FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedinjections after c section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
littleLittle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleLittle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:47pm
I don't recall having the injections either and I'm sure I'd remember a jab in my stomach for a few days after!! I didn't have to wear stockings either. Is it something that everyone is supposed to have or only if you're at a high risk of something??
Sponsored Links

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:59pm
Okay, well if they give you injections in your tummy over the space of 4 days then I DEFINITELY didn't have them! And no sexy stocking either....

Weird I reckon. I dunno what the difference would be to having or not having the injections??
Maybe it is a newish thing? Alex is 5 & Blaire is coming up to 4 so maybe the anti clotting injection came in after that time??
I know I had a bit of difference just between my boys.
With Alex I had a morphine pump straight after the surgery that I could push a button for pain every 5mins & I also had dissolvable stitches.
With Blaire I had slow release morphine tabs to take after the surgery instead of the pump (much better!) and I also had staples instead of stitches
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:12pm
I had the morphine pump (didn't much use it though as it didn't seem to do anything apart from make me itchy), I don't know if i had stitches or not, how terrible is that, I didn't need to have anything taken out and all that seemed to be holding my outside skin together was a bit of tape, so maybe I had dissolvable stitches? I had the injections but no sexy stockings. My c/s was 2.5 years ago.

I would also guess that maybe some hospitals are quicker to change protocols than others?

noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:34pm
I had the morphine pump too but didn't use it morphine just makes me sick, my CS was 13months ago so dont know what happened to my injections...must dig out my notes and see if it says anything on there, but i definatly had no injections for the days after...strange how some people get them and others dont

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 7:42am
I had the stockings and the injections after both cs (first emergency, second elective).

I only recall one jab though .. they were given to me in the night so I was usually half asleep, but I remember one because I was awake with Elias.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 8:39am
clexane, had them and the stockings.

i think that the larger you are the more likely you are to have them. clotting seems to be more of an issue for bigger lasses! (from the hospital viewpoint)

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 8:45am
I had the stockings, but no injections - I was in two different hospitals in the first 4 days and they couldn't even keep track of my pain meds though....
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

clexane, had them and the stockings.

i think that the larger you are the more likely you are to have them. clotting seems to be more of an issue for bigger lasses! (from the hospital viewpoint)

I was only 65kg when I gave birth to Spencer (normally sit around 57kg), so it wouldn't have been that with me.

X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 9:03am
I had no injections, but I did have the stockings for the rest of the day. I had a morphine pump & I had staples.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 9:12am
no morphine pump, no staples. My stitches were disolvable. I had a dressing over top that stayed on for 2 weeks or until it fell off.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 1:03pm
bizarre i had no stockings....

! i had very low platelets and a lot of blood loss(1000mls) and that was partly why it was so important apparently.. which sounds backwards to me!:)

i had the tape too...yeah he said its changed in the last 2 years.. i had the pump

i asked him if everyone has them and he said yes everyone should.. ?so weird!
Mum to two amazing boys!
Imogen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 3:01pm
With my first section I had disolvable stiches with a dressing that was changed daily. Had the clexane injections and the stockings. Had the morphine pump for the first 24hrs or so and then went onto the slow release tablets. This was in Feb 2007 at National Womans

With my second section I had staples with a waterproof dressing that wasn't taken off till one week post op. Had the clexane injections and stockings again. Only had the morphine pump for about 8 hours then went on to the slow release tablets. This was in Dec 2009 at North Shore.

Funny how there is a standard way of doing things. I asked my MW about stitches vs staples and she said that it usually depends on the surgeon. Staples are quicker. I found that I healed much better with the staples. My wound was completely healed from the outside by the time the dressing was taken off and the staples removed. And there was pretty much no pain in the actual wound....the surrounding area was another story however!
Proud mummy to two beautiful little girls and a precious little boy <3
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 12:10am
Stitching etc is based on the surgeon. I has stitches but internally and tied on the outside. Its hard to explain but my mw had never seen it and thought she had to pull them out.. after a few tugs a begged her to ring and ask as I was SURE the surgeon said just to snip the knots.

Thank god she did ring as I was right, phew! She was trying to pull out one large continuos sewn stitch.

Very rare but i have a great scar (and it took blarrdy ages to be sewn up, but apparently less scar tissue).

I had the pump until it ran sometime within the first 24 hours then slow release tabs also at NSH...

Mine was an emergency section.. but not crash and I had PE very low platelets too.

The stockings were lovely, they even suggested I take them home and keep wearing them for a few more days

Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 7:21am
We might've had the same surgeon melnel. You couldn't see my stitches externally either and there were two ball type things at each edge where it was tied off. To remove it the mw just snipped the ends off and pulled it through it one go. It was a weird uncomfortable feeling but didn't hurt. My scar is really minimal also.

I had the morphine pump too but only used it once when the nurse was showing me how to use it. I was fine on the other meds they gave me and got told off because I wasn't taking the panadol consistantly (I thought I was just supposed to take it if I got sore )
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 2:06pm
i just kept pressing morphine button..lol this time will be better hopefully..so what are the heparin he was talking about ,....i thought that was the injection..is that something else?

Edited by Four_eyes
Mum to two amazing boys!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 2:26pm
ok just searched it, heparin is an anticoagulant (anti clotting) and clexane is a make of drug that contains heparin.

KA the morphine pump thing only lets you have morphine at set intervals (I think 5 mins minimum) and only 4 shots an hour (I think it was 4, you will need to check) so if you press the button before the time interval is up, or more times than you are allowed in an hour it does diddly squat cos it doesn't actually give you the morphine.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 5:25pm
sounds similiar freesia but there was nothing to pull out just snipped the knots off the end.. think it was disolvable..

it was a women, cant remember her name only that she wore a head scarf and was short LOL remember the aneathetist name though Michael Nyugen (and he is scrummy).

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

ok just searched it, heparin is an anticoagulant (anti clotting) and clexane is a make of drug that contains heparin.

KA the morphine pump thing only lets you have morphine at set intervals (I think 5 mins minimum) and only 4 shots an hour (I think it was 4, you will need to check) so if you press the button before the time interval is up, or more times than you are allowed in an hour it does diddly squat cos it doesn't actually give you the morphine.

yeah i know..:) but i felt like i was doing something..she said every five mins but i am pretty sure you were right..kinda like i wanted to suck the gas even after it was switched off.. just made me feel like i as getting relief..they took it away after not that long cause ti was making me sick.. (next morning?he was born 830pm) lucky not like Dad who pukes when he has it!
Mum to two amazing boys!
Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 7:28pm
Melnel, I had an older male doctor do the surgery and I'm fairly sure my midwife actually pulled some stitches out. I had a different anaesthetist but he was scrummy too
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 11:59am
My ones were like Melnel's - knots at the end and dissolvable. No staples internally either- my OB did stitches. I know because I asked him because I was fascinated with the whole thing.

The anti-clotting must have been administered by IV because I definitely didn't get injections either time.

Had a spinal block first time and epi the second but I was hooked up to the morphine pump with both. Then once it ran out onto the slow release morphine.

And yes I had to wear the sexy stocking socks too. I managed to take them off without being told off on day 2 when I had my shower though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>