FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar seats - extended rear facing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 33>
Author
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 12:43pm
Chubby as and gaining quickly - over 10kg now, Master Fattypants, he is!

Anyways, so i have the carseat. (eta; its a radian)

The tether strap - it says in the manual they reccomend using it but it isnt compulsary. So this means legally i dont HAVE to use it? I intend on, but i'll need to get a bolt fitted in my floor but will need to use the seat before then. Though i've been told you can fit it around the runner of the front seat, can someone explain?

And when you're looking at the back of the carseat on one side is the coiled up tether strap and on the other side is.....? Looking at the manual i *think* it is this mystery LATCH strap, whats that for? Am i reading it right that you can install it with your seatbelt OR the latch strap thing?

Might be in over my head and have to take it to a safe2go person but keen as mustard to get it in and have already promised my old seat to someone else.

Edited by Bowie
Sponsored Links

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 1:21pm
ok, i'm going to answer in reverse order, but:

YES, the seatbelt OR latch is used to install. If you don't have latch, you don't get the choice obviously, but if you have both try them one at a time and see which gives you the best fit. The latch strap is the (red?) strap with the two clicky bits attached up the top of the carseat back. I don't think it's coiled up. It has two rectangular, heavy bits on the ends that attach to the latch anchor points in the car.

The coiled up thing with the clippy bit on the end (that is attached at two points at the sides near the top) is the tether strap. You use that to anchor it to the floor.

You don't need to get a special anchor point fitted in most cars. There should have been a short piece of strap in your box that has a fabric loop on one end and a metal loop on the other. Find a point on your front seat (usually the slider rail thingy) where there is a steel piece anchored to the floor. Slip the short strap around that and thread it through itself through the fabric loop. Then you'll have the metal loop anchored to the floor. Connect the clip of the tether strap to the metal loop, tighten the tether if required, and there you go - tethered

And yep, legally you don't need to use it, but it's safer if you do.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 3:58pm
Ooooh is that what that extra bit is for!! Right, gotcha. And yep what you've described is the mystery strap, thats good. I will be getting it tethered but would have had to drive with it to the mechanic to get it if that made sense so just checking. (would have had to if i needed the anchor piece that is, not now that i know what the mystery strap is for.)

Except now i have another problem - to get the straps under DSs shoulder line they're on the lowest of the harness slots but i can't pull the harness tight enough, the metal bit at the back hits the bottom of the seat and can't be pulled tighter if that makes sense. I will be for sure taking it to a safe2go tech tomorrow, that'll be fun, have to get someone to drive the car there and walk there with DS as i dont trust my installation enough to go all as one...why oh why am i so carseat retarded!

Edited by Bowie
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 4:27pm
Bowie look on youtube. There are clips in there with people actually installing their radians. I used that for help as well as asking questions.
I was lucky with tethering. When I pulled the plastic bit of the front seat runner there was a place I could clip the tether on to without having to use the strap, but when I use it in my mother's car I use the strap no worries.
We don't have latches in our car so its just the seat belt and tether.

E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 1:42pm
Got a radian yay! I was expecting to find installing it tricky but found it relatively easy. In saying that I looked at videos and found a few install threads that helped too. DD seems to love it too.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 2:19pm
YAY

_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 4:03pm
Thought i might join in this thread!

With my son i changed him to FF at 10.5 months because he hated RF and would just scream whenever he went in the car and i didn't know about the importance of RF. My daughter will be 20 months on the 26th of this month and i still have her RF. She has a Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite which i hate! It doesn't fit very well in our car and i find the straps are a pain in the ass. So i'm looking at getting her a new seat and my son (3y 9m) needs a new seat too. I've been doing HEAPS of research on car seats and extended harnessing etc and i think we've pretty much decided to get Radians. I just hope one will fit alright RF, the other will be FF.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 4:27pm
Deb- You can fit the Radians three across the back of most cars when they are either RF or FF. You can even put your DS RF as well (if he is under 20kg), I would try it and see if he now likes it, he will probably be able to see more now that he is bigger.

Cheeky Cherubs are having a sale on at the moment for $429 (thats about the most you will get off them) plus free shipping in NZ.

I totally recommend you get them as they are fantastic ask away if you have any more questions

_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 4:50pm
Wow that's a great deal! Thanks for that. We're waiting on a refund from IRD so i hope it comes through in time!

My son was 18kg 5 months ago so i'm guessing he'd be around 19kg now. I was thinking of RF him again but didn't know if it was worth it since he's so close to the limit. Maybe i'll get him weighed to see exactly how much does weigh.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 5:29pm
Deb- if you e-maill Jacquie and explain in sure she can work something out for you :D

Ah yeah if he is close to going over the limit then its better to FF cause then you dont have to worry that he has grown and gone over it.

_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 5:42pm
Thanks, i'll do that.

Yeah that's what i was thinking, since he's either at the limit or close to it. I'll be keeping my daughter RF for a lot longer!
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 7:57pm
Deb DD was 20 months on the 2nd she was in a safe n sound meridian AHR. The radian is way easier to get her in and out of. The tether straps were a pain, not so bad when she was little though.    
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by _Deb_ _Deb_ wrote:

Wow that's a great deal! Thanks for that. We're waiting on a refund from IRD so i hope it comes through in time!

My son was 18kg 5 months ago so i'm guessing he'd be around 19kg now. I was thinking of RF him again but didn't know if it was worth it since he's so close to the limit. Maybe i'll get him weighed to see exactly how much does weigh.

he would probably also be quite close to the height limit as Megan is getting there although only 17kgs and is around 104cms and has probably about 2" of room above her head.

E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 1:02pm
Deb cheeky cherubs do layby on sale items. 20% deposit with the balance over 6 weeks. That should give you time for the refund!   
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 11:17am
Esmesmum the tether on SnS are such a pain. We had one when our son was younger and i hated the tether when it was RF. Good idea about the layby. IRD said it'll be paid by the 18th which is tomorrow, so i'm hoping it'll be in tomorrow.

NM my son was 106cm last time we measured him. So yeah he probably wouldn't have much room height wise either then.

Can't wait to get the seats! It's funny as parents what we get excited about.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 3:42pm
He may be 106cm long but how long is his body in relation to his legs? I would see if you can try him in one before you buy one as he might still have a while. Baby on the move stock them.

_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 4:10pm
Well since he'll be FF it doesn't really matter. He should have plenty of room to grow FF. I really wanted to try the seats in our car before buying but i think the closest BOTM is in Wellington.
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 7:04am
I've put my order in for two Radians. Can't wait to get them! I ordered the Nitro for my son and the Petal for my daughter.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 9:55am
Woo hoo yay :D

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 1:07am
They are getting rid of the Ventrua!! Thats my print I hope they replace it with another cotton (And good looking) print..

+1 May 09 Angel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 33>