FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat now??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What now??
    Posted: 30 June 2010 at 5:49pm

Yesterday evening when bathing DS I noticed a rash on his back and a few spots on his chest and upper arms. His excema on his chin was looking a lot worse. His bottom was looking a little red too.

Now again just now I've changed his nappy and his poo was a slightly green colour and very sticky. His poor bottom is red raw,

The patches on his back aren't looking angry today, but are still there.

The only thing I've eaten that is different is Whittakers Dark Chocolate. Since hearing that it is dairy free I've been gorging on it. I've eaten almost the entire block since getting it on Monday afternoon.

Could there be something in it that is causing a reaction in him or am I missing something else that it could possibly be??

Sponsored Links

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:12pm
Is it the Ghanna block? Could be all the cocoa? Sorry I'm not sure! Just thinking what might be in it... I've just learned bread sets off Lily's eczema which is at it's worst ever, but not sure what exactly in the bread is causing it...
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:29pm
Yes, you will have o'd him on the chocolate!

Cut down to a couple of rows a night & see how he copes
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:41pm
If ISla has too much sugar it still makes her eczema come up, and I have noticed that Aiden gets patches on his cheeks if Im eating too much of my home baking, and it goes away when I cut down on sugar and flares again when I have more sugar than normal again too.
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:45pm
Ok thanks. Yay, at least I don't have to give it up completely

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 10:03pm
He might have a smaller tolerance than a couple of rows but it's some where to start. I probably od Cooper as well, didn't even think about it
Kel

RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 4:30pm

Whoops, I did this to Mac too.

Lucky his Dad got to change the nappy though and not me!!!

MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 10:26am

Well, I haven't had any more chocolate since I posted this and have really been watching my sugar intake, but the rash is not getting any better.

I will take him back to the doctors tomorrow I think and it would probably be a good idea to keep a food diary too.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 12:31pm
there's dairy free choc?OMG!! i am dairy free due to the excema on my son.. my other son who had cows milk protein allergy didnt have these issues to the same extent but then he was on neocate at 10 weeks..

had you already narrowed it down to dairy for him?
Mum to two amazing boys!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 2:33pm

Yeah, it seems to be dairy, but I wonder if it is also something else.

He had reflux and after trying different medications things weren't getting much better, then someone suggested cutting out dairy. Five days later and he was improving drastically, after the two weeks he was a different baby. No more screaming and fighting at the breast, a major reduction in spewing and generally just a lot more settled. My Mum who doesn't get to see him much couldn't believe the difference in him when she came up for the weekend.

Since cutting out dairy we have been able to wean him off losec. But, the dairy free hasn't helped his excema any and as I say, he now has a rash on his body and the excema on his face.

Oh yeah, and the dairy free chocolate is Whittakers Dark (not sure if I mentioned that earlier)

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 3:34pm
Tara, have you cut out soy? Or wheat is another one that causes eczema. Not sure if soy does, it was more like a blistery rash here.
Kel

RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 3:57pm

Tara, your boy sounds exactly like Mac.

His Eczema is hideous at the moment, as is his nappy rash but I'm wondering if it's teething rather than food.

I'm trying taking Rice out of his diet to see what happens. It's all a big trial and error game I've found.

"Try this...nope thats not it...try that...nope that ain't it either. Give this a go...Oh it's fixed...oh but now...."

Yep, story of my life and I'm guessing yours as well.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 4:01pm
There is the unfortunate thing that when you cut out a major allergen lessor ones start "appearing" but it's more like they were already there but being masked by the big one.

I hate that we have to deal with teething as it does make you second guess everything!

There is also withdrawal symptoms, which is why you need to withdraw that food for at least 10 days.
Kel

RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 7:30pm
Oh good to know it needs to be 10 days.
No rice at all today. Nappy rash looking great.
Eczema is still bad and getting worse.

Could be teething doing that or it could be one or more of the foods I'm feeding.
Apple, pear, pumpkin and carrot. Thats the only food going into him. That and "Monavie" which for anyone who doesn't know is supposed to be some super fruit drink that's a cure all that Mac's Dad suggested we try.
But he's no suggesting I try NOT giving it to him to see if his skin improves.

Will give it 10 days without the rice, and if no improvement I'll try taking the Monavie out.

If the rash goes away with having no Rice, do I need to try giving him rice again after the 10 days to see if the rash comes back? Kind of like a confirmation?

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 10:53pm
Yeah you could, that's kinda what I'm going to do.

Are you having wheat?

Where is his eczema? Too me teething nappy rash & a allergy rash/eczema is quite different.
Kel

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 10:58pm
Oh they say you can cut it out for 4 days but withdrawals tend to happen around days 3-4 so I think 10 days or at least 7 to be more certain.

I cut out wheat today, not intentionally, but Cooper didn't have the blistery face rash he's been getting by the end of the day.
Kel

RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 1:13pm
His Eczema has always been around his face (and this hasn't been getting any worse over the last week or so but has stayed constant) but over the last week the Eczema is now on his shoulders, back of his neck, arm creases, leg creases, upper thigh, buttocks.

His nappy rash on the front above his boy bits is bumpy and angry looking (well it's not there at the mo but when it is there...). Around his butt it's more Eczema like to me.

MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 4:20pm

Hmmm maybe I need to look at wheat.

I took him to the doctor today just to get anything major ruled out, prognosis is... it could be anything. It could be excema, it could be an intolerance, it could be something else entirely. His mouth was checked and it doesn't look like it is teething at all.

He has spots all over his back and chest and now has round excemery looking marks on his shoulders, head, back, chest, arms, and thighs. The doctor just told me to keep putting aqueous cream on it and see how it goes.

I've taken photos so will show it all to the paed when we see them next week.

Kel - I don't have much soy. I haven't had soy milk in over a week, but could be getting it from other foods etc I guess.

You are dairy and wheat and soy free aren't you?? What on earth do you eat?

RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 4:57pm
Yeah our doctor wasn't much help today either.
Just told us it's only mild Eczema and that he'll grow out of it.

Well cheers buddy. Today it looks fine, tomorrow it could look like a whole different rash. COME ON!!!

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 5:13pm
No I haven't cut wheat out YET but my blood tests (RAST not back yet) is showing some funky stuff which the nurse said could be to do with allergic responses. TBH I really really don't want to cut wheat out, that will truely suck!

I'll put it in another thread as I have a question about it.

Tara, cut wheat out for a couple of day or cut down the amount of wheat you eat & see if that makes a difference? I think it would respond quite quickly? Cooper hasn't had wheat for 2 days & his skin is looking better.
Kel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>