FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAllergies?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allergies?
    Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:12pm
My baby has got cows milk intolerance and is on neocate.

He has always been a bit wheezy which the paediatrician said was due to his reflux. He often sneezes but when I have told doctors about that they say babies do.

But recently he has been rubbing his eyes a lot when I wouldn't have thought he was tired, and he sometimes rubs his face on the carpet. His eyes go red for a while after that. When he rubs his eyes its more than once and it seems to annoy him. He also coughs a bit and he has a runny nose at the moment but I thought he had a cold.

I am wondering if he might have an allergy of some sort, perhaps to cat hair as we have a cat who sheds a lot and it does seem to happen at home more than anywhere else.

How would I go about figuring it out? Is this another one of those things to go straight to the paed on as going to the GP for the milk intolerance was a waste of time, would it be the same for this?

Thanks
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Sponsored Links

2crazykids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2crazykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:43pm
Maybe you could ask for RAST (blood) tests, as this may come up with cat/dog/dust results?
2crazykids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2crazykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:46pm
Oh and for the last bit....yes! Thats what Ive found with gps, Pead will listen better!
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:47pm
They can do enviromental skin prick tests although it is likely they will make you wait a few more months for them. They can test for cat/dog hair, grass, wool etc.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:42pm
They can do the skin prick test (which is totally painless) often they don't do them till 12 months as before then you can get false negatives, but some paeds still will. I found our medical centre to be pretty useless for all things allergy related and I just take all those sorts of questions straight to the allergy paed cos although it costs at least I get some proper answers. My son came up to cats on the test but the paed wasn't that concerned and thought that he only reacted to cats as allergy kids tend to react to what's in their environment. In other words if we didn't have cats he wouldn't have come up to cat hair, but then his reaction to it was only small on the test, if it had been a large flare up I guess the advice would have been different.

In the meantime as it's only recent that he's started these other symptoms try to think if there is anything that has changed, a new food? and it can take a while for symptoms to show up if it's a delayed reaction so think of anything new over the last two weeks. A change in washing powder? anything new in the house that could have something on it (thinking chemicals on a new sofa or similar) any new plants in the house, have you had the carpets cleaned or used any other cleaners you don't normally use? that sort of thing.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 11:46pm
Hey M, would allergymed be ok to use on Babies?

Was wondering if you try this and it helps alleviate his rubbing etc then yes it would be an allergy? I've not tried it on Cooper but I do know it helps with my airborn allergies.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:07am
I'm not sure Kel, might be worth asking the health shop though, I think most of the homeopathic remedies are ok for babies.

friends_forever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friends_forever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 3:32pm
Does he have any eczema? Rubbing eye's doesn't sound too good, poor wee thing, my son is deadly allergic to nuts which we have had tests for, no one has mentioned environment factors even though he has a touch of eczema. Have been told that asthma and pet hair allergies can be related, maybe the cats wont help his wheezing. I'd think you would want to get those cats out living area's and get those carpets steam-cleaned (this is the only pro to wooden floors I think!)
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 9:51pm
Hi, sorry for late reply haven't had a computer for a bit.

I noticed one time when he'd been near the cat and got some cat fur on his hands he got red eyes and rubbed them.... so it could very well be that. The only new foods he has started having really is meat (beef/chicken)... so I'm not sure. I asked the GP and they said babies rub their eyes when they are tired LOL. Lucky I didn't book the appointment just for that or I'd have been annoyed! He's under a paed for his milk intolerance and we see him again soon so I'll check with him. I know he has allergy tests again when he's a year old so maybe something will show from that.

Thanks for all the help

Oh and no he doesn't get exzema, his skin is good he's never had rashes, but DH gets bad exzema so I'm watching closely

Edited by wiggly_jiggly
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
 Post Reply Post Reply