FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFruit / Vege gardening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2010 at 4:51pm
Loving this thread and all the helpful advice ladies!

Even inspired me to dig my own patch today and plant some new veges in it! Had to build a bird cover for it though as we have birds/possums etc galore living semi rural!

Look forward to reading more helpful hints!
Sponsored Links

HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2010 at 5:10pm
I just planted some herbs (dill, rosemary, parsley) and lettuce over the weekend. Our vege patch needed an overhual! We still have some silverbeet left over but all the other winter veges or what was let of them came out. I dont have a lot of space so try to plant things that dont spread too much.

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2010 at 5:29pm

I got all inspired over the weekend too.  I cleared a whole pile of weeds and gorse and moved a whole pile of soil into my raised bed.  When I have some money I'm going to buy beans, celery (because mine is not looking good - I think it's too old!) and spinach (because I use so much of it).  I have pepper seeds in a tray and one of my pumpkin seeds has sprouted (Yay!).  Next plan is to get some spring onion seeds in too - I've not had much success with them yet but hopefully this time!  Might try potatoes and carrots too.

Oh...does anyone know how to take seeds from broccoli that is going to seed?  I will google it but any tips would be great.  My one plant that wasn't devoured by snails looks like it isn't going to amount to much.

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:11am
We just planted our yellow and green beans and 3 different kinds of peas. Some silverbeet and spinach in.

So tonight the plan is to get the capsicum and chilli in. We have a huge amount of mesclun that we can start to use. And my tamato plants need to go in the ground as well now. Yum yum salads here we come.

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 11:27am
We just moved to my auntys and have to start her garden all over again. I left behind my awesome broad beans, they are at chest height! Im the fan of planting anything and everything, if it doesnt grow for the first year I research it more and if it fails after the second year I give up! I have a small hydroponic system for two tomatoes, its is completely manual, no electricity needed, only need to top up water!

Happymumma- feeding citrus in pots is tricky, but we swear by worm juice from our worm farm and DF likes peeing on it too! Just dont let them do it too much as you will get major leaf curl.....which is what we have got!

Anyone got any ideas about how to keep stupid chickens out of the garden? My aunty has lots of them and they get free range of the place, and I dont want them digging up my veges!

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:40pm

We were very active in our garden on the weekend. I have tomatoes, beans, peas, courgettes, cucumbers, beetroot, eggplant and a few other things in the ground now.

Aethalia, you will need to box the garden in and cover it with chicken wire.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 1:19pm
Aethalia can you explain your hydroponic system??  I could do with something like that.  I'm hopeless at the watering bit!
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:46pm
Mummy_becks- Hmmmm I dont think that would work, I want to grow tall stuff like broad beans, Im thinknig I might have to build a tall fence *sigh

Happymumma- Its called Autopot- Its a hydroponic system that uses no electricity. It is quite pricey ($150) and I only got it due to the lovely IRD and a nice tax refund! lol. In short, It comes with two growing trays, and a special valve that lets the water in, the plants use it, then it stays closed for a while before letting more water in. I have just put my two heritage tomatoes in it last week- one beefsteak and one cherry. The link is below to the NZ site.

http://www.bearforest.co.nz/

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 10:41pm

Yeah if you are wanting to grow climbers you will need to fence it off then, but then chickens can find ways of getting in there too. Good luck with that.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
DzinerGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:24am
Ohhh I was *just* thinking the other day that OB needed a thread on Vege gardens - YAY!

Originally posted by JoJames JoJames wrote:

Dh has been using egg cartons to raise seedlings, then just planting the whole thing in the ground.

Ohhhh GREAT idea!!!!!

My sister and I attempted to start a vege garden at the beginning of winter (prob not the best time to start I think!??) but rather than sitting down and planning like I wanted to she rushed ahead and just planted willy nilly and then promptly forgot all about it, I tried to keep it going but with a newborn and the crappy weather i didn't suceed very well but now the weather is improving and I know DS's "routine" I plan on getting out and starting again.

What have you found the easiest to grow?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:32am

I've asked the OhBaby team to consider giving us a separate section for gardening up by the craft and recipes bit.  They are going to consider it at their next meeting.  I figured there are enough of us that it might be good to be able to break up our questions / comments for easier locating.

Dzinergirl I have found that silverbeet and spinach will grow for me anywhere.  In this garden I also find that celery grows easily and had great success with cherry tomatoes last year.  I'm the kind of gardener who does little bits now and then so those were all things that grew without huge input or care from me.

Aethalia hmmmm...that system sounds great but a tad outside my budget at the moment!!  I guess I will just have to stop being lazy and water everything properly!!

DzinerGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzinerGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:41am
Originally posted by happymumma happymumma wrote:

I'm the kind of gardener who does little bits now and then so those were all things that grew without huge input or care from me.

My kind of gardner!

I wish I had a green thumb but it stays decidedly pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:50am

Mine is weirdly green at times - and pink at others!  I have some fantastic looking roses and some great veges and then other things just don't seem to grow at all.  Spring onions are my current challenge!

Mum_mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum_mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 7:42pm
I have my DH do all this for me but this year being home I might take more of an interest in the weeding side of things to help him out.

DH has just dug up and turned over the garden but we usally plant courgettes, pumpkins, potatoes, silverbeet, beans, corn, onions, garlic, lettuce, brocolli and tomatos in the garden.

We also have gooseberries, strawberries, raspberrys and blueberries... YUM!

DH also thinks that this year he is going to plant the FRONT lawn in corn ..... ermmmmm not so sure on that idea!

Angel baby - May 2008
Kelz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 8:12pm
Hi OHbaby Gardening gurus!

You now have your own section under Fun Stuff (thanks to happymumma)!

This thread has been copied over to there.

Check it out

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 8:13pm
Same here Hannahbil DP is normally the gardener, this year though he was taking too long to get his butt into gear so i took over.

We have heaps of seeds so i just put them into punnets, DD was helping and i tipped heaps of lettuce seeds in by accident now we have HEAPS sprouting lol.

I cant wait until our veges are ready. Our apple & peach tree have had heaps of bees hanging around this year so hopefully we get some fruit. Last year we had no peaches, but the year before we had hundreds of them.

We planted our apple tree nearly 2 years ago, does anyone know how long it will take before we start getting apples?

myonlineself View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myonlineself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 4:30pm
We have quite a shady area against the south side of our house - is there likely to be anything edible that will grow in shade?

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 5:18pm
Oh! Happy thread!!

I have planted atm corn, potatos, courgettes, butter beans, snow peas, beetroot, radishes (as a thinner) capsicums jalapenos garlic spring onions and strawberries. And a magnificent herb garden :)

Capsicums only grow teeny for me, and i never seem to get the bountiful harvest the pictures of the packets promise me but the one or two i get gives me such joy that i keep going with it. Honestly, everyone plants tomatoes - who grows their own capsicum!!

I'm a newbie to gardening but i tag around my moms garden with her while she imparts her wise words so am happily nursing along all of the above plus some silverbeet that for some reason is planted in the regular garden instead of the designated vege patch.

I grew those novelty giant pumpkins last year - you know, the ones that get to 200kg? They started out with HEAPS of little ones but i only got three giant ones out of it. I was a bit neglectful though - i think they need more love then i suspected.
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 7:18pm
I made raised gardens in an afternoon. Two of them and they are 2.5 by 1.5 m. Now saying I did it all is a bit of an overstatement.

I did the weak female thing. Went into bunnings and said I needed some wood for raised gardens and what do they recommend. They showed me the wood and I said I couldn't fit it in the car (honda odyssey) as they were 4 m long. They said don't worry we can cut them down to fit in so I whipped out my measurements and since they were cutting them anyway got them all cut to the right size. It took two guys over 1/2 an hour with a hand saw. So all I had to do was nail them together.

I have strawberries (have already eaten one huge red one) carrots, spring onions, rocket, radishes, courgettes, broccoli, silver beet, sugar snap peas, tomatoes and will have cucumber and mesculin and butter lettuce put in soon. Also beans as they run up the strings and take little room. I want to put some potatoes in too if there is room.   

The egg carton thing is a great idea. I have been buying the ones in the shop which are the exact same and can't beleive I didn't link that they are the same. I throw out heaps of egg cartons so a great way to recycle.

I also got a small greenhouse for seeds and lettuce for my birthday. The credit card says it came from mitre 10 and was $39. I haven't taken it out of the box yet but I think it will keep a few lettuce leaves going over winter and work well for seeds to take off.
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 7:24pm
oops forgot to add scout out markets for cheap seedlings or even the clearance at the warehouse. I have got 6 plants for $1 at the warehouse lots and sometimes they aren't that bad. Might lose 1 sometimes none at all. I do a lot from seed now but some things are just not worth the hassle. I got a six punnet of tomatoes for $1 turns out there were 7 in there and 1 died so I still got 6 for $1.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>