FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar seats - extended rear facing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>
Author
ereynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2011 at 9:54am
Emmi_, AxKid website. :) We looked at them at Baby on the move- If you have one in your area you could perhaps go and have a look?

Sponsored Links

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2011 at 2:25pm
oh ta! I saw BOTM at an expo a month or so ago and said they were bringing them out, but when I asked for more info online they said wait and be patient... gah! Will check outt he link, thank you!

+1 May 09 Angel
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2011 at 8:00pm
Hi Emmi - there is some info on the Child Restraint Safety.com FB page about Axkid (17th September)

Also, there is this Axkid

Edited by MamaT

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2011 at 8:23pm
Is BOTM bringing in the Kidzone one?

+1 May 09 Angel
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2011 at 8:51pm
From what they said on the FB page it looks like it

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2011 at 9:27pm
BUMP!!!!

How is everyone going with the rear facing? I have got a job now which means I get to spread the love, see below, I just copied and pasted it!

I have the fortune to be training to be a Plunket car seat technicion. I learnt a new piece of info the other day about putting rear facing seats in the middle of the back seats. If you have a fold down arm rest and the car seat does not cover at least 50% of it you need to remove the arm rest or move the seat away from the middle! I had to take my armrest out as my radian only covered about 20% of it and it could easily fold down and whack my girl in a crash. Please pass this on!

Did anyone else know about this? It makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 10:20pm
2 years and 4 years and still rearfacing :)

chuffed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuffed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 1:08pm
I'm not sure where this has all come from on Facebook but the law says install as per the manufacturers instructions and you obviously would go via your car manual. I have just spoken to another trainer for this and she had never heard of it and her first comment was they've made it up.
Many/most sedans have a fold-down armrest and this is not an issue: Simply fold-up the center position armrest and install the seat according to the instructions in the manual. As always, if for some reason the contour/construction of any vehicle seating position does not allow for a stable and secure installation, use a different location within the vehicle.
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 2:43pm
i looked into this too chuffed and basically came up with unless the car manual or carseat manual put limitations on it, it was ok. So I've left mine there. It seems very secure, I think it would have to snap to fall fowards.
Princess_Bubs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess_Bubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 8:55pm
Just found this great thread and I'm sure some of you can help with my car seat dilemma!

I am looking at a safety 1st air protect which rear faces from birth-16kgs. It has a base it snaps on and off off so can be used with snap and go wheels (although antenatal classes have put me off using them - thoughts?)

Do you think this car seat really is ok from birth ? I had originally looked at radian's but the general consensus seems to be not to use them from birth?

Help! Every time we go to buy a car seat we get frustrated and walk away!

Thanks in advance

Two Precious Angel Babies 2010 / 2011
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 7:25pm
I now work for Plunket and we recommend that you use a capsule for the first 6 months or so as the convertable car seats that go from birth usually dont cater very well for new babies, as the straps dont condense small enough. I would have a look at hiring a seat from Baby on the move or your local plunket car seat hire until bubs fits whatever seat you choose to buy.

And yeah I agree with the antental classes, you should limit your use of the capsule/seat to the car only. If you are going shopping then its much much better to either wear baby in a sling/wrap/carrier or to put them in a stroller lying flat. Capsules/car seats are not designed to keep little babies airways open properly so what happens is the slump down, their jaw disengages and their tongue covers their airway. You dont get this in a carrier or stroller!

I have a Radian seat and I love it! The new one is pretty awesome cause it converts into a booster and has high weight limits for RF, FF with a harness then FF booster without a harness. They can take up a bit of room in your car but there is a new pad that you can put under them once baby is over 1 to make the seat more upright.

MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 9:06pm
I used a Safe n Sound convertible carseat with DS from birth and found it good, when the Radians came into the country DS was almost 6months so he was in that from then.
For this baby we will be buying either the Diono or importing a Two Way Elite for DS1 and putting the new baby in the Radian. I know T-Rex had her newborn in the Radian, you PM her of you wanted her advice on that.

I personally don't like the idea of hiring a carseat where you don't know the history, so won't be hiring a capsule for baby

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 9:06pm
Can you put the pad under the old ones? or jsut the new ones?
Weve hired a capsule from plunket, mostly cos I couldnt make up my mind about what seat to get.. now I ahve another 6 months to work it out (although if I can get the radian to install more upright that will prob clinch the deal for us)

+1 May 09 Angel
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 9:11pm
Yes you can use the angle adjuster pad under the old Radians Emmi

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 9:15pm
oohh cool! Where can I get one from?? (thats in stock)

+1 May 09 Angel
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 9:45pm
I don't think they arrive until mid-late January. I think you can order through baby universe

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 10:15pm
Thank you!

+1 May 09 Angel
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 4:34pm
Is there a height limit for rear facing (on the older style Radians) or is it the same as the height limit for FF? I've been through the manual and have concluded tht there doesn't seem to be one but just thought I would check to make sure I haven't missed it somewhere.

So would I be correct in saying there is a weight limit for rear facing that is lower than the FF limit but the height limit is the same?

TIA

MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 4:50pm
As far as I'm aware, the height limit is when the child's head reaches the top of the shell of the seat. This will be the same whether rear or forward facing.
So yes, the weight limit for rearfacing is lower than that of forward facing, but height limits are the same.

Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 4:59pm
Awesome. Thank you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>