FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExperiences with Gaviscon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experiences with Gaviscon
    Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:24pm
Was this enough for your baby or did you go on to stronger stuff?

How long were they on Gaviscon before you need to move up.

When did the reflux "disappear"

What side effects did you encounter.

Just trying to up skill myself on this stuff!

Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:49pm
Main side effect is contipation- usually at its worst after 2 weeks of using gav, then there system gets used to it.

Isla had silent reflux, and ended up on Ranitidine twice a day (which reduces the ammount of acid produced, much like losec dose) which gave her throat a chance to heal, as well as the gav with each feed which thickens it and helps it to stay down in the stomach.

Isla was diagnosed at 5 months- harder to daignose than when they are spewing with their reflux, cos you couldnt see the stomach acid coming up and burnning her thorat and doing it again on the way back down. She ened up having Gav 6 times a day and Ranitidine twice a day til she was almost one.

Best way to give it that we found, and I know this has helped others on here too, was to give before feeds, and to use a large medicine dropper (approx $3 from chemists) to give it down the side of their cheek.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 2:32pm
Was this enough for your baby or did you go on to stronger stuff?
No, we ended up with ranitidine

How long were they on Gaviscon before you need to move up.
About 5 days from memory

When did the reflux "disappear"
About 2 weeks after I gave up BF - 4 months. I'm sure it was something in my diet making his silent reflux worse but I can't mess with my diet much being a vego

What side effects did you encounter.
None, it was just a PITA

I hated gaviscon, it gave an instant effect but it only lasted 2 days before it wasn't doing anything so we went to ranitidine and it worked brilliantly
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 10:34pm
Thanks ladies.

Thankfully we have no issues giving Gaviscon cause he takes it straight & from a bottle. Except now he sees me with the bottle he screams at me to hurry up!!

Since being on the Gav we are now getting sleep at night instead of the regular wakings. He also has less wheezing or rattling.

Discovered tonight that potato is definitely off the menu. I had to give pamol as well to get him to sleep

I'm finding that the gav is giving instant effect like Stacey said but it's only until he next eats. I guess the healing hasn't started yet.
Kel

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 9:06pm
Ellie's on gavison and Losec. I tried taking her off the gaviscon last week, but things went backwards so I guess she'll stay on it until further notice... It is a PITA though. I use a munchkin cause I also put Weleda colic powder in with it
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 2:29pm
I tried the munchkin dummy but Bella wouldn't have a bar of it
So I just make it up in a glass(double dose and syringe it into her mouth if shes had a breastfeed, or I put one sachet into her bottle when she has one(180mls).

Bella is on 10mg on Losec and Gaviscon.

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2009 at 8:50am

Gaviscon didn't help Ella much, but Ranitidine did for her - she needed reflux meds till she was about 14 months!  Reuben had Gaviscon and Losec, but only until he was about 4 or 5 months old.  So it varies greatly.  The Gaviscon sure does consitpate them.  I think we knew that we needed to try something more that that when it'd been a few weeks with nowhere near enough improvement. 

...come to think of it, is reflux to blame for Cooper's wheeziness, etc?  'Cause despite chest x-rays, they've never been able to see why Reuben rattles and wheezes.  Hmmmm, thanks, Kel! 

GOOD LUCK!  Reflux is a bit myserious sometimes.  Not in the fun way.

Andie
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2009 at 12:43pm
We must be lucky then, cos Isabella doesn't get constipated from the Gaviscon!

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2009 at 1:00pm
I'm dead certain now Andie!!! look at Chest issues further down on this page.

He's hardly wheezing or rattling now. He does have bronchial tube thickening but not enough other symptoms to diagnose asthma just yet.

We haven't found constipation yet so cross fingers we won't.
Kel

Post Reply Post Reply