FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGoing Home etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going Home etc.
    Posted: 19 December 2009 at 6:04pm
Right so we're getting an elective for sure (although the backup MW thinks she'll let me try birthing naturally - har har lady!)

What I want to know is - I DO NOT want to go to an aftercare facility after I have to leave the hospital. I want to come home and recover in my own bed with my family etc. I wont be BF so I dont need to worry about getting the baby latched etc and my MW lives a few roads over from me. My question to you lovely gals is - has anyone done this? Have you hit any walls and been 'forced' to stay in hospital etc? I personally dont see why I shouldnt be allowed to come straight home (unless there were complications etc). Any advice is appreciated. I need to have this sorted out before my next MW appt as she needs to get it all sorted out.

My normal MW is fab and is going into bat for me if I dont get any luck with people listening to what I want.
Alex, Thomas and Lily
Sponsored Links

Andriea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andriea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 6:42pm
Hiya, I had my baby on the friday round midday, had to stay overnight cause of all the drips and stuff they came out on the sat morning and I came home at midday. I had to sign a self release form though saying that they werent liable if anything went wrong. My mw was awesome to. I wanted to come home the afternoon i had him, but was still quite numb and couldnt really move at all.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:49pm
I had James Tuesday morning and went home Friday morning...well no actually it was Friday lunchtime as we waited around to see the physio and thinking we needed to get signed off by paeds (not used to a healthy newborn). My OB would normally have had me stay till Sat but would have let me go on Thursday as she said "if you think you;ll be happier and more comfortable at home". DH couldnt come and get me on Thursday though (we live 3 hours from the hospital
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 10:10pm
Sounds awesome.. I wasnt happy with the level of care at the after-care hospital I was shipped off to, so I just really want to be at home. Its a shame we dont have facilities like they do in Auckland etc in chch.
Alex, Thomas and Lily
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 10:56pm
Where did you go? I've been to burwood after a c/s and the care was excellent, and Rangiora after a vontouse delivery and again the care was awesome.

I found I liked the time in second time around, gave me time to bond with baby before going back home and having to juggle everything again. But if you want to go home i don't see any issues with it, would probably just mean your mw would have to come to your place to give you the anti clotting jab each day.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 10:59pm
anti clotting jab???? I didnt get this (that I was aware of)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 11:13pm
ah the anti clot jab... i had forgot about that... that was the clexane wasnt it?

it is major abdominal surgery so i dont really think it would be feasible to go home straight away, not unless as someone said you signed a release. there is the pain relief meds that can only be given in hospital for a start. i dont think you could go home straight after any other abdominal surgery either.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 7:33am
Yeah the clexane, the lovely one they jab into your tummy each day for a few days that bruises and hurts!

Not sure about the pain relief Bizzy, I was only on panadol less than 24 hours after mine so I suppose it depends on each persons own recovery. However day 2 I felt gross cos the morphine made me vomit uncontrollably and they gave me something to stop it but I still felt vomitous and dizzy and a bit out of it all that next day.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 9:03am
If this is your second cs it is also much more envasive surgery as they have to go through all the scarring from the first, so unfortunately recovery can take longer and the pain can be greater (but obviously not in all cases).

I would think you could go home on day two after they remove the pain pump and catheter if you are insistent. However they wont give you any hard core drugs .. tramadol would probably be it and its not subsidised and at $1 a pill its quite expensive (but IMO worth it)

I however would rather stay in hospital than have to go home to a toddler, I was in for nearly a week and I still wasnt quite ready for the onslaught that was Miss Isabelle.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:26pm
i had the pain pump taken away the evening after Thomas was born - didnt need it :) Same as cuppatea - I just had panadol! Oh and the catheter came out the following morning. i wasnt numb after that so I was able to have a shower and have it removed - thank god!

MW has already said that she'll come do the anti-clotting jab for me - she'd come visit every day regardless.
Also, I went to Rangiora for aftercare and was seriously unhappy. I think theres a post somewhere on here saying why!
Alex, Thomas and Lily
X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Yeah the clexane, the lovely one they jab into your tummy each day for a few days that bruises and hurts!

I am pretty sure I never had even one of these jabs after my C section. I definitely would remember being injected in the tummy!

How strange...

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 8:56pm
I never had that injection either but then again I had very low platelet levels so they were more concerned that I wouldn't clot as opposed to the opposite..... maybe that is why some of us don't get that injection?

I opted to take no drugs after my c section, I didn't need them TBH, I have a pretty high pain tolerance level and I wasn't sore at all. I was just majorly uncomfy and had such restricted movement! That annoyed the crap out of me!!

Good luck with your c section!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 11:58am
Originally posted by peachy peachy wrote:

I never had that injection either but then again I had very low platelet levels so they were more concerned that I wouldn't clot as opposed to the opposite..... maybe that is why some of us don't get that injection?

I opted to take no drugs after my c section, I didn't need them TBH, I have a pretty high pain tolerance level and I wasn't sore at all. I was just majorly uncomfy and had such restricted movement! That annoyed the crap out of me!!

quite the opposite with me peachy i had very low platelets too so much so thats why i got induced in the end and they were anal about making sure i got the jab...1 a day for 5 days.. it's really really slack if you didn;t:(

I had most of the drugs even though i hate taking them as even though i have a high pain threshold..omg it hurt so bad.. and makes me wonder about whether I'm wanting elective this time!!
Mum to two amazing boys!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 11:59am
re the coming home.. as all others said depends how you are..i initially wanted to come home asap too but realised i will need that time with Liam.. and also probably realistically will be a few days at least before I'm allowed home..I'm opted for CWH(no choice) then Burwood..
Mum to two amazing boys!
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Four_eyes Four_eyes wrote:

Originally posted by peachy peachy wrote:

quite the opposite with me peachy i had very low platelets too so much so thats why i got induced in the end and they were anal about making sure i got the jab...1 a day for 5 days.. it's really really slack if you didn;t:(

I had most of the drugs even though i hate taking them as even though i have a high pain threshold..omg it hurt so bad.. and makes me wonder about whether I'm wanting elective this time!!

Thats interesting as I never even new about this "injection" until this thread and my m/w never mentioned a thing to me about it ...I am going to ask around my friends that have had c sections as not one of them has ever mentioned that they have had it either. How weird.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 12:58pm
i never knew either till i had one and I'm like umm what's that..and the mw at the hospital explained.. all c/s people should get them.. it's really important:( i never thought bout the low platelet thing and not getting it..that would make sense..but i know they were anal about making sure i got it..and it didnt hurt much prob cause i had heaps of fat:)

my friends all got it that i know of?
Mum to two amazing boys!
Joscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 1:04pm
I didn't have any injections after my C/S either. I had no idea that you needed it, and no-one (MW, hospital staff etc) even mentioned it... Very weird!
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 2:32pm
I was induced and had low platelets and had to have that yuck yuck injection. i still remember looking down going WTF theres a needle going into my stomach.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 2:39pm
How bizaar that some people don't get it.
No idea what my platelets were doing but until this thread everyone I know whose had a c/s has had the injections.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 3:24pm
Yeah I had the jabs
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>