FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReflux baby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2011 at 8:47am
Wow you had it rough cahm! Liv just went from 9pm to 6am without waking last night, this after her first evening losec dose- i'm so hopeful! She then went down for her morning sleep right after a feed and it's coming up 3hrs now, I just can't believe it. If only the spilling would stop now, but I know nothing will stop that.

Our automated swing is my heavensend, it means I can put Liv down and give my back a break. The sling and front pack don't work for us as I end up wearing the spill and then she face plants into it- not nice. She is also a dummy girl but will really only take it in bed and in the car, when she is distressed and back arching etc (typically wind related) she wont have a bar of it.
Sponsored Links

asicsgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asicsgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 12:37pm
Thanks for the link Hila I have actually registered on the site now.   I was in Tauranga last week and went to see my old doctor who has prescribed Maddy Losec, he said to trial it for a week and if we didn't have a different baby to stop it. She has been on it for approx 5 days and perhaps I could be hopeful and say I have a different baby. Today is the first day that I have put her down and she went down without a fuss, she has been asleep for 3 1/2 hours which is a miracle. The real bad period in the evenings seems a lot less and she is not crying in pain. I also went and bought some pro-biotics yesterday so took my first dose today. Maddy won't take a dummy, some may say that's a good thing but she's a huge sucker of her hands and I feel it would be good to settle her. I just have a couple of questions re the losec. Doctor prescribed 10mg a day yet the leaflet say's for a 9 week old a lot less. I see many of you are giving it to your babies with pear?? Maddy is still quite tiny in size last weigh in at 7 weeks she was 7 pound 8 oz, I was paranoid to give it to her due to if she already has a sore tum then I might be adding to it. Poor girl hates it though, I put the granules in her mouth and wash it down with water, it's the only way I can get it in. Also the other question I had was I've read on the crying over spilt milk forum that you are not meant to feed your baby for half hour after giving it, is that right, the doctor nor the pharmacist never mentioned it. LOL she is awake now so apologies for the novel. Hope everyone is doing ok, a lot of hard work aye.
scribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 5:25pm
Yes you're not supposed to feed too soon after giving the Losec, our paed said min 15 mins. As to be most effective it needs to work on an empty stomach. He also said not to give it with anything except water (including pear) as anything you give it with will reduce its effectiveness, but a lot of people report success with giving it with pear. That dosage sounds right as my baby is the same age and has 10mg a day.
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 5:53pm
Asicsgal, perservere with the dummy, my baby wouldn't take it for a long time but now he has come around and it is so helpful especially in getting him to sleep, it really changed things. I just kept giving it and trying to teach him to take it, and you can tap on it in their mouth to try keep it in.

My bub is on 10mg twice daily and he's fine so don't worry about the dose. I am reluctant about the pear too as it seems to be causing some tummy problems, but any other way I have tried it just comes straight back up again.
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
asicsgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asicsgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 9:34am
LittleN thanks for the encouragment to persevere with the dummy.
LOL I spoke to soon, Maddy didn't end up having an afternoon nap, I put her down twice and she wouldn't go down for longer than 10 minutes. We had a bit of a crying period last night for 2 hours and I finally was able to get her down 9ish, she slept through though until 2.45. I'm pretty sure she had an upset tummy. Perhaps I gave her the dose to late. Of course doesn't help when she she's crying when DH gets home, he doesn't believe me when I say she'd been good for most of the day.
She was quite spilly this morning and took a while to go down but she finally has so I hope she has a good sleep.
newbie08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 6:27am
Originally posted by LittleN LittleN wrote:

My bub is on 10mg twice daily

Does that mean 20mg altogether per day LittleN?

Thanks for starting this thread btw. I was looking for exactly this in the early days of Seb's reflux, but was about a month early. Wish I kept looking or started one myself.

Hope you guys are still out there.

Our boy is 4& a half months now and we're still struggling. He went on 10mg of omeprazole (Dr Reddy's) on Jan 5th. He was 7kg then, and now is just under 8kg. The 10mg made a huge improvement at first (given each morning), but them it felt like we were going backwards. He was waking every 2 hours through the night and I was crying 2-3 times a day. I've started giving him another dose 20+ mins before his night feed. BIG DIFFERENCE. The last 3 nights he has only woken once from 7pm - 7am!!

My sister was shocked though, cos 20mg is an adult dose. But I'm not worried because
1.) I keep hearing that Dr Reddy's is less effective than Losec.
2.) Why should my boy be in pain and struggling to get decent sleep just because of over-cautious doses? (I wish we'd not had to fart arund with Gaviscon for weeks and weeks first either).

Anyway, I'm taking my baby back to the Doc to talk dosages, and hoping he'll support the higher dose.

Edited by newbie08
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 11:46am
When I was first prescribed Dr Reddy's the Dr wrote the script for 20mg tab which I was to split & give 10 mg once a day & if I felt he needed it to up it to the full tab.

If you are getting results on that then I hope they say it's fine.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 11:48am
Oh & My boy would have been 8kg when he first started it, he was a year old though.
Kel

newbie08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 5:50pm
Thanks A&CsMum. Good to know.
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2011 at 2:37pm
newbie, some babies are on 40mg a day, so don't stress love, if it's working stick with it!
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 5:27pm
Olivia has just been changed to losec twice a day at 7mg each dose, and ranitidine 3x a day *sigh*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 3:37pm
Sorry I only just came back to look at this thread, yeah he has a 10mg capsule in the morning and a 10mg capsule at night- so 20mg a day. And even then it doesn't always work. Lately we seem to be having a relapse, back to fussing on feeds, spilling a lot more, and not wanting to go back to sleep after 45 minutes and screaming a lot more. It really sucks as I thought we were on top of it. I hope it's just a flare up and will go back to being better again. Considering putting him back on gaviscon as well as he's spilling SO much.

Reflux SUCKS.
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
CJsays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJsays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 9:26pm
wow glad I found this site, we think our girl has reflux, we thought it was colic cuz mainly 1 time at nite, but we get back arching and she so hard to settle, crying and must eb in pain, coming off the boob when feeding, ohh its so hard. then I found some sites that it really does seem like reflux. she doesn't do huge spills tho, just smallish ones - altho last nite she did 1 gigantic 1! so from what i read, some tips are to BF her in a more upright position, straight spine, burp on shoulder. we always have her upright at least 15 mins after feeds.
Doesn't help she is a premmie either, was born at 29 weeks and is nearly 3weeks "normal" age now.
Should we try doing the above things first or go to dr straight away? it is def hard work, and i so understand wot you say lilnic about how hard it is mentally on the parents and how you feel it could be PND, i have had the same questions for myself.
Hugs to all that have gone thru/are going thru this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 5:57pm
Cj, I would try all those things as they help manage reflux, however I would go to the doctor too as without medication it can be difficult to get on top of. Even if they just say to try gaviscon it's worth it to see. Noah came off the boob when feeding to the point where I had to give up breastfeeding :( I heard somewhere that prem babies are quite prone to it too so could be worth getting checked out.

I ended up with PND from struggling with reflux for a while as doctors didn't get the meds right for baby at first, so I definitely reccomend getting on to it as soon as you can for your happiness as well as your baby :)

Been to the doc today myself it seems bub is having a reflux flareup so thats not much fun. He might be early teething as well! So Ive got my hands full. He's spilling HEAPS so Im thinking of trying him on thickened formula, but hes on constipation formula at the moment as he was having trouble with that so Im worried he'll get constipated again. He's been screaming in his sleep, I hate that :(

Any advice? Does the thickened formula really make a big difference to the spilling? He doesn't get pain from spilling but he spills all the time. Is it more/less effective than gaviscon?
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by lostAmber lostAmber wrote:

Olivia has just been changed to losec twice a day at 7mg each dose, and ranitidine 3x a day *sigh*

just saw pediatrician, back to 10mg morning and night and ranitidine twice a day, and double dose of lactulose
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 11:34am
LittleN, we could never go back to a regular formula, the difference with Liv is immense. As far as constipation goes, it is easy enough to deal with. You can either mix prune juice in with his formula, or add a tsp of brown sugar to it, and if that doesn't work then there is the option of lactulose (which is non stimlant) or coloxyl drops. The thickened formula will not stop the spilling though, just greatly reduces it in our experience.
CJsays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJsays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2011 at 6:07pm
wow dr put E on gaviscon and it seems to have made a huge difference! only been 1 day... but wow! no spills! no back arching!!! even stuff all wind!!! woohhooo
karenb_chch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 1:49pm
So glad I found this thread ... My 4 week old has suspected reflux, and it's nice to know I'm not alone (or crazy). She spills multiple times after each feed, often cries/screams unconsolably after each feed, won't sleep flat on her back (have bassinet raised, and side sleeping), likes sucking (fists, boobs, bottle etc) but hates a dummy, sometimes gags on the bottle (but not the boob), hiccups etc.

I took her to my GP a few days ago, and GP says it sounds like mild reflux, but she was reluctant to prescribe anything (of course E was being an absolute angel at the docs). I'm going back to see her in a couple of days, but I'm wondering if I can wait that long, as it seems to be getting worse ... Even some gaviscon to start with would be good ...
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 2:25pm
Ring them up & say that you want gaviscon! If it is reflux the longer you delay the more damage the acid can be doing. If you want I can pop some gaviscon in the mail to you tonight? Just pm me.
Kel

karenb_chch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenb_chch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 11:36am
Thanks AandCsmum. I will nag my doc today. I have found that keeping her upright for at least 30 mins after a feed has been really helpful ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>