl, that's why I was in labour for soooo long), I'm worried that I might go into labour and not have anybody around to operate, so end up in the same sort of situation.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 9:07pm
But as you can only have an elective, they would schedule your one in so their would be an OB available

They also usually schedule them earlier than your due date so that you are less lucky to go into labour at all, however if you do happen to go into labour and you are under the surgical team they would get an OB in for you straight away instead of waiting like they tend to do with first time births

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 9:08pm
I didn't have a c-section but my pregnancy was a medically mismanaged nightmare and my labour and Jakes birth went completely pear-shaped thanks to my psychotic ex and it took me til, well, June this year to even contemplate the idea of another one.
We agreed to TTC then immediately got a BFP which sent me into a right awful state and I attempted to book a termination Since my pregnancy has been alright I'm alot more settled but I hit 18 weeks and all of sudden I'm having total panic attacks about labour 2 weeks later and its not getting any better. I'm trying not to think about it coz TBH I've got no idea what to do. The only thing I figure is that since all the labour complications were unexpected last time then this time is guaranteed to be different and that means 50% liklihood of it going better and because they're managing my health better this time then dd another 25% chance of it going smoothly and bam! lol I've got a 75% of it going well...
Anyway this is probably no help whatsoever but I do hope you and DP find something that suits you both hun xx
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 9:51pm
My understanding is that when you have an elective c/s they schedule it for 39 weeks so that you don't go into labour. I'm sure if you naturally went into labour earlier than that they would take that into account and book you in earlier. If you can't have a natural birth I am sure they will do everything needed to stop that from happening.

Perhaps you could talk to your gp about it and he may be able to refer you to someone at the hospital who you can talk to before getting pg, so you can sort out all your worries, or you might be able to find a mw who is willing as well (although they don't get paid for elective c/s which can make them reluctant to take you on).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 9:54pm
Thanks lilfatty, I needed somebody to point out some of the common sense stuff. My brains in the "emotional" place not the logical place at present when it comes to this subject.

Thanks Babe. It's comforting to know that somebody else has been in a similar head space ( I think if I got a BFP I'd panic just like you did) to where I might be. And 75% is pretty good odds!

I also feel my biological clock is ticking a bit - I don't really want to take the risks that come with advanced maternal age, no matter how slim the chances may be. So it's like I need to get my head around this sooner, or we might miss the window of opportunity.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 1:33am
After I had Caden, I swore I would never have another, his birth traumatized me for ages! I was so scared at the thought of going through another ordeal like that.

But then 5 1/2 months later I was pregnant again! lol, and I wasnt really scared anymore, nervous, but not terrified like I was before. My MW and the OB put my mind at ease, and I was going to try for a VBAC, but ended up having an elective C/S at the last minute, I was a week overdue and nothing was happening.
I was pretty scared before I went in, but it all went well.

The pregnancy was fine, I had no issues, it chugged along like normal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 7:26am
Good idea about seeing if my GP can refer to me to somebody at the hospital cuppatea. My MW had refused to give me a scan in NZ (I asked for one), and she had my dates wrong (Mum and I had a different set of dates) so I went two weeks overdue, and was in labour for 211 hours because the MW was sure it was prelabour as E didn't descend (she couldn't as my pelvis was to small so her head became impacted).So by MW's dates I went into labour 9 days early. (By my dates I went into labour 3 days overdue).

Sheza, that's cool that once you were pregnant you had a good pregnancy. It sounds like you had a really good team. How was the recovery from a c section the second time round?
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 7:43am
I found the 2nd slightly "harder" but more cause you already have a little person who requires attention, with my first cs I got to rest way more.

And in another way it was easier as I knew what to expect (and I asked for "the good" drugs)

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 9:38am
oh i totally get what you mean..

and i really really wanted another baby but i really really didnt want to be pregnant again and I really really dont want to go through labour again esp with a near awful ending like last time.. even though he said it was up to me i just didnt want to wait too long cause he is funny about having kids after 40(he's 39 and his Dad died at 40) and I knew if i didnt do it soon i wouldnt want to do it again..

I have worried a lot more but only because everything hurts more and i am at risk of pre term labour but.. in general i worried a lot less ..though i am concerned they might make me try for vbac... :(

i am just hoping that the recovery is better(has to be!!) and i have a lot more support this time.. so that might help too..
Mum to two amazing boys!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 10:31am
The thought of being preggers makes me sh*t scared.

Could you birth at Palmy? I just wondered if that was an option. More medical staff to help you. Just a thought anyway, I dont know if its actually possible being a different DHB
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 10:50am
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Perhaps you could talk to your gp about it and he may be able to refer you to someone at the hospital who you can talk to before getting pg, so you can sort out all your worries, or you might be able to find a mw who is willing as well (although they don't get paid for elective c/s which can make them reluctant to take you on).

I just thought I'd add in here that midwives can actually get paid for an elective and they get paid for all the antenatal and postnatal care so don't let that put you off. A lot of midwives would be happy to go through your notes and talk about the possible options for you before you are even pregnant.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 11:31am
Originally posted by RachandJack RachandJack wrote:

Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

I just thought I'd add in here that midwives can actually get paid for an elective and they get paid for all the antenatal and postnatal care so don't let that put you off. A lot of midwives would be happy to go through your notes and talk about the possible options for you before you are even pregnant.

Umm, without being rude (because I am grateful for all input and ideas from the lovely ladies here), a midwife in New Zealand is paid between $770 - $1000 for the natural birth of a child. Without this component incuded in the total pay it nearly halves how much a midwife recieves for the "delivery" (on average a MW is paid $2135 per "delivery", being a pregnancy, birth and postnatal care).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 11:36am
Kebabkat, I've considered moving to palmy with my daughter and leaving DP here to work if I get pregnant just so I can use the palmy hospital for the medical team. Strangely, he's not that keen on the idea.....

Four eyes, stick to your guns and make sure you're crystal clear and stubborn as a mule that you want an elective.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 1:36pm
It just sucks that I have no options, and I still feel like my body "failed" me. As a woman, you take it for granted that you'll be able to give birth one day. And I can't. Suckity suck. I'd made my mind up that I wasn't going to have anymore, now DP wants another and TBH I dream of E having a sibling to play with....
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 3:55pm
Yep the sibling thing is pretty cool to watch, who knew a 17 month old would have such a strong bond with this tiny little person being bought into HER home.

Do you have family in Palmy? Im useless with geography so I have no idea how far away it is .. but I was able to birth at a hospital outside of my district as my midwife was affiliated to Auckland (I live in the Waitakere Hospital catchment area).

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 4:07pm
I second the idea of talking to the medical team at the hospital if possible or at least an informed professional so you can get the full story and full options on the whole thing. Like what OBs are going to be around and what will happen in the 'worst case' scenario.

And yep they def book you in early for electives to minimise the chance of you going into Labour.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 4:07pm
No family in Palmy, but it's a 45 minute drive on a good day. Unfortunatly it's a completely different DHB, so I'd have to be living there to use Palmy hospital. When there was no OB here, they were taking emergencies to Palmy hospital, but only at the last minute so there were a couple of babies delivered in the back of the ambulance.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 4:37pm
Can you afford private? Or will your insurance cover a private ob? Then you could use one in palmy.. but I know that isn't cheap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>