FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVBAC-tavist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VBAC-tavist
    Posted: 30 March 2011 at 6:54pm
so it appears Im now preggers ( ), and I am going to have my vbac thank you.
Now I want to know all your tips and tricks to make sure this happens (things to avoid, things to do etc)
So far on my list I have:
* be fit - regular walks
* No induction (unless baby or I are in propper danger, not just cos I havnt gone into labour yet or because labour is taking too long.
* Good support team, making sure they know what their role is (including great VBAC MW!)
* No offering of pain relief, I have to ask for it 3 times.
* One intervention at a time (and only if absolutely necessary)

Well those are my biggies anyway, I very strongly feel that my induction was a big factor in my c section.

Any links on stats/data/etc is most welcome, Im preparing myself for every hurdle, in the hopes I dont need it!

Edited by Emmi_

+1 May 09 Angel
Sponsored Links

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 7:45pm
I'd add really really good support. Long labours are so hard, and they are scary for our DH's too, so they need to be well briefed in their role as the cheerleader. Even if they are starting to doubt things, they need to help keep you focussed, and stand up for you when OBs etc start pushing for intervention. Cos even for a bolshy lady like me, that can be hard to do for yourself once you've been in labour for a long time.

An excellent pro-vbac MW would help too

A friend of mine just had a second C basically because her MW spent the whole pregnancy preaching risks to her to the point the poor girl was terrified of a VBAC
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 7:58pm
Thats great thanks Trex, what did/will you have your DH do? I havnt had a long labour (only induction for 14 hours) so good to think about this!
I have the MW, shes awesome, she was my student MW with Lilla (well I hope I get her, I wasnt ment to get UTD so soon, this is her last year!)
Your poor friend Hope shes recovering well

+1 May 09 Angel
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 8:47pm
Oh your poor friend T_rex!

I'll be reading this thread with interest as hopefully I'll be in the same boat soon! except while with be a VBA2C.

You already know a lot of the links I have but when I find new stuff I'll post in here!

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 10:22pm

Def the exercise and being fit sure helps with a VBAC, also no epidural as this can slow progress of labour sometimes too.

I had a sucessful Vbac and this was after the OB scheduled me in for a csect. I just point blank refused and when I went into labour 5 days after edd I stayed at home till less then 5mins apart and 20mins after arriving at the hosp bubs was born. My MW was so supportive and positive I could do it, i think that helped heaps too

Best of luck Emmi

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 11:29pm
Thats my plan for next time, try my hardest to not have an epi..

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 12:20am
I'm hoping for the same thing so I am doing daily walks, going to try for no epi, thinking of seeing a chiro to make sure everything is in the right place, reading the pink kit (highly recommend that).

Keen to hear others thoughts and suggestions too.
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 8:42am
I've been reading "a good birth, a safe birth" - will go look up it's authors soon. It's a very good read, although it's had me in tears quite a few times. I was uber-prepared for the physiological side of labour last time (I have studied the physiology of birth extensively for work), but I was under-prepared for the emotional side of things. There were a few "i wish I read that" moments.

I didn't have a good enough plan for coping with the distress of transferring to hospital when the homebirth went awry, for example. Nor was I expecting to have to disagree with my MW. She was wonderful, but she wasn't in my head so she didn't always read me right, and I didn't correct her cos I figured she knew better than me. She didn't.

This time, both DH and my MW, will be *required* to ask my opinion directly and make me say something, rather than accept a dopey nod/shake of the head. There was so much going on in my head last time that should have been said, and I was utterly lost as to how to make words of out it. I'm hoping with enough prodding, I'll do better.

I'll also be specifying that NO-ONE is to offer me pain releif. I might ask for it, although I doubt it, but it's really demoralising being *recommended* it every 5 minutes

The other major thing I'll be insisting is that interventions come one at a time. Last time they said we want to do x, y and z; I knew we had to do something so I agreed. What I should have said is lets do x and give that a chance to help, then we can look at y, and THEN z. Instead they did it all at once, and I'm sure if we'd just gone with x (break my waters), everything would have gone on just as it should because the root of the whole problem was the pocket of waters softening the impact of her head on my cervix. Of course, it's likely to be a completely different problem if there is one, next time, but I'll still be sticking to the one thing at a time deal.
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 8:36pm
Thanks guys! They are great things to think about!!
(im going to edit my original post and add them in )
Its good to hear what your hurdles in labour was, I want to be prepared for everything (I keep thinking I will have the same labour etc again, but of course it wont be!)

Oh.. any one know if 'they' would let you have a vbac with twins???

Thanks Kels!

Trex, how will you prep your DH? What is "a good birth" like? Should I buy a copy? I cant seem to find a description of it anywhere..

Edited by Emmi_

+1 May 09 Angel
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 10:00pm
My first was a ARM and prolonged labour at 41+6 weeks ending in c-section, I would have definately refused any kind of induction with my second. Luckily I had a great birth with DS2 at 39 weeks.

I took 5w and epo from 35 weeks and my MW reckons that that helped heaps to have a really good birth. I also waited for ages before going into the hospital, and would have refused continous monitoring if I could have (distressed baby), cause I think moving around during labour helps heaps. Good Luck
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:48am
Emmi, I borrowed the book from my LLL collection - they have quite a few good birthing books, so I'd try there for a start.
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:49am
Oh, and I'm still working on the DH thing. Will let you know once I have a plan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:31pm
I just hired out "The silent Knife" so cant wait to read it! I also got a few other books and one is called "Natural pregnancy and chilbirth" It looks really really good!

Heres a link to a blog that is quite good

Birth Faith

and this one is really awesome!

ICAN - International Cesarean Awareness Network

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:41pm
I'm going to be saying no to internals to start with, I don't want to be checked until Ive been in labour a decent length as I don't want to be told I'm like 3cm as I know that will dishearten me, it did with Caden! - I want an little intervention as possible! no pethidine and no epidural if I can help it! and certainly nothing to help contractions, I just want to try and relax and welcome each contraction and trust that my body knows whats its doing.

With Caden I got to 9.5cm, had the epi 2 hours before that, but was stretchable to a 6 well before I got the epi! So my body knew what it was doing it was just taking a long time. I laboured with just gas for hours and hours(about 40) and then had the pethidine for the ambulance ride, which made me feel dizzy and horrible! So i don't want that again!

I feel confident that this time I can totally do it! (just need to get pregnant now haha! next cycle the TTC journey starts!)

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Sheza Sheza wrote:

no pethidine and no epidural if I can help it! and certainly nothing to help contractions

I'd put those in another order - nothing to help contractions if I can help it; and certainly no epi or peth

Sometimes you really do need something to get the contractions going - if they aren't happening properly, the baby is NEVER coming out If they are happening, just not fast enough for the OB, that's another story, but sometimes a bit of synto is a good thing. But I'd see if there was something else you could try first, and then see if they'll start with a little dose and work their way up. And no routine epi *because it's going to hurt a lot*. No telling me it's going to hurt either!!

Then again, my MW believes that sometimes an epi to let you get some rest is what prevents a C. If, without the rest, you were heading for complete mental and physical exhaustion, and epi and some sleep can make the difference and give you the boost to carry on with labour.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2011 at 9:31pm
Its a bit different for me though TRex as I'm going to be a VBA2C. as you know, Synto makes the contractions much stronger and because I have had 2 C Sections that puts more strain on my uterus scar, so I want to avoid that, if they were going to give me any it would absolutely have to be a last resort thing and only a tiny amount.

I'm not sure if my epi was was caused my emergency C but I don't think it helped matters, I was stuck on my back and there was a lip of cervix in the way that the MW couldn't push, and I couldn't get up to move to help things along, thats when they called for the CS. There was meconium in the waters too, that started just before my transfer to the main hospital, that was at about 7pm and then he was born at 1.03am.

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2011 at 7:24am
Oh true, I was forgetting it was a VBA2C, sorry! With any luck, neither of us will need any of that *stuff* anyway! I just let it upset me last time, that they gave it to me, and I should have maintained a more positive frame of mind, you know? If I can stay strong and positive through one intervention, then maybe that's all I'll need, IYGWIM?

Good luck with TTC too!
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2011 at 8:18am
you gals looking at doing hypnobirthing? I have the book, emmecat borrowed it for S's birth and she handled the pain way better. After dd's birth i said i was going to do the course, but not sure if its worth the $??

+1 May 09 Angel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2011 at 9:09am
Yeah I think having a positive frame of mind is so important! I didnt really have that with Caden and I fought it a lot of the time and that didnt help matters.
Thanks Hopefully it doesnt take too long! My AF is due in the next week soIm going to get some ov tests and start tryin as soon as Im oving!

Im going to read about it, but I think Im going to go with a "Calm Birth" rather than hypnobirthing.

Calm Birth

That site is for classes but there are other sites if you wanted to do it on your own :)

Calm Birth Website

Edited by Sheza

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2011 at 5:29pm
I had an intense horrible birth with Ty (C's was pretty text book) and I was adamant I would have the next baby with an epidural

When I was in labour with Mila,I started getting panicked that it was going to be as painful and asked for an epi,but my MW suggested to wait 20mins,and by that time I felt strong enough to continue without it,and she was born not long after ( had a very quick labor,2 hours from being 3cms to fully dilated)
So I think thats a good thing to,for them to suggest you wait a bit when you do ask,cos you might find that by the time 20mins is up,you don't want it anymore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>