FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTransferring after c-section?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transferring after c-section?
    Posted: 05 September 2010 at 4:48pm
So I missed out on going to a birthing/maternity unit after having both kids (DS was in NICU and I went home 2 days after he was released, and I lost too much blood with DD and live just up the road from hospital) but as this is my last baby, I'd really like to experience the little things i missed out on previously (apart from attempting a VBA2C, I'll skip that bit thank you very much lol!)

Has anyone transferred to a unit after a c-section?? I'd be particularly interested in any experiences with Botany/papakura if theres anyone on here who's been there post c-section... whats the care/help like etc?
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Sponsored Links

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 9:07pm
Lisa I went to pukekohe the day after I had Bella, got there at about 1pm I think and an ambulence took us.

They make you stay 12 hours at middlemore to make sure you and bubs are all good. They wanted my cathater out and me up and walking a little bit before i was to go.

LILLIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 12:34pm
I transferred to Botany on the Wednesday afternoon, Baylee was born early hours of Monday morning. I chose to stay at MM longer.

I found it quite lonely. They check you in and they tend to just leave you to it. In saying that though, every time I needed them they came as soon as they could . Very nice and supportive.

LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 9:07pm
Transfered both times to botany the next day after having the ceasar. Both boys were born in the morning at MM I stayed over night there and the next day around lunch time left by ambulance and went to Botany. Excellent there, so supportive and caring. But i suppose it depends who's on and what nurses you get.
Stayed 4 days with DS2 and 5 with DS1. The food was really yum and i like the fact you could go into the dining room anytime and watch t.v or make a milo or make toast e.t.c.
If usually have your own room if you have a ceasar, i did both times.
Would go there again was really supportive and helpful and friendly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 1:40pm
Yeah Pukekohe is like that too, I went into the lounge and watched TV and stuff, it was good tog et out of my poky little room.
The food is great at Puke as well

kazzam34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kazzam34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 2:44pm
I am glad that you have mentioned that they transfer you by ambulance, I was worried about that as understand that if it is a normal birth in a hospital you are responsible for arranging your own transport to the local unit and thought it might still be the same after a caesarean...Was concerned about my husband having to drive me there after a C-section, so am glad that it sounds as though they send you by ambulance!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 9:17am
Yeah, you can get yourself driven to the materity units if you want to, but having the ambulence take you is much more convienient.
They strap the baby in this special harness thingy in the bassinet and then to a gurney thing(it locks into palce and stuff).
And then I just sat on a seat thing and held on over the bumps and stuff lol. My husband pushed me in a wheel chair to the ambo, while the ambo lady pushed bubs and same into the maternity unit.

Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 9:57am
Thanks!! What is it like for visiting there, I know at hospital its 2pm-8pm for anyone other than partner/father of baby, but are siblings allowed to visit outside the usual visiting hours, i.e accompanied by dad? It would suck for DP to miss out on all that time with the new baby simply because hes stuck waiting til 2pm cos of the other 2... (in theory it would be more like 3.30pm as he'd be on school pick-up duties too)

What about lactation consultants, or at least help getting BF established?? Are they easier to get help from at Botany than at hospital? All I got were 2 nurses trying to get Jae latched on when she went on her wee nursing strike on night 2, but not showing me how to do it myself, which is what I really needed, I ended up paying a LC to make a housecall and help me out, but it was already too late

Oh and what do they provide? At MMH they provided disposable nappies, and basic bedding, but do Botany provde anything different (for e.g I know papakura provide the old flat cloth nappies, and clean them for you, but if you want to use disposables, you bring your own), or are they exactly the same?
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Post Reply Post Reply