FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPro-C/Section Support / Chat / Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
vixgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2011 at 10:49am
I had an undiagnosed breech with DD so ended up having an emergency c section after 7 hrs of labour when they finally realized she was breech. Funny thing is I'd always been totally anti c sections but didn't hesitate saying yes when given the news DD was breech for the safety of us both. I'm now pregnant again and feel I want to go for an elective, people just assume I want to try for a VBAC, I'm almost too scared to say no I want a c section. DD will be 17 months and I'll have help for the first few weeks. I just don't want to be induced or end up with another emergency section if I can... MW said I have til 35 weeks to decide as that's when I'll see OB, I just worry what the MW's may think if me if I choose an elective. Oh well only 16 weeks so have a wee while to wait...

Sponsored Links

InthemiddleMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2011 at 1:58pm
vixgirl
I dont think they induce for VB after CS. Inducing drugs can rupture the scar with the dramatic onset of strong contractinos.

Midwives are here to support us to birth our babies whichever method we choose, not to judge us. I think you should be entitled to see an OB prior to that. damn Ive seen my OB 5 times already Im 32wks and have another visit at 36 and 38 (if make it that far)

My midwife was new to me this pregnancy and she just asked me straight away do I want a c/s for this bub, I said sure do. No more questions after that, nothing on the VBAC topic at all. Same with the OB, he asked me at my first scan any questions. You happy to do a c/s. Sure thing. Cool sounds great!

And remember if your MW is not supportive, she is only 1 person, 1 opinion, you are the mum and its your baby and you have the right to birth c/s if you want to.
vixgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2011 at 2:34pm
Thanks, I also didn't think they induce after c/s but apparently some OB's do... Yeah I thought waiting til 35 weeks was interesting... Mind you I only met the last OB 5 mins before my c/s and saw him briefly the next day so not much of a relationship there...

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2011 at 3:50pm
I went thru 7hrs labour before deciding on CS too Vixgirl, DD was coming down sideways and getting nowhere fast. After the CS they confirmed that she was never going to come out the std way, so was pleased with the outcome and there was no stress involved. Pretty positive experience all up and good recovery for me. So am opting for elective CS this time. Had my mind made up before I met the MW and have stuck to my guns. No questions have really been asked. Will see the OB at around 32 wks for one visit and get my pre op meds then. Then will see him/her next time the morning of the CS unless there are any problems that arise. I'm ok with that as its a 5hr round trip to see them

vixgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 8:32am
I wouldnt say my MW hasn't been supportive, they've just said I dont have to decide yet. Great to hear I'm not alone in my thinking, thank you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 2:40pm
ohhhh vent vent vent, why does everyone think VB are so flipping wonderful?

why do "jo public" put so much pressure on mums to VB when its not always the best outcome. And why do they expect cos we had a c/s (for what ever reason) we always want a VBAC.

Pro c/s thats were we are at!

As for that bonding B****hit
1st = VB = struggle to hold, struggle to b/f unassisted
2nd + CS = lovely skin to skin b/f immediatly milk in quick

carrying a baby/holding your baby/caring for your baby/feeding your baby breast or bottle, adopting a baby that is love/bonding, it doesnt miraculously grab the bonding chemicals as it gets squished out your vagina

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 2:55pm
lol, love that vent, well said

islandgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 8:33pm
Vixgirl, we are thinking of having our second child soon, and I am at the same thought as you - not sure what to do about CS/VBAC... a lot of pressure on VBAC... A friend said to remember that at 6 months, no one knows which child is "naturally born" or took the sunroof option. Are you a planner? I hope what ever you decide you feel happy about it! Look forward to hearing your decision! Sorry - no help, just wanted to say you're not alone!

Imogen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Girls Rock Girls Rock wrote:

vixgirl
I dont think they induce for VB after CS. Inducing drugs can rupture the scar with the dramatic onset of strong contractinos.

Some Obs will induce during a VBAC attempt. My second pregnancy was a VBAC, my waters broke and labour hadn't started so I was put on the syntocon drip to get things going...they just had to monitor things closely thats all.
Proud mummy to two beautiful little girls and a precious little boy <3
jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 11:32am
I had my second induction on Sunday morning after the first induction with DD resulted in an emergency c-section at 42+2. I was induced this time around at 41 weeks using the foley cathetar method, google it if you need some info. Despite the induction failing and another c-section, I am much happier about the birth second time around as I was able to make the decision about a c-section (the outcome would have been the same whatever happened). I have bonded well with my second DD, had skin to skin immediately and breastfeeding is going well. My only concern is dealing with a energetic 2.5 year old and recovering from the surgery.
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 12:47pm
Congratulations Jano, you feel so much happier in mind and body when you have had input into the outcome. Will be going thru elective with a active 3yr old at Christmas time so let me know how you get on and any tips you can pass on, gratefully recieved, lol.

jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 12:55pm
Thanks- unfortunately mine wasn't elective but we made the decision to go for a c-section once it was clear that I wasn't going to go into labour, despite the induction and my waters being broken. I'm just thankful I didn't go through a protracted labour and end up with the same outcome. Mentally I'm much calmer and philosophical about the whole thing- I gave a VBAC a go and it didn't happen but I have a beautiful, healthy daughter so who cares how she came out!
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 1:26pm
No, mine was an "Em CS" with DD too, but like you we were given time to decide which way to go, which made it so different don't you think. So glad for you, little bit nervous that this elective might be a different experience, but should be all good fingers X.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 7:49pm
bumping for a friend to read

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2011 at 6:19pm
....again....
MissJen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissJen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2011 at 7:33pm
Hey everyone
I had an emergency cs with my wee one and it never occured to me that it was such a taboo with the public and everyone said to me things like "never mind you can have vb next time" It never bothered me that i didnt have a vb my son and i would have died if it hadnt gone to cs so i couldnt understand what the fuss was about.
We were also told that i would most likely need cs with any other births due to the damage done previously. I dont see what the big fuss is dont we all want the baby to arrive safely isnt that the point??

Anyways sorry bout the vent

And for those that have a toddler are you all aware that you are entitled to home help for i think its 6 weeks after a cs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2011 at 8:56pm
Miss Jen
I quite agree with what you said!! Not a vent at all!

recently a friend whom has had 4 "straight forward vb" said to me she would feel so "ripped off if she was like me and HAD to have a C/S" by not being able to give birth vaginally...I said Honestly it doesnt bother me at all. I feel blessed to have conceived easily/carried without too much pain and discomfort / Breast feed and pleased we live in this modern times where c/s are a safe option.

I knew about the help, but didnt want a random stranger to come into my house to help clean etc when DH is perfectly capable (haha quite like bossing him around for a change) . But Im sure it would be a great help for those that really require the extra assistance.

Im 38w5 today, have scan/ob check up Thurs, c/s maybe this friday or next mon/tues/wed, my bubs scanned on yesterday at 6lb6 so the paediatrician & OB would prefer he is closer to 7lb before the pull the old quick un pick out. so Im happy with that am 40wk next thur

I went at 37w5 & 36w4 with the girls so feel very "overdue" but OB keeps saying he cant believe bubs hasnt pulled "the rip cord" like the girls did by now
salz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2011 at 8:05pm
hi havnt posted for a while. I had the problem of not able to make the decision between VBAC and elective CS, with all the info and support I still didnt know what to do. Its true when they say you need to be 100% behind your decision. At 35 weeks choose CS but felt so wrong about it (have no idea why am not a VBAC die hard) I stated having lots of cramps and braxton hicks and lost my show so got excited and cancelled the CS. Well 3 weeks later it turns out I have irritable uterus, extremely low amniotic fluid and border line high Bp. If I had kept my booked CS I would have had the baby today so would be cuddling baby right now!
Just wish I wasnt so wishy washy over this decision. You are so right with there being added pressure!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2011 at 1:45pm
salz
how are you doing? Has baby came yet?

I had my baby boy via ELCS at 8.56am tues 18 Oct, Spinal was in at 8.50am so it was very quick! Back in maternity ward at 9.45am

It was fantastic, the recovery was awesome, even thou I thought my 1st c/s was great, this one has been much better (so far ...day 9)

There was a wee bit of scar tissue from previous c/s (which I had no signs of myself) so they cleaned that out, so that was a bit "rumagy" feeling,didnt have that with 1st obviously, but I didnt care had babe in arms on chest, skin to skin suckling.

team in theatre was amazing and were talking about how ridulous the WHO recommendation of 15% C/S RATE IS. Ob just said its never going to be achieved and its about safety of mums & babies not percentages, he said he reckoned c/s rate that week had been 5o/5o vb, but most had been emergencies, we were the only ELCS that day and week.

I think my recovery was better this time as lost slightly less blood, and had better rest going into cs and higher iron stores/iron count etc, who knows why. I was suprised it was better, considering the "cleaning out of scar tissue" expected to be sorer.

Anyway baby was 6lb12 (3020gm) at birth at 39w5days so I was so pleased to get him out as he had low glucose from not gaining weight in that last week & half inside me and once he was out he was shaking from the low blood sugars and good to get the colostrum into him, he had to get tested 1 hr after every feed for the first day and improved each time. YAH! So with jaundice and low blood sugar kept on the 3hr feeds. he is doing grand and gained 80gm in first week to be now 3100gm

Im so pleased to have ELCS, I thought I would feel "mean" about getting baby out before natural signs kicked in like it did with my daughter has her waters broke and was 4/5cm but with the whole not gaining weight and low blood sugar Im so pleased we did choose with guidance from OB to get him out when we did, I was ready. they said the placenta was "ok" I kept quizzing them for more info on that,but didnt get much feed back from either OB/MW.

Like you say SALZ its just so nice to have them in your arms and the worrys over.

Good luck hope you have your babe in arms now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2011 at 1:48pm
I will pop back when I get a chance with some amazing photos.

The programme on VIBE...one born every minute...had a good view of c/s on last nights episode.

Did anyone else see that? The mum was 23 and not dialiting well so it was EM CS and bubby looked big, they didnt say his weight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>