FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPorridge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porridge
    Posted: 08 January 2010 at 9:52am
How have your rdflux babies been on porridge?

We have it made with water & a little salt.

Alternatives for breakfast if not porridge? Not keen to use Farex.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 9:57am
i dont know much about reflux babies but could he have fruit and toast?

is yoghurt a no go? cause that and rice bubbles was some of the first breakfasts my kids had.

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 10:08am
We use millet porrige/ground cereal. You can buy it at the health shops.
Millet is one of the least acid forming foods available. Its also very nutricious.... and tastes nice too! Gluten free too.
takes 5min to simmer though.
We use it as we would porrige or farex etc.
I actually like it for be=rekky too.
Prob wouldnt put salt in it.....   We use pear to flavour it as that too is a low acidic and allergy fruit plus a little goes a long way so you dont end up over fruiting them.

Forgot to say- we tried oats once but I was silly and introduced a few things in one day so dont know if that was what gave him really bad bum rash or something else- will go try again in a few days.

Edited by KitKat
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 11:09am
Bizzy, Can't have yogurt as it's dairy, can have toast but want something more filling. Might trial rice bubbles but they aren't that long lasting.

Kat, we only use Pears here, occasionally apple but not often. Will have a look at millet porridge. I'll be making it for all 3 of us so not worried about the time it takes.

I grind up brown rice & use that for meals later in the day but wanted to have something that is specifically breakfast. He seemed very refluxy & took 1 1/2hrs to get down.

What is the brand on the Millet porridge?
Kel

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 12:28pm
My boys both like rice bubbles. Have you tried him on soy yoghurt?

What about pancakes or an omelette? Could you make breakfast muffins?

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:51pm
We do have pancakes and he chows them down but usually keep them till the weekend.

& No to the yogurt a)the price & also he can't tolerate fruits
Kel

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:09pm
if you put avocado on his toast that might be more filling...

or a fruit salad of low refluxy foods and then toast ?

are eggs okay - maybe hard boiled eggs on toast, or not on toast. or scrambled eggs done with water.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 3:50pm
Can't do Avocado & the only fruit is pears It just sucks with such a limited diet.

It's either my milk or his food that is causing him to reflux.

I'm pretty sure eggs are ok but would rather keep them for a later meal.

I'm going to try the millet porridge & see how he is with that. On my food email group they've suggested switching out what he has each day so that he doesn't get a build up from any thing. So with pancakes, oat porridge & millet porridge & toast I think we'll get a variety. Oh & rices as well, Alia will love that

Edited by Aliasmum
Kel

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 10:54pm
Good luck... its so hard with these refluxy mites. poor things.

The brand is Ceres Organics. You can also get ground rice and quinoa too. I think the quinoa is a little too much for the wee ones yet as its so high in protien and quite rich, but a wee bit (sprinkle) is prob good. We havent experimented a whole lot with it yet.
But the millet is staple for us.
Apple is like reflux attack material! then out of the blue an apricot is ok??? !!! WTF? Reflux seems so random sometimes its hard to know whether its the food causing it or it wouldve happened anyways.
Avo sets Locks off too.
He lives on kumara pretty much... loves the dark purple variety- radical I think its called. its so sweet and yum! Oh and chick stock went pretty well too.
Brown rice cereal goes straight though Locks.

blabbing sorry.

let us know how you go

Edited by KitKat
hannibal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 11:02pm
Maybe the pancakes - if limited on time, what about freezing some. I do this with piklets my backstop for morning/afternoon snacks.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 10:44am
I did just that this morning Hannibal, how do they freeze?

Kat, I haven't tried the dark purple kumara but the other types go straight through so I haven't bothered.

I discovered a swede in the back of my fridge so might see if that is ok to cook still. Problem with these blimmin seasonal stuff is it's never around

We had a better day yesterday & this morning has gone down for his sleep really well, but then we didn't have porridge, but also the losec is probably starting to work now.
Kel

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 10:32am
How did you get on with the millet??
any joy??
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 4:17pm
I got some finally on sunday. He seems to like it & touch wood we had a better night last night.
Kel

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 3:25pm

'scuse my ignorance on Cooper's diet... he's allergen free altogether?  Reuben was for some time too, but now has wheat and small amounts of soy.  So we could swap ideas!  Weetbix (mushy) is great if wheat can be tolerated - Reuben has that with pear and Neocate for breakfast.  If he can't have soy and has no formula substitute, could he have rice milk with his brekkie?  Cheerios are a good dairy-free treat (a good dry snack for littlies more than a meal I suppose), there's ricies and cornflakes.  If the consistancy of the porridge was the problem rather than the food itself, would cremoata be worth a try?  (sorry, I can't remember if that has any dairy in it or not). 

Oh, and I've had success making soy yoghurt in the easiyo maker.  Didn't work with using the King soy yoghurt for the culture though, I had to go with Bio-Farm, which is dairy.  How allergic is he to it?  Could he have, say the 10th batch of soy yoghurt (takes a Dsp of yoghurt to make bout 600mls)?  FB me if you wana swap ideas! 

Andie
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 4:21pm
Additive, preservative free, no dairy, low salicylates & it looks like he doesn't go well on amine producing food either.

I am doing a cheese trial, which means adding back in preservatives & colourings but I'm trying to see if cheese will bring on eczema (feel so bad doing it!) Then I'm doing a soy formula challenge which will coincide with going back to paed.

The consistency of porridge is great in that he eats it all. It was that he looked like he was refluxing after eating it. He seemed fine after breakfast this morning as I gave him porridge.

I haven't tried weetbix because Alia can't have it as too much wheat sends her hypo.

Will FB you!!

He's reacting to something now...
Kel

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:31am
Poor wee man.... I really feel for you.... and him.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:54pm
Cheese is definitely not good, but I really knew that

I'm going to try mixing up what I give him for breakfast. The Millet porridge, pancakes, normal porridge & possibly vitabix. I've read that too much of that food too often, like how I was giving porridge everyday, it can build up in their systems.
Kel

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:11am
You can buy millet flour too- if you wanna use it for the pankakes? Can I have the recipe for your pankakes??
 Post Reply Post Reply