FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar seats - extended rear facing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>
Author
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 5:11pm
I was at coffee group one day and one of the ladies said she had turned her 4month olds rear facing seat to forward facing , she asked if that was illegal and everyone else said it wasn't and that it was fine, I was in minority (as in the only one ) that said personally I thought babies were better being rear facing til at least one , and I tried to find something on the net that said in plain and simple terms "Its illegal " but everything said "its recommended " which ,for me would be enough , since these are experts, but of course they just encouraged the women in the coffee group to say it wasnt illegal

Sponsored Links

angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 5:28pm
The kelly. that is really stupid. That would be like me turning kiara around now I cant even imagine doing it. Are there even seats out there that forward face from that weight? Kiara is 7kgs. Ive only heard of them from 9kgs.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 6:18pm
Yup that's the problem with our current law (and Laura talked about it in her interview too) - all it says is that children under 5 years of age must be in an approved child restraint

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Bubba2 Bubba2 wrote:

i tuned my dd1 forward facing at 12 months for the simple reason she hated the car and was always screaming due to getting car sick - instantly had a different child in the car. dd two however doesnt seem to have the same probs so will be rearfacing till she grow out of carseat - sns royale lol

Just wanted to come back to this one - I'm not saying this was your situation cos you had car sickness to contend with as well, but just in case others are thinking of turning their 12 month olds around because they're being difficult in the car...

We went through a patch at about 12 months old where JJ hated going in his car seat too. He struggled and screamed and I literally had to wrestle him into the seat. Looking back I think it was less about facing backwards and more about being constrained (he didn't like being strapped into a stroller around then either). The screaming usually stopped once we were underway or I found something to distract him (usually food ).

Turning him front facing might have been enough of a novelty to stop him from the drama production but we didn't do it and just rode it out (much as you occasionally have to ride out the odd phase of separation anxiety, night waking, etc). And now he's happy as larry. So I just wanted to say, if you find yourself dealing with a difficult toddler not wanting to go into their seat, try riding it out and all your distraction tactics before you try turning them around.

notenufchaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notenufchaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 11:30am
i second what weegee says regarding toddler tanty's about being in car for us she was happy enough to get into the car it was once we were moving she would start screaming this was from the trip home from hospital after birth - carsickness runs in my family too.

DD 1-25/05/2008

DD 2-2/2/2010
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 4:47pm
Great thread Weegee. I was so stoked to see that Campbell Live piece since I always get looks when people see my daughter still rear facing in her Brio at almost 2.5 years.

Happily my mum is paying for another Brio for DD#2. (We didn't buy the first one either) Sadly though because our car needs the front seat forward when the Brio is rear facing we will have to turn DD#1 around at that point so we can fit both of them in the car and still be able to drive it.

It makes me nervous thinking about driving with DD#1 FF but at the same time I'll be glad to get DD#2 out of a capsule.

Also not sure if this is correct or not but I heard that plunket recommended 12 months or 12 kgs and DD#1 is still only 11.5kgs now.

Edited by Bobbie

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 5:06pm
Bummer about having to turn R around Bobbie, but 2.5 is better than most people get!

This may sound like sacrilege but if you're not going to be RFing her in the Brio, you could probably save some of your Mum's money getting a different seat and using the Brio you already have for M... the Brio only FFs fully harnessed to 18kg (then you can use it as a booster to 25kg)... if you got something like the Radians that are coming in then they're roughly $100 less (or $200 less if you order by the end of the month) and they FF until 36kg so you'd be getting way more bang for your buck so to speak.

Not sure what the weight was that Plunket used to say, I went looking but they have taken the weight part of it out of their official recommendation these days...

myonlineself View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myonlineself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:01pm
Yay I'm so pleased to read this thread, people look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'm thinking of getting the Brio so I can rear face beyond a year - they thing I'm being precious and overly paranoid, but seriously, why wouldn't you if you can?

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:17pm
I just told DH and his family that they HAD to be rear facing till 1 year old or 12kg, whichever is later, to stop any arguments (they are very much - but we never did it and our kids are fine - mentality). DH can't wait for them to be FF, regardless of how many YouTube videos I show him or stuff I read out to him. I don't know how old they will be at 12kg though...they were 7.9kg at 7 months old?!?!?! We have SnS Omega seats which RF till 12kg.
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by TheKelly TheKelly wrote:

I was at coffee group one day and one of the ladies said she had turned her 4month olds rear facing seat to forward facing , she asked if that was illegal and everyone else said it wasn't and that it was fine, I was in minority (as in the only one ) that said personally I thought babies were better being rear facing til at least one , and I tried to find something on the net that said in plain and simple terms "Its illegal " but everything said "its recommended " which ,for me would be enough , since these are experts, but of course they just encouraged the women in the coffee group to say it wasnt illegal

arghh there is no way I would forward face a 4 month old no matter what weight they were..Lucas is 4 months and around 8kgs his safe n sound you can forward face from 8kgs but yeah he is way too small so will rear face him for as long as I can.

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 11:42pm
Kate, Megan was 12.5kgs at around 19/20 months...I did end up buying a cosco as I watned her rearfacing even longer..am hopin to get the radian so can continue to RF her and giver her brother the cosco.

RBsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RBsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 11:54am
Where would I order the Radian from weegee? I think they look fantastic.
myonlineself View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myonlineself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 12:20pm
My MIL is also of the "we did it this way and our kids are fine mentality" - Its so stupid - its really "we did it this way and I guess we were just lucky!" Its the same with sleeping baby on the back - that's just the latest 'thing' too apparently.

My MIL wants a car seat for her car - and will go with whatever I suggest. The problem I can see is that SIL has a baby 2 months older and they will be wanting to forward face sooner, so I'm expecting that when their boy is forward facing that the MIL will turn car seat around and expect our baby to be forward facing in her car... I guess I will just have to be a grumpy paranoid mummy and say sorry - she can't ride in your car unless the car seat is rear facing....they will just have to swap it depending on which baby they are carrying ;-) (my mum will just go with whatever I say lol)

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by minik8e minik8e wrote:

I just told DH and his family that they HAD to be rear facing till 1 year old or 12kg, whichever is later, to stop any arguments (they are very much - but we never did it and our kids are fine - mentality). DH can't wait for them to be FF, regardless of how many YouTube videos I show him or stuff I read out to him. I don't know how old they will be at 12kg though...they were 7.9kg at 7 months old?!?!?! We have SnS Omega seats which RF till 12kg.

It really seems to be a man thing

I ended up having a chat with Daniel's carer about RF today, explaining that I was going to RF again and why. She seemed quite interested and was going to tell her pregnant SIL about it ....
Mum to two wee boys
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 9:57pm
Yay Fliss! The word really seems to be getting out there, I'm not getting looked at like such a fruit loop any more

DebsB (and anyone else), there are more details about the Radians and how to order them etc in this thread over on The Nappy Network

E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 9:33am
We are planning on RF DD as long as possible, when #2 comes along we will buy her a new carseat so that she can RF as long as possible and the baby can go into her S&S meridian. I want to keep her there until at least 2 but I have a feeling that we won't fit 2 RF carseats in the car we have atm so could be a good reason to get a new one
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 1:15am
Awesome thread Weegee!

Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

Great thread Weegee. I was so stoked to see that Campbell Live piece since I always get looks when people see my daughter still rear facing in her Brio at almost 2.5 years.

Happily my mum is paying for another Brio for DD#2. (We didn't buy the first one either) Sadly though because our car needs the front seat forward when the Brio is rear facing we will have to turn DD#1 around at that point so we can fit both of them in the car and still be able to drive it.

It makes me nervous thinking about driving with DD#1 FF but at the same time I'll be glad to get DD#2 out of a capsule.

Also not sure if this is correct or not but I heard that plunket recommended 12 months or 12 kgs and DD#1 is still only 11.5kgs now.

Bobbie, just wanted to say that if your Mum was happy to pay for a Brio you could look at a Britax Two-way from this site carseat.se Our friends have one RFing in their small car - it sits quite upright and the front seats aren't pushed forward at all. It cost them just under $600 (including shipping to NZ) and is a great seat. Totally legal to use here as well as having a 10yr lifespan like the Brio. Your DD1 could RF in this and DD2 in the Brio.

Just a thought anyway

ETA -Hakan who runs the site is very friendly and replies promptly to any questions. Alternatively like Weegee suggested to Radian is another awesome option - they come in pretty prints too

Edited by Mamma2N
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 1:36am
Great thread, thanks Weegee.

I researched all this stuff as C came up to 12m and when we bought our car a month ago it was really easy to convince DH that RF is best - even with the MAJOR price tag that goes with it here We were looking at the Brio Zento.

Unfortunately, it's all gone out the window as we can't fit a larger RF seat behind EITHER of our front seats, the car is just too small (wasn't an option to get a different car, don't get me started on the cost of a car here ) so we had to buy FF. I am happy with the seat we have and happy that C also still fits comfortably into his capsule at 16.5m old and 11.8kg (!!) so we will use that until he grows out of it or BBII arrives.
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 7:52am
We rear-faced til 1, but 2 four-hour trips away with a screaming kid in the back because he was getting so frustrated, and me puking because I had to keep turning around to calm him down meant we FF him when we got home. He's a different kid now - we even tried him RF again for a while but it was a no-go. We can't find 2 RF carseats in our car either as we are both tall (doesn't matter what car either - we've tried in heaps!)

Question (not starting a debate, am purely interested) - are there stats on the survival or injury rates for RF v FF? I'm not talking the crash tests, but actual stats? We had a car crash at the start of the year which almost wrote off our car and DS didn't get hurt at all (not that that means anything, but I am just purely curious).
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 10:24am
emz I think there are overseas stats but not sure where you would find them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>