FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVBAC experiences please....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Laurz_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurz_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VBAC experiences please....
    Posted: 05 April 2010 at 8:35pm
I have had a normal VB 4 years ago (8 hour labour no issues) and a CS 7 months ago (Reason for CS was that they thought DD was a very large baby but was not big at all, I feel robbed as I want a big family and have heard you can only have 3 CS...anywho beside the point). DH and I would like to TTC when DD is 1 and I would love a VB due to healing time being so much quicker. I have heard a few things about VBAC and never anything nice about them. I want to know good and bad experiences also whether you were monitored the whole time...that is my worst fear, I like to be very active during labour so don't want to be tied to a bed.
Sponsored Links

X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 8:52am
I had an emergency c section in aug 2007 with DS due to failure to progress & fetal distress. I am attempting Vbac this time around. I'll let you know in 2 or 3 weeks how it goes

LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 12:56pm

I had a Vbac 19 months ago. I had to be monitored the whole time but only because of complications I had 10 days before he was born.

Was fully dialted after 7 hrs and pushed for 3 hrs and had to have a forceps delivery as he was stuck. Recovery was much better than with CS (ended up with more stitches though!!)

Good luck to both of you I hope everything goes how you want.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 2:45pm
I had a vbac 15 months ago after having a c/s for a breach baby nearly 3 years ago. I was monitor when I first got to the hospital for about 40mins, would have only been 20 but I was dehydrated which was making his heart race so had to wait for that to stop. Then I was allowed to do whatever, walked around, went in the shower and so forth. I wasn't monitored again until I had an epi which was 4 hours after I arrived at hospital and 9 hours after my labour had started.
The delivery ended up being a vontouse one, but they let me push for just over 2 hours before doing that and the main reason for doing it was that he was in an awkward position that was causing unbearable pain between contractions so not to do with previous c/s.
My labour was 14 hours all up.

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 12:57am
You actually can choose how YOU want things to happen. I had a home waterbirth for my VBA2Cs and was very successful doing things my way.
You don't have to have or do anything you feel uncomfortable with eg if you want to have an active birth then have it in your birthplan for minimal monitoring...
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 9:32am
I had a failed VBAC four months ago.   My first was an elective section for breech presentation so my midwife and I thought that a normal delivery would be totally achievable.   I was constantly monitored, which meant I couldn't get comfortable at all and I had my backup midwife who was a pain in the ass.   She wasn't supportive, helpful or understanding at all and didn't listen to a thing I said.   I am not sure whether it would have been a different outcome had my original midwife been there, but it could have been. I don't think I needed to be monitored for so long, as he was completely fine throughout my labour, so getting into a different position and feeling more comfortable could have really helped me. I remember kneeling on the hospital floor and just grinding my knees into the cold, hard floor and actually getting some relief from the pain.   I was badgered and badgered to get up because I might be hurting my knees.   Like I cared about my knees at that point.   Anyway, I have been told that I cannot labour again because of failure to progress past 6CM, but I don't believe that.   I totally agree with toniellis, you shouldn't have to do anything you don't feel comfortable with, it's your body, your baby and your decision!
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 9:48am
Mamanee definitely don't believe that you are stuck having c-sections! That is what I was told too after my 2nd c-section but baby #3 was born naturally without a single issue. Shame you had such a sucky backup midwie coz it would have made a huge difference having a supportive midwife there instead

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
jaylea4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaylea4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 12:27pm
I had an emerg-c/section with #3 and then had a vbac with #4. I was monitored the whole time, firstly with the one that goes over your belly and then they eventually put one of those fetal scalp things on babys head, which didnt hurt just felt uncomfortable. The only time they "unhooked" me from it was when i needed to go to the toilet.

I could move around the bed a little bit, i sat on a chair beside the bed and then eventually kneeled at the head of the hospital bed (the bedhead was put up) and i gave birth this way, took rnd 10mins to push him out and he was 8p 7oz and i did it drugfree, total labour from when they put the fetal monitor on at 9am to 12.50noon when he was born, so nearly 4 hrs. Before they put it on, my contractions were really irregular and not that painful

Anyway, good luck, hope it goes well

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 12:55pm
I had a Successful VBAC 4 weeks ago and it was fantastic!!!
I was monitored the whole time with the belly thing then the fetal scalp, but that was due to baby distress and lack of movement rather than anything else. My MW fully supported me in having as minimal monitoring as possible, baby just wasn't playing the game.
I was allowed to get off the bed and move around a bit which was good, and I was also allwed to hang over the back of the bed.
But we had a really good birth, no pain relief, with an episiotomy, 2 hours of active labour, 45mins of it pushing, and I was elated afterwards. ( if baby hadn't ended up in NICU would have been really great, but oh well)

I think its standard practice to monitor for the first 30 mins or so, but if the baby is fine, then they should be fine with intermittent monitoring, just be clear with your MW that's what you would like. GL
X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by JoJames JoJames wrote:

I was monitored the whole time with the belly thing then the fetal scalp, but that was due to baby distress and lack of movement rather than anything else. My MW fully supported me in having as minimal monitoring as possible, baby just wasn't playing the game.
I was allowed to get off the bed and move around a bit which was good, and I was also allwed to hang over the back of the bed.
But we had a really good birth, no pain relief, with an episiotomy, 2 hours of active labour, 45mins of it pushing, and I was elated afterwards. ( if baby hadn't ended up in NICU would have been really great, but oh well)

I think its standard practice to monitor for the first 30 mins or so, but if the baby is fine, then they should be fine with intermittent monitoring, just be clear with your MW that's what you would like. GL

Good to hear a story of a successful VBAC! Hopefully I will be posting another in a week or two (fingers crossed)

jaylea4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaylea4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Odettenz Odettenz wrote:

Good to hear a story of a successful VBAC! Hopefully I will be posting another in a week or two (fingers crossed)

AND MINE WASNT?!
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 8:25pm
I think she meant 'another' as in theres a few in this thread.

If I go early - and I have a feeling that I might - i'll be going for this as well. Not if i have to be monitored all the time tho.. I had that for 18 hours last time and wasnt allowed to get up and move around. cbf if its going to be the same this time!
Alex, Thomas and Lily
X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by jaylea4 jaylea4 wrote:

AND MINE WASNT?!

Huh? Of course yours was! I just didn't know how to quote two people in my reply! And yes, Missangel is right-I just meant it's comforting going into my own attempt at VBAC to hear other people (you included) who actually managed to get their VBAC.

I didn't mean to offend anyone....In fact I'm not sure why my post did offend you. Anyway, if it did that really wasn't my intention. You did very well!

jaylea4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaylea4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 7:14pm

Originally posted by jaylea4 jaylea4 wrote:

AND MINE WASNT?!

Huh? Of course yours was! I just didn't know how to quote two people in my reply! And yes, Missangel is right-I just meant it's comforting going into my own attempt at VBAC to hear other people (you included) who actually managed to get their VBAC.

I didn't mean to offend anyone....In fact I'm not sure why my post did offend you. Anyway, if it did that really wasn't my intention. You did very well!

hahaha
X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2010 at 5:51pm
Just wanted to pop & post quick. I will write up my birth story when I get a chance, but for now I will just say that I got my VBAC in the end (on thurs 22 Apr) & it was AMAZING. I can't believe I was actuallly considering having an elective c section.

Giving birth naturally was the most wonderful experience I have ever had & although it was much harder than an elective & scary at times it was just mindblowingly wonderful & rewarding & happy. I am even looking forward to doing it again (yes, you heard right-I loved it so much I want to repeat it!).

It wasn't a "perfect delivery" but it was wonderful nevertheless & I will write about it soon. All I can say to the women considering a vbac is don't be afraid-it is such an empowering, beautiful thing & no-one should be afraid of that.

I'll post full story when I get a chance.

Laurz_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurz_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2010 at 8:21pm
Congratulations!! Im so happy everything went well for you:)

Edited by Laurz_20
TC747 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TC747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2010 at 9:38pm
Congrats Odettenz, look forward to hearing your story.
Tanya - Mum to Noah & Isaac
Drnasia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drnasia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2010 at 10:38am
Hi there, Im heading for a VBAC, am 36 weeks pregnant now with #2 , #1 was born dec 08 via emerg c section due to obstruction after 36 hours of natural labour got to 8cm then went backwards to 5cm so off to hospital,  then 13 hours of syntocin and only got to 8cm again before the docs made the call. This time i really really want a natural birth and have a great story like odettenz!! Had appt with doc at CHCH womens hosp on monday and they said because i got to 8cm last time i only have a 40-50% chance of birthing vaginally.  Anyone else been told this? I was so positive until being told this! I thought it was GOOD i got to 8cm on my own, but according to her not? .. im only 150cm tall and that seems to scare obstetricians, esp with last bub being 8.8lb...  Any other similar stories ??  
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2010 at 1:12pm
Congrats odettenz!!

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2010 at 1:25pm
I only got to 5cm then my cervix started to swell and I went backwards.... Ive obvioulsy not had my OB appt yet but my mw doesnt seem to think this will lower my chances, however, I was induced at 38 weeks for what I was told was PE (though as it turns out it wasnt that at all so the OB meeting should be interesting!).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>