FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRice milk intolerance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rice milk intolerance
    Posted: 19 June 2010 at 2:47pm
Not sure if anyone else has come across this before.

Ricemilk can cause hives & dry skin.

I was blaming it on egg, the introduction of neocate & god knows what else, didn't even consider rice milk to be the cause even though I'd heard of it before.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 8:06pm
Wow, I woulnt have thought that could cause a reaction, but then I guess u can be allergic to anything really.
Aiden seems really intollerant to even a tiny ammount of soy in my diet, yet Isla lived on soy milk and products- she was allergic to dairy, and had multiple other inollerences.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 8:27pm
No, I had no idea until my friend told me of her DD's reaction, so I was aware of it, just didn't even think of it in our case.

I think what it is, is more of a reaction to wholemeal rice. I thought he reacted to Only Organic Baby rice & also an american based one, I tried to tell myself I was silly. Also he had a patch on his leg of these hives, why on earth no one told me they were hives, is beyond me (including paeds!) This was when I was making my own wholegrained rice cereal.

So far, dairy, goat, soy & now rice has been checked off our list...crossed fingers Oat will be ok otherwise I'll have to bake for him with neocate...which I still don't have a script for!
Kel

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 10:33am
Oh no! Just what you need eh?

Fingers crossed for oats.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 10:58am
Eeek, that is hard. Whats he drinking?! Neocate scirpts are such a pain, take forever to organise- has the Paed applied for it yet?
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 6:20pm
No And we don't even get to see the Paed again until Sept! Am seeing my Dr next friday so will see what he's done. Will give him updates & see what he thinks. I've got neocate LCP because of some kind people & word of mouth but he's fighting even drinking that!

Right now we're going so backwards in what he can eat.

I had oat milk on cereal this morning & it's actually quite nice.
Kel

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 6:21pm
I think that he has an issue with rice full stop now. Gave him white rice cereal that I made for lunch today & poohed within 15mins so that's not a good sign.
Kel

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 9:08pm
No thats not a good sign. Bugger about the Paed appt, thats ages away. Hopefully the GP is helpful, and can hopefully fast track the appt, or as u have seen the Paed before, maybe the Dr could speak to or email the Paed about a presciption before u see him next.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 10:56pm
I actually doubt that the paed would give us the script. He'd want me to see the dietitian again before then. That appointments end of Aug!

I suppose one can only hope for the best!

At least I know my RPAH elimination diet book is on it's way as they've charged my credit card

We had pancakes for tea I had no idea what I else could give him. I think I've hit a food idea brick wall.
Kel

Mum_me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum_me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2010 at 1:21am
Crap news Kel, always terrible to lose a staple food like that.

We had a similar problem with DS. He is allergic to Milk, eggs, nuts and soy and also gluten intolerant and he wouldn't touch neocate. So rice milk was our only option until he started getting hives and eczema from it at about 14months old.

It totally screwed us - as it was really our only option. (Oat milk was out because of the gluten risk)

For him, I think it was the sunflower oil - as the reactions only started after he had a reaction to sunflower seeds.   I have heard of other kids reacting to the chickpeas in the protein enriched one. And in some parts of the world (such as asia) rice allergies are relatively common.

Thankfully for us after about 6months when he started outgrowing his salicylate & glutamate intolerances (after a lot of help from to AAE - now allergy pathway) he also started tolerating the rice milk again. Now he is fine with it.

Fingers crossed it is just a temporary thing for your little boy too!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2010 at 12:41pm
Gee thats really hard, dont know what else to sugest.
Its strange how diff Drs/differend hospitals work eh? I asked and asked to see a dieticain, and we were never referred- they said we didnt need one. Even when I kept saying I was really struggling with what to feed her, and wanted meal and food ideas.
drumstx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumstx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2010 at 8:14pm
hey kel, i am in dannevirke and if u ever want to catch up and chat to someone on a similar path, would be glad to... jack is allergic to egg dairy rice chicken soy and barley proteins. we have been to starship and he is now peg fed, as he hardly eats. we survive on neocate advance and calogen to make him grow. sounds like u are having a hard time with palmy... we were in hamilton when jack started showing signs thank goodness, as i too, am pulling my hair out with the crazy system at the hosp. pm me if you would like to catch up
caro
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 10:31pm
Thanks Caro, it's surely frustrating. Are you on the neocatekids email group? How old is your little man?

I feel a bit better cause I can get full strength dose of neocate into him at breakfast & I'm giving him more breast feeds.

I feel sorry for him, he wants to eat but I can't allow him to have stuff.

Lets hope my Dr has some brilliant ideas on friday.
Kel

drumstx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumstx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 10:37pm
no, but will look for it now, and jack turned 2 in april, he has had his peg for10 months. will x fingers for friday for you... hope u got a good doc to see, remember u the mumma and make yourself heard!! (thats me on my soapbox hehehe)
 Post Reply Post Reply