FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReasons for C/s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 7:12pm
Hi Ihw312 welcome to OBaby!

I've had 2 electives due to a small pelvis. Had a discolated left hip that was missed at birth, have had lots of surgery throughout childhood to correct and bone taken from my pelvis to rebuild my hip. So smaller pelvis. No way baby getting out that way!
Electives are fine, and not really that painful, I recommend getting up slowly the next day and walking around, i could shower e.t.c and walk normally just a little pain. Main thing don't over do it. Like i did! rest heaps and take it esay for a few weeks good luck
Sponsored Links

lhw312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhw312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 10:08pm
^^^
Thanks for your advice.

Still got sooo long to go, so not even really thinking about it now. But I do have a docs appointment early march to discuss the birth plan, so I guess it will hit me then.

Midwife is encouraging me to express milk a couple of days before I have C section, so that even though I won't be awake, atleast baby can still have my milk via bottle (and husband).

Did anyone having trouble bonding with baby after C section (specifically, after c section with general anaethestic)?

Edited by lhw312
mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 2:54am
Yep yep, I had a semi-elective c/s for #1 as I'd been really sick and he was IUGR, and born at 33 wks, so he was whipped off to NICU minutes after he was pulled out. Then #2 was a crash caesar with general anaesthetic.

I think I found it harder to bond with #2 as I had time to prepare for the first c/s, but the 2nd was all very dramatic and the general knocked me about, as they have a tendency to do! Also he had feeding issues so it took a few weeks to establish breastfeeding successfully. However I just spent lots of time looking at him, talking to him, and eventually I felt a stronger bond start to develop.

But... it's 3am and I've been up since 1am, and he's still grizzling so it's still a work in progress
Mum to two very active boys, born October 2008 and December 2010. Getting excited about becoming a Childbirth Educator, and LOVIN being a birth support to amazing and courageous women!
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 9:02am
I had a lot of trouble bonding with my first (crash c-section, not quite a general as I'd already had an epi, so was just 'topped up' while being wheeled to theatre) but I didnt see him for the first 24 hours, hold him for the first 48 hours, then at 5 days old he was declared healthy and I was on my way home trying to cope with a traumatic experience as well as deal with a baby I didnt know what to do with!

#2 was an elective and my bond with her was instant, if not pre-existing during pregnancy...

19 months after #2 was born there is still a very marked difference between the bond I have between my 2.

I think as McShort said, if its planned and known ahead of time how the delivery will go then it may not hinder the bonding process at all, if bubs is happy and healthy from the get-go, then maybe you could ask that you be allowed skin-to-skin as soon as you come out of general (with someone helping to hold bubs obviously as generals leave you feeling woozy for a while!)

Expressing prior to a c-section is a great idea as it means there is some milk there for bubs right from the start, c-sections dont allow the 'natural' chain of hormones that would normally occur during a natural labour and birth to induce your milk to start being produced, so expressing prior means you can establish a small supply. I did this prior to having #2 and my midwife was really surprised to see that i had colostrum at the ready even with a c-section.
Brandon - 05/12/2003

lhw312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhw312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 1:17pm
Well C section is the only way I will be able to give birth, so I've had my head wrapped around it for a while.
My husband will be there for skin to skin contact straight away when baby is born, and he will give baby my milk. My midwife said as soon as im out, and awake they'll basically straight away put baby on my chest for skin to skin (with support from someone else).

From what I've heard, the whole c section takes around 45 mins (is that right??)... alot shorter than the many other surgeries i've had (ranging from 6-12 hrs), so I think i'll pull out of the general pretty fast... hopefully... but my midwife said i'll have a morphine pump, and in the past these have been known to make me very very sleepy.
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 2:02pm
pretty sure you dont have to have a morphine pump. I had one for my 1st c-section and when I had my gallbladder out last year and hated it. Morphine makes me sick and itchy and feel like I have no control over any part of myself. (At one point I realised I'd had my fork sitting in front of my mouth for a few minutes, mouth wide open, but had 'zoned out' and forgotten I was even eating!) With #2 I had a pethidine pump I believe and pain-wise it held virtually all of it at bay, but I had full control, and none of that horrid spaced out feeling!

I have no idea how long my first took, I remember being rushed off to theatre, then my next memory is lying in recovery wondering wtf just happened, and wow... my tummy is so flat! (Another reason why I always refuse morphine if there are any other alternatives! I hate memory loss!) With my 2nd I walked into theatre at 9.10am, had the epi administered (that alone took 1/2 an hour cos they kept mucking it up!) then hooked up to HR monitor on finger, BP cuff on other arm, and she was out at 9.49am, I was in recovery by 10.30am.
Brandon - 05/12/2003

lhw312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhw312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 3:11pm
yeah i've had a morphine pump on a few occasions as I can't have an epidural.. but i will def ask my midwife about a pethidine pump instead.

Also do you know how many people are allowed in the room when your having the c section? im hoping to have my mum, and husband. And is it ok for one of them to film, so I can see everything that happened when i wake up?
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 9:30pm
I was allowed my midwife and DP as support people (as it was an elective, my midwife wasnt allowed to be there in a midwife role, she was there simply as a support person) so I would think 2 people would be fine? Might pay to ring the hospitals maternity team and find out from them, as they'd know all the rules and regulations (Mine was at Middlemore)

I was allowed a camera at mine (one of the hospital midwives took lots of photos and a short video of them putting DD up by my head), but I'm not sure what their rules are regarding cameras when you are under a general... again, might pay to ask the maternity team, or even discuss with the OB when you see them?
Brandon - 05/12/2003

mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:18pm
The timing: it takes a few minutes at first to get the epidural/spinal block in, then they wait until it takes effect (and they tip the table if it's better on one side than the other, which made me laugh!!). Once it starts, the baby is born really fast, like in 5 minutes?! It's the stitching up of the uterus, muscles and skin layers that takes a good half an hour. But with the distraction of the baby being looked over and given to you it makes the time go a lot faster.

I also had my MW and husband as 2 support people, and I have heard of a CBE student who was an extra support person being allowed in to a birth and take photos, however that depends in a huge way on the staff that are on that day. When my husband left with our son to go to NICU then my sister was allowed in, but they were strict about her not coming in until the other had gone.

Write it in your birth plan and give it to the OB when you meet with them, and also take a copy in with you in case they misplace it, you can say "oh here, I have a spare for ya". Cheeky but effective :o)

lhw312 have they said they want to do a general? It's pretty rare to have an elective with a general is all...
Mum to two very active boys, born October 2008 and December 2010. Getting excited about becoming a Childbirth Educator, and LOVIN being a birth support to amazing and courageous women!
lhw312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhw312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by mcshort mcshort wrote:

lhw312 have they said they want to do a general? It's pretty rare to have an elective with a general is all...

Yep, only way for me to give birth as i've had a spinal fusion, so cant have a spinal block or epidural.

Edited by lhw312
mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by lhw312 lhw312 wrote:

Originally posted by mcshort mcshort wrote:

Yep, only way for me to give birth as i've had a spinal fusion, so cant have a spinal block or epidural.

Ahhh that would explain it! Thanks :o)

A friend of mine has MS and if she was unable to deliver vaginally I think a general was on the cards for her too.
lhw312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhw312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 10:57am
Yeah im honestly not too worried about it at all.. Since up until about 30 years or so ago they only did C sections with generals, as they didnt have epidurals then. I know of a few people in my family who have had it done with a general, just because it was the only way they did it back then.
mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 3:37am
I was thinking about this again, they don't generally allow anyone but medical people into theatre with generals for a number of reasons, however do ask when you have your appt. My husband had skin-to-skin in recovery until I was comfortable taking our #2 myself after the general - I wasn't epecting a general so I think that affected the bonding however it is starting to deepen over time

Edited by mcshort
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 8:29pm
I had an emergency c-section for failure to progress and a distressed baby. Turned out he was also posterior, had a flexed head/neck and was pretty big so just wasn't gonna come out!

Fingers crossed for a smaller baby in a better position this time
Carlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 9:18pm
I'm Due in May but they say i will probably have a c section due to my placenta lying over my cervix (plancnta Previa).. i go for a scan tomorrow and hope that it has moved up. Has anyone had this before? this is my first pregnancy and i'm quite nervous about the whole thing.
mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by chelle chelle wrote:

I had an emergency c-section for failure to progress and a distressed baby. Turned out he was also posterior, had a flexed head/neck and was pretty big so just wasn't gonna come out!

Fingers crossed for a smaller baby in a better position this time

Have you heard about the book "Sit Up and Take Notice" by Pauline Scott? It's got some really fantastic advice on how to encourage optimal foetal positioning - I used it with both my pregnancies (but with the second he was a mover and shaker, and would change position every other day right up until 41 weeks...) it has some great ideas and straightforward advice and reasons.

And remember that scans are estimates too, if you're really keen on having a VBAC then get second opinions etc and discuss all the options thoroughly. Best of luck!!
Carlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 4:34pm
Its all good, had scan today and placenta has moved 'yay'
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 5:13pm
Great news Carlie!
Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 5:19pm
hey mcshort, where did you find your book? any ideas on where i can find a copy?

+1 May 09 Angel
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 3:34pm
From memory, I was allowed 1 person in with me for my c-s (emergency, with an epi - Mum came in) but if I needed a general for any reason, I wasn't allowed anyone - possibly because of the nature of the surgery?? I went into theatre at about 9am, and the girls were born at 9.30am and 9.31am. I was on a morphine pump and it was bliss. I had skin to skin for 2 hours with both girls straight after I got out of recovery (I think it was about 10.30am??) even though I was not with the world in the slightest and they were both hooked up to monitors and other stuff (born at 33w4d).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>