FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar seats - extended rear facing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 33>
Author
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:57am
We used a capsule with base for the first 5 months. It was the best thing we couldn've done. We were intending to go with a convertable from birth but couldn't decide in time so decided to hire a capsule instead. From about 3 months I tended to leave it in the car as I was finding it hard to carry it with her in it (I'm a shorty) but if she was asleep and it wasn't far I'd carry her in it. Her carseat now has annoying tether straps but it's one of the only ones I could find that fits nicely into our car (stupid small back seats!) But as she is older it's easy to lift her in over them.
Sponsored Links

sem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 10:16am
What is a tether straps and why are they annoying? I read similar comments before and just looked it up on google but it doesn't make much sense to me
Here we go again, another baby on it's way!
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 11:49am
Susyl, tether straps usually go from the sides of the carseat (up near the headrest of the carseat) to a bolt behind the seat the carseat is sitting on. It is to provide extra stability. It means that when the carseat is rearfacing, the straps go across the space from the carseat headrests to the seat back. There is one coming from each side of the carseat to a single bolt, so they make a triangle shape. The baby has to be lifted over or under these each time you get them in or out. My girl has been in one of these from birth and she's already very good and holding her body just right for lifting in and out, but I have to admit that I have bumped her head on the doorway more than once

Hopefully that makes some kind of sense!
millymollymandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millymollymandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:47pm
I have DD who 9 months is 6.5 kg and 66 cm, so she'll fit her capsule for a bit longer. Usually she sleeps if we are going for a long journey, but last week we went out in the late afternoon and she stayed awake. She was really grizzly and then vomitted everywhere. Was happy as   when we stopped so I know it was car sickness.

I would like to keep her rear facing for as long as possible, but I dont want her hating the car and throwing up all the time.

What can I do to stop her being sick? Someone said heat rather the motion can be factor - is that right?
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:31pm
We had toys hanging for Jake to watch and found when we removed them he stopped getting car sick...

I loosen the tether straps before taking J out or putting him in and re tighten.... No way I could lift him over or under them they are so annoying!

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:48pm
Baby on the move have been super helpful - they recommend using the capsule for the first 3 months or until baby is too big I guess then moving to a car seat.
The Brio Zento is pretty flash but it can RF up to 25kgs, approx what age is that? It has the ability to recline into a couple of positions allowing room for legs between the car seat and the back of the car. Not cheap but then if its going to allow RF for extended period of time I think will be worth it.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 5:01pm
Hmm, depends so much on the child hun. The boy I looked after in London was 18kg at 4 years old so he would have been rear facing for some time in that seat!

Jake is 8kg at 13 months and hasnt actually gained weight since 9 months (hmm cant wait to see Plunket! praying he gains a kg in 2 months so they dont harrass me!). and if I go by standard growth Jake would probably rear face until 7 or 8 in that seat LOL

I went and looked at the cosco today at the warehouse... I dont think its going to fit Baby on the move are awesome! I am going to pop in sometime this week and see how it goes in the car FX.

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:06pm
Different car seats have different tether strap arrangements - BOTM might be able to advice on which ones are easier than others
Mum to two wee boys
sem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:20pm
Do they have a showroom somewhere in Auckland?
I emailed them a couple of days ago with some price enquiries re hiring but haven't heard back from the yet.
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:25pm
When I was looking with Dan, there was one in West Harbour.
Mum to two wee boys
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:00pm
There's another BOTM around the corner from my parents in Hillcrest on the North Shore (just in someone's house by the looks) Loving how self sustaining this thread is now, everybody's getting so knowledgeable - yay thanks everyone!

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:54pm
Thanks for starting it weegee - its so frustrating when sales people don't know anything about RF.
BOTM have been great - if I can RF till 2-3 I'd be happy with that.
IMO 1yr is just too little to be FF.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:55pm
Susyl I was having a look at the Waitakere Trust Car Seat scheme - says you can get them for free - not sure that we'd qualify being working people and all.
Will talk to Plunket when we get to Akl.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
sem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:07pm
It def doesn't matter how much you earn, but it depends on where you live (within the Waitakere Licencing Trust area).
No idea of the boundries but am pretty sure Hobsonville falls under it.
They ask for a $25 donation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:13pm
Depends on if we get Whenuapai or Hobsonville - Whenuapai is within the area - didn't see Hobsonville listed. $25 donation is nothing.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:32pm
Nope the Hillcrest one has closed down apparently. I used Melanie and I lost her number and emailed and was told she doesnt do it anymore but there is a show room somewhere on the shore.. I have an email from them will dig it out later.

Thank you Weegee!

You are right CJ, 1 is so little, especially when your 1 year is little!

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:35pm
regarding the BRIO I have heard some children have to be turned forward facing well before they hit 25kgs (say 5kgs or more to go) because they out grew it height wise.

I am getting a radian in July and although it only RF to 20kgs it had a higher shell than the BRIO so with any luck my 2.5 year old will hit the weight limit befor the height limit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 1:50pm

Unless our kid gets some remote hidden height gene - they aren't going to be tall. I'm a short arse and DH is average bloke height.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Muz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 2:40pm
Does anyone have any feedback on the Safety 1st All-In-One Convertible? Just found it on BOTM and RF to 16kg like the cosco one. Not sure of price yet.
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 7:55pm
http://buying4baby.com/safety-1st-all-in-one-convertible-car-seat-review/500/

going by that it does seem quite wide 61.5cm just to compare the radian is about 43cms wide.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 33>