FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHamilton news

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamilton news
    Posted: 10 February 2011 at 4:22pm
Is anyone following the Barlow's coroners case?

Waikato Times

Such a tragic story - it's making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I really hope that good can come out of this and procedures tightened.

Sponsored Links

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2011 at 4:27pm
Yea, very sad and scary

Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2011 at 8:56pm
Yes have been following it. The name suppression on the MW involved has been lifted I wonder how many clients she has that she has failed to disclose her involvement to.
monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 11:17am
I have been following it too but I would like to see the name of the MW but haven't seen it anywhere
3 little Angels July 10, May 11, Apr 13
Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 12:52pm
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 4:34pm
Yip been following it on fb. Terrible!!

EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 7:32pm
It's awful, it makes me cry everytime I read about it. That poor family
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 8:00am
I wonder how badly the young MW's career will be affected from now on. She was a student with my first child's MW - Colleen - and I thought she was an outstanding student (out of the ones you meet).

Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 8:18am
Originally posted by JessDub JessDub wrote:

I wonder how badly the young MW's career will be affected from now on. She was a student with my first child's MW - Colleen - and I thought she was an outstanding student (out of the ones you meet).

Well knowing what you know now would you choose her as your LMC? I know I wouldn't. So I would say she will be unlikely to be able to work in Hamilton ever again.
monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 11:19am
Completely agree Mrs B, I definitely will not be selecting her when I finally get my BFP.
She may be fantastic, and I am sure this will have made her even more careful -but I feel you need completely faith and trust and I just don't think I could ever have that
3 little Angels July 10, May 11, Apr 13
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 9:11am
I think in a few years no one will remember her name, and how many of us asked midwifes if they'd caused a babys death when we met them?

Started following this story when i was a few days overdue, really gave me the scares. How absolutely tragic for the family
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 10:05am
Yeah, this is such a tragic event, isn't it.

I'm going to put the cat out amongst the pigeons....
This case involved a new midwife, with little experience of working & decision-making independently...only a few months before this occurred, she presumably was deemed fit by her lecturers and supervisors to graduate with this qualification. ..........I tend to agree with the point of view that perhaps "newbie midwives" could do with further clinical supervision before they can work independently.

Other professions have so much more supervision - for example doctors spend 6 years at med school and then work as 2-3 years as a house surgeon (close supervision) before working as a registrar (under supervision of consultant) for a period of generally 6 or so years before they are "unsupervised" as a consultant...
Likewise, psychologists spend 6 years minimum at uni, and then a further 2 years close supervision...
Midwives have 3 years training.....I am not sure of the level of supervision following this, but this case suggests that there is perhaps not enough. I chose an experienced midwife who had a nursing background. I was happy and felt safe the whole time.

SO tricky. But so so important when lives are at risk.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 11:09am
as a student teacher i would have graduated but require a further 2 yrs observation...and thats 'just' teaching. i was a bit suprised to learn midwifes dont have something similar, though i had a final year student doing the role of lmc for my birth and i'd say she was more then capable.
one of the articles states she was doing things as taught by her mentor so she may have thought she was doing right but in reality the mentor was using out of date or improper methods.
i do feel for the midwife too, though her making statements about her loss and pain in court was a bit rough - nothing compared to the families loss and it sounded like sympathy digging when she has no right.

sorry for poor typing, b/feeding!!
JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 11:22am
Sally, I totally agree with the supervision thing. I know that in order to graduate, midwives need to attend so many births etc, but passing a final exam should not suddenly make them independent midwives. Especially younger people who aren't already qualified health professionals, such as nurses.

Working at a hospital under doctors and registrars would be excellent work experience for them IMO. I'd love to hear a MW point of view on this.

At any rate, there is no way I'd personally choose a newbie midwife for my LMC.

My first MW took ill just before DS' birth and I am so so glad I got an excellent experienced MW as back up. It could have been like Linda Barlow, that I was handed over to someone with less experience.

EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 11:39am
Originally posted by JessDub JessDub wrote:

Sally, I totally agree with the supervision thing. I know that in order to graduate, midwives need to attend so many births etc, but passing a final exam should not suddenly make them independent midwives. Especially younger people who aren't already qualified health professionals, such as nurses.

Working at a hospital under doctors and registrars would be excellent work experience for them IMO. I'd love to hear a MW point of view on this.

At any rate, there is no way I'd personally choose a newbie midwife for my LMC.

Agree with all of this. I think further supervision is required and I like your idea of working at a hospital, it makes a lot of sense.

I chose my mw based on my GP's recommendation and the fact she was a registered nurse for years before going into midwifery AND because her back-up is the same (as well as the fact I clicked with her right away).
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Sally Sally wrote:

Yeah, this is such a tragic event, isn't it.

I'm going to put the cat out amongst the pigeons....
This case involved a new midwife, with little experience of working & decision-making independently...only a few months before this occurred, she presumably was deemed fit by her lecturers and supervisors to graduate with this qualification. ..........I tend to agree with the point of view that perhaps "newbie midwives" could do with further clinical supervision before they can work independently.

Other professions have so much more supervision - for example doctors spend 6 years at med school and then work as 2-3 years as a house surgeon (close supervision) before working as a registrar (under supervision of consultant) for a period of generally 6 or so years before they are "unsupervised" as a consultant...
Likewise, psychologists spend 6 years minimum at uni, and then a further 2 years close supervision...
Midwives have 3 years training.....I am not sure of the level of supervision following this, but this case suggests that there is perhaps not enough. I chose an experienced midwife who had a nursing background. I was happy and felt safe the whole time.

SO tricky. But so so important when lives are at risk.

Not a cat amongst the pigeons, this is exactly the purpose of the inquest and what the Barlows hope to achieve. Tragically it has taken the death of a baby and near death of a mother for people to sit up and take notice. Near misses occur a lot more frequently than people realise. I wonder how many women actually ask their midwives how many deliveries resulting in medical intervention for baby or stillbirths they have been involved in?
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Mrs_B Mrs_B wrote:

[

Not a cat amongst the pigeons, this is exactly the purpose of the inquest and what the Barlows hope to achieve.

...It's (has been on occasion) a cat amongst the pigeons when discussing with some new midwives (!)..That's why I proceeded cautiously!    I don't want to offend anyone. But yeah, I think that extra supervision is an obvious decision.

There appears to be a bit of a culture (in some places at least..) of midwife vs doctor rather than a collegial relationship between the two. That can make for unsafe practice. Another thing (correct me if I am wrong) but I think a midwife gets paid a different amount for the birth if they require medical assistance....That could potentially motivate unsafe practice (ie hesitating on calling medical assistance if you get paid less). If that IS the case, I think that's pretty bad.

It will be interesting to watch what happens. I do hope that different procedures are put in place particularly for the training process, as I think this midwife was, in part, at the mercy of the system in this case.   
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 8:32pm
I'm interested in knowing if the bit about being paid less if an OB or the like is called in is true! Thats a bit shocking.

Mrs_B i wonder the same thing, i seriously considered asking my m/w how many still births she'd had when i met her the first time but didnt quite know how to put it...
 Post Reply Post Reply