FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"Safe" Takeaways/Fast Food?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AliceM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Safe" Takeaways/Fast Food?
    Posted: 13 February 2010 at 9:55am
Is there such a thing? I've read about how salads are pretty much a no go zone, which would be in most burgers. And I guess that's the end to my once a fortnight falafel souvlaki!

We're meeting friends tonight for burgers (takeaway which means I could get something from somewhere else) and a movie. I'm already classed as difficult as I'm a vegetarian. I'm thinking pizza would be the best option? Freshly made and hot are the key things aren't they?

Thanks for any info or opinions you guys can offer. It's only been a week since we found out I'm pregnant and wow, it's really made me think about stuff that you just take for granted when you're un-pregnant!
Sponsored Links

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 11:43am
Think your pretty safe with Pizza, but couldnt think of anything else
I have had a falafel ke bab since being pregnant and I know others are eating takeaway too
http://lilypie.com]
Jelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 11:48am
You're pretty safe with a nice hot pizza, you can even have one with camembert on it because the heat kills the bacteria in the cheese. Hot camembert doesn't seem right to me though! Pizza isn't an odd thing to want for dinner either, so your friends won't be wondering what's up. Win win
Katep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 12:34pm
In my first pregnancy I didn;t go near takeaways except pizza, occasional subway and chips from maccas. And I agree, pizza does seem very safe as it is all cooked.
hmmm, this pregnancy is way different though, I am eating anything, infact I had a cold cheeseburger for breakfast.

Mum to the Gorgeous Leah!
              7 months
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 12:40pm
I didn't worry too much while pregnant either. I'm vegeterain as well . I had burger fuel burgers as the have a high turn over so knew the salad would be fresh. I also had falafel kebabs but only if the salad looked fresh.
bext1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bext1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 1:33pm
yeah i had a kebab the other day and that was YUM!!

I guess though for me, this is number four so I'm not too worried. I even had cold ham at xmas and have deli meats.

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 3:48pm
Just look for an A grade health rating! If a resturant has that, you're fairly safe to eat what you want fresh off the menu.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 4:56pm
for me i avoided all except fish and chips and cheese pizza..:) boring but not worth the risk for me.
Mum to two amazing boys!
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 10:03am
I'm curious about Subway?
I was thinking no to all the deli meats, but even the "hot" meats don't seem to be all that hot and the dressings don't seem to be very chilled (or clean sometimes!)

I read something on the Ministry of Health site to stick with Fish & Chips! Well I don't wont to have F&C's every time we want to eat out! I'm fat enough as it is w/out eating F&C's during my PG!

May 2012
Renderbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renderbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 10:31am
Hiya,
With regards to places like Burger fuel you can ask them to specifically wash the salad on the burgers for you. Just mention that you are pregnant or have an allergy.
I am I am 8 weeks 6 days pregnant and have had it once. The guy behind the counter was only too happy to help once he understood the risks.

xx

Amanda
Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 11:43am
My MW told me that anything deepfried (ie Fish n Chips) is generally the safest as the heat of the oil is hot enough to kill pretty much any sort of nasty. So fair to say I've eaten heaps of FnC's!! I do eat Maccas on the odd occasion, only cheeseburgers or filet of fish tho cause they don't have salad in them. I've stayed away from anything chicken, even chicken pizza.Also haven't gone near Subway as my MW told me that is one of the worst places to eat while pregnant due to everything being of the deli variety. Can't wait till bubs is born so I can get my hands into a nice big smoked chicken sub tho! I'm hanging out for one!!
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 1:20pm
Lol , I ate lots of subway , ate so much while pregnant that im over it now .
But man , this thread is making me hungry

ItchyFeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItchyFeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 4:09pm
I'm a nut about sticking to the MOH guidelines, but I've discovered a whole load of takeaway type food I can eat (vegetarian options only)
Hot chips
Hot wedges
Nachos without the sour cream, salsa or guacamole (bit dry, but still)
Jacket potato from Wendys (the sour cream is sealed so I feel fine about that)
Asian noodle bar noodles without the meat - I know it's from a deli type counter, but it's from somewhere I used to go regularly and they cook them especially hot.
Japanese tempura veges without sauce - worked out I ask them to cook only these plates of veges for me and it's delicious (I do miss sushi though)
Pizza (have only tried Hell's) vegetarian option, but I wouldn't have the ones with feta etc. Basically hawaiian without the ham is good.
Have eaten lots of McD's fries and apple pies.
Jesters pies - check which are the fresh ones and they will also extra heat them for you (A grade food rating nationwide)

ETA I always ask for everything to be extra well cooked and will send it back if it isn't steaming hot when I get it.

I won't touch anything from Subway, burgers, milkshakes or icecreams e.g. Wendys or softserves, pies or sausage rolls, most items in a cafe deli counter but order off the menu (I eat loads of scrambled eggs on toast, cooked extra well) kebabs, feta, rice or most Asian style takeaways. Needless to say, a kebab on rice is my most looked forward to meal!

Edited by ItchyFeet

Kalimirella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalimirella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 4:10pm
Lol, I'm a subway fan too, I just get toasted and check for fresh gloves and rinsed salads. I used to work in Subway and they are generally clean and tidy in my experience. At the start of my pregnancy I also quite happily ate deli salads but I worked at said deli and knew how they were all prepared.
Kiara is 3 and Teagan is 2, now we're expecting our long awaited 3rd!
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 5:36pm
yeah ive been eating subway. not as much as i would like too, but have had it a couple of times. and i eat deli meats (normally salami which is prolly worse than anything else lol) but the one thing i HAVE stayed away from is soft serve ice cream.... DP knows that as soon as bubs is born and we go home (hoping to be home within a few hours... unless i give birth at something silly like 3am) then we are stopping at either McDs or BK for some soft serve ice cream. mmmmmm.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by 0mrs0ana0 0mrs0ana0 wrote:

I'm curious about Subway?
I was thinking no to all the deli meats, but even the "hot" meats don't seem to be all that hot and the dressings don't seem to be very chilled (or clean sometimes!)

I read something on the Ministry of Health site to stick with Fish & Chips! Well I don't wont to have F&C's every time we want to eat out! I'm fat enough as it is w/out eating F&C's during my PG!

depends who you ask really...although it is all fresh the meat has been sitting there a long time sometimes and you cant guarentee the veges are washed..
Mum to two amazing boys!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 6:35pm
its one of those personal things .. people tend to be anal about it(like me:) ) or not at all or somewhere in the middle...i went by the guidelines given in the food safety book in the pregnancy pack thing.
Mum to two amazing boys!
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 8:26pm
I ate subway after the first trimester and also ate Maccas, kebabs, indian and thai. When we ordered Subway I always ordered the chicken fillet and asked them to cook it a little longer. With the other takeaways I was more selective with what I ordered.

Gosh, this is making me hungry now
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
MindyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 11:09am
I have BK or maccas and try to just have the burgers without the salads in it, and just have extra fruit etc when I get home

Edited by MindyW
My Beautiful Little Emily

We've Waited for You Forever!
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 11:37am
I've had maccas and subway. I ask for fresh salads and for it to be toasted at the end of the making, not just after the meat, and at maccas I asked for it to be freshly made.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>