FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSunshine Kids Radian XTSL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL
    Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:00am
those of you who bought one, how are they going? I really want one but it is a huge investment so I want to be sure before I do.
Sponsored Links

luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:30am
LOOOOVE mine. Reason's I bought it over other seats;
Good weight rating for both rear facing and forward facing (so can use it for a long time).
Can fit it with seat belt OR Latch system.
5 point harness for rear facing and forward facing.
Had one of the best (I think it was the best) height adjustments for the straps (and I hear most baby's outgrow their seats in height before weight). But because of this it is long and some people have found it won't fit in their car.
Narrowest one I found so you can fit 2 people in the back seat with one easily. If/when needed you can actually fit 3 across the back seat of most cars.
Good design so works really well both rear facing and forward facing (doesn't compromise one for the other).
Folds down for when you're checking it in as luggage(we take it with us when we travel so we're using a seat we're familiar with).

I find it very easy to use and fast to get in/out (when needed). It is pricey, but I reckoned that by the time I bought a rear facing then forward facing seat it'd cost about the same anyway.
Hope that helps.
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
Kirstine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirstine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 7:52pm
I love mine too - all the reasons above too. Also the tether goes under the seat in front so not in the way when rear facing. There is a good audible "click" when putting in clip (unlike safe in sound car seats). also the straps do not twist (again like safe n sound).
Also child proof to unclip as you have to press in button and pull out clip at the same time. I like the way of tightening the straps too, you tug then it clicks, then repeat until tight enough. I had to use a hired safe n sound for a weekend away and hated it compared to my radian!
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 8:40pm
I am getting a radian in the next few months once DS is too big for his capsule and I cant wait! I love the fact that it can rear face for so long.

Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 10:00pm
Ours is still going great, don't have anything bad to report about it - perhaps making sure it fits in your car is a biggie though (installing it in our car - 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon - was a bit harder than other people have found with their cars). No buyers remorse here

Edited by Delli

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:54pm
I have my nearly 3 year old on one ,,rearfacing and she still has heaps of room to go both weight and height.

this was taken last month so she wont have grown much in the last 4 weeks but it gives you an idea of how long children can remain rearfacing in it
she is around 96cm and has torso length of about 36cms (radians have a top slot of 43cms) oh and is around 15.5kgs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Kirstine Kirstine wrote:

Also child proof to unclip as you have to press in button and pull out clip at the same time.   

Oh, is that why sometimes they don't come out
bebebaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebebaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 9:16am
I really wanted a Radian XTSL, however when we tried it in our car it wouldn't fit (middle rear), or it fitted behind the passenger seat, with it all the way forward, which we decided compromised the passengers safety.
So definately try it in your car before you buy.
I'm thinking we might buy it when our next child comes along and use it as a forward facing carseat.
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 12:47pm
i have a mitsubishi mirage, so its not that big so hopefully it will fit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 2:42pm
Definitely try it in your car if you can, but some small cars fit them really well. A friend tried mine in her old Honda Civic and it fitted with far more room than in my car (Ford Mondeo). The Sunshine Kids lady might actually be able to tell you if it fits if you email her your car type (she was extraordinarily helpful for me).
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 8:30am
Hmm, I never thought that it might not fit! I have a toyota corolla hatch, which is pretty small so I better check that out.

Who did you ladies email? I was getting mine through Mothers Instinct, she might know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 8:56am
Interesting, they've changed their website. This is the email address I got off their website when I bought it. sales@skjp.co.nz
The lady is in Belmont (near Takapuna) and I went and she tried one in my car and showed me how to set it up etc. She got into selling them because she herself needed a seat that she could fit 3 across a car because her 3rd child turned out to be TRIPLETS!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 10:35am

I love my radian, I can't fault it and can't rave about it enough, I will tell anyone who'll listen to look into buying it.

I have it installed it (rear facing) in:

A Mazda 6, Toyota Rav4, Toyota Hilux, Toyota Prius, Another ute and a Nissan 4x4 (can't remember those two makes).

They all fit nicely and had heaps of room for passengers and front seat people.

If you like Amme you are more than welcome to meet up with me and I can try my one in your car.

Pinkygirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinkygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 9:09pm
We have bought two one for my mums car (ford focus) and one for my husbands car (ford 4wd truck) this month. I have a brio in my car.
The reason why we bought them as Travis is 17 months and believe we will get more milage out of the Radians than buying two more Brios. Plus the five point harnes has a good weight rating so that was my selling point over getting another Brio. I still love the Brio but wanted to get as much milage out of the seats.
stefany3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefany3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 10:26pm
I just got my new radian today! So excited. I have a mazda atenza (mazda 6) station wagon, and i have had to put it in the middle seat. It takes up more room than I thought it would!
I just have one question, I hope soemone can help...
I have it rear facing, and have threaded the seat belt thru, but I dont have a tether strap anchor point on the floor... do I need to use the tether strap? or is the seat belt enough?

stefany3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefany3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 10:33pm
OOOHHHH, I have just discovered the 'tether connecting strap'
I'll go find somewhere to attach it to. I guess I shouldn't try installing a carseat at 10pm at night haha

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 8:46am
By NZ law if a car seat has a teather strap then you have to use it. I have to get a bolt installed in our car for rear facing as I cant clip the teather strap around the front seats sliding rails

amethyst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Aethalia Aethalia wrote:

By NZ law if a car seat has a teather strap then you have to use it. I have to get a bolt installed in our car for rear facing as I cant clip the teather strap around the front seats sliding rails

What about where the seatbelt attaches to the side of the car?
Radian's are ok to use without a tether (page 28 of the instruction manual), they are the only seat I know of where using the tether is optional (highly recommended but your choice). I think the law is the seat has to be installed as per the manufacturers instructions isn't it?
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 9:45pm
stefany - I have a Mazda atenza too and have our carseat rear facing in the middle. I have attached the tether to the rail bit where the front seat slides along (IYGWIM), just threaded the attachment part through that and wallah!!! Easy peasy.

jessiesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessiesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 9:56pm
Re: NZ law, this might be of interest. It doesn't look like it goes into the specifics of tether straps etc. http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/law.php.

I haven't tried our Radian rear-facing yet as my 3 year old currently sits facing forward in it. My 2004 Mazda 6 has an anchor point on the roof in the middle.. can you use that or does it have to go behind the seat in the rear-facing position? FYI it also has the Latch bits too which is handy.

DD 2007, Angel Baby 2009, DS 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>