FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMeal Plans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meal Plans
    Posted: 06 September 2010 at 2:03pm
What do you eat for Breakfast, lunch, dinner, Snacks? Do you stick to a plan? Count cals? What works for you?
Sponsored Links

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 8:05pm

I try to fill up on fruit and veges throughout the day.  Atm I'm also keeping track of calories but more out of interest than serious calorie counting.

I have a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit for breakfast every morning.  Morning tea is more fruit. 

Lunch is where I'm failing because I work until 1pm without a lunch break, get my son at about 1:15pm and travel home with him then only have a short time before I need to pick up my daughter from kindy so I don't get much time to eat (let alone prepare) a healthy meal.  I either grab something quick and easy or skip it altogether - not good either way.  I've started trying to eat a more substantial meal at morning tea and then having a snack at about 12:30pm which works well.  The only trouble is finding something I can keep in my draw at work that's healthy, filling, quick and gluten free.

Afternoon tea is often corn thins or popcorn, sometimes yoghurt and more fruit and dinner is usually a portion of meat, tonnes of veges and a portion of carbs (gluten free pasta, rice or potato).

I drink heaps of water and don't even have juice or fizzy in the house.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 10:34am
I tend to eat the same things its quick and I dont have to think about it ..

Most of the time if you dont have a plan, you end up eating crap because your hungry and need something "now"
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 10:59am
I have got out of my planned meals & now eat stuff I shouldn't.

I do lunch boxes for the 2 at school, lunch for DH & when I don't he will buy his lunch...which is not always a good thing. DS3 starts morning kindy soon so he will take a lunch box 2x a week.

I need to sort out meals I like & will eat & stick to them. Sometimes I feel in such a rush or forget then I will pick & eat more than I planed.

I have gone back to buying fizz (diet coke) fdor me & DH & snack stuff for the kids but end up eating them. Need to get back on track & the kids don't need that stuff either...old habits are hard to break sometimes..
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 11:14am
I had the same thing for breakfast and lunch and varied things for dinner. Lunch was really easy for me.. I just have a salad. I had a container with a mixture of nuts and seeds and I'd chuck some of those in a bowl. a small hand full of crispy noodles, a squirt of salad dressing, and then grab my vege. I'd spend 10 mins every few days chopping up the vege and had them prepared in the fridge so making my lunch took all of 5 mins. I also added egg and that only takes a few mins to cook.
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 1:07pm
My Mum just gave me a whole lot of old copies of The NZ Healthy Eating Guide magazine, and I have been following their weekly meal plans. I have found them fantastic, especially the recipes for dinner as they are generally pretty straight forward but really really tasty.
Normally for brekkie we will have either muesli & banana or a couple of weetbix and one slice of grainy toast or a banana berry smoothie or poached eggs on grainy toast. Mid morning snack - small handful of nuts and piece of fruit. Lunch - filled pita with tuna and salad or a low fat potato salad, or pasta salad. Afternoon snack - piece of homemade fruit slice and pottle of yoghurt. Examples of dinner have been lamb with chickpea tabouli, fragrant poached chicken on rice with green beans, chicken meatballs with tomato risoni. Yummo!
Lou
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 1:57pm
I have always thought about meal plans, and never done them. I need to start. My biggest problem is that I don't start dinner until after the girls are in bed (so 7-7.30pm) which means it's usually around 8pm by the time I eat...and by that time I just can't be stuffed!! From 4.30pm until their bedtime it's just madness, and I don't have the time to cook, sit down and eat my own tea. I get the Healthy Food Guide and various other recipe books, just need to sit down and make the actual meal plan!!

Also, for lunch I tend to eat what they eat...so fruit, marmite on toast, fish fingers, chicken nuggets etc. Not good!!!
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 2:12pm

I don't meal plan as such but we have a fair idea of what we are going to eat during the day. I have an egg on toast every week day morning and a sandwich or salad for lunch with tuna usually. If I don't make the salad then I either get an over priced wrap from the cafe at work or go into town and get sushi. Dinner is usually made in a rush as we don't get home for work/daycare/afterschool care till 6pm most nights so if we havne't been organised the night before it is a rush job to make something. We have takeaways 1 night a week.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 9:50pm
I usually plan dinners and work out other meals around that..(doing weight watchers)

breakfast is usulaly cereal yoghurt (poured over cereal) with banana and sometimes kiwifruit. occasionally I will have bacon and eggs, or nuttella and banana on toast.

will usuall have some fruit and something like light cream cheese on cruskits or corn thins for my snacks

Lunch is somethig like pita bread with chicken chop chop with some parmesan cheese. toat the pita bread....then cut the top off. put the chicken and cheese in the pocket and lightly fry in the pan till crisp.

Jacobsmumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobsmumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 1:33pm

Hi Jazzy,  I usually have the same thing for breaky during the week, so porriage with sliced almonds and a drizzle of either honey or maple syrup. 

Lunch will be either ham and salad wrapped in mountain bread or chop chop chicken with brown rice & mixed veg. 

Dinners are also pretty much the same but lately I've been making salads to accompany our main meal so that I have less of the other foods on my plate.

Snacks will be either a museli bar or salada crackers with some colby cheese & tomato on top or a cup of soup with salada crackers.  I also have a problem with eating the left overs from my Son's lunch, which I need to stop doing. 

I've also just started calorie counting online so that I can get a general idea of how much I'm eating and to try to make sure I get the calories-in and calories-burnt balance right.  Have just started so we'll see how that goes

(9lbs 6ozs)

(11lbs 4ozs)
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 4:14pm
thanks for your ideas.

DH & I are going to plan some meals this weekend.....the whole family is going to do healthy eating DH wants to lose a few ks, he was skinny tall kid but has put on about 10ks since we have been together. The kids will fell the difference big time, no more snacky stuff, but lots of fruit & veg.

Ekk where to start...but it will be so much easier as I had to plan my food & that did not always go to plan & then sort out DH & the kids food
 Post Reply Post Reply