FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPale green poo on Karicare Soy - normal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ode2Joy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ode2Joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pale green poo on Karicare Soy - normal?
    Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:30pm
Wow!! I just discovered this section! Thank you for starting a separate place for babies with allergy/intolerance! Bravo!

My lil girl is 4.5 months old. She was breastfed for 4 months. Around 2.5 months, we began to notice specks of blood in her poos. We rushed to the GP, who said to give a stool sample. We did, and strangely the stool test showed no blood!

Well, a few days later, we had another blood-tinged nappy. Again GP asked for a stool sample - again tests came back negative for both blood and bacreria! GP said not to worry and since baby is healthy, its not an issue. Again, 3 days later, she had another blood-tinged nappy. This time, I insisted that GP do something, coz its NOT NORMAL for babies to have blood in their poos!!! She referred us to Starship finally...and we got an appt abt 1 month later. The paediatrician listened to our story, and we even showed him photos of the poos (so he'd believe us!!). He said it seemed like a milk protein intolerance, and advised me to stop all Dairy products in my diet. We did and after 3 weeks, my baby's poos were back to normal!!

With a history of bad breast infections, I decided to wean our bubba onto formula. Our GP suggested Karicare Soy. So, we're doing abt 3 feeds of Soy formula every 4 hours. For the past few days, we've noticed that her poos are a very pale green and pasty (they used to be mustardy/yellow and pasty). Not sure if its a bad reaction to Soy or whether its normal for babies on Soy formula?? Any advice abt this would be a big help!
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 2:42pm
Hmmm not sure, but when my boy is solely on Neocate he has the most wonderful kahki green colour lol.

Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
2crazykids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2crazykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 3:49pm
My baby was on Karicare Soy for a little while, we found him to have an intolerance to it and got severe eczema after a buildup in his system. But he did have normal poo's, just tinged green. He was on solids by this stage, so that thickened it up (not pasty).

I think I would feel ok with green poos, just make sure it's not wind causing it....and watch for other clues like upset tummy, rash, unsettled etc. Lot's of kids have funny coloured poos, and I've heard you have to look at the consistancy rather then colour? I might be wrong tho :)

To be honest, when we changed formula's to neocate, it became "sloppier" but his rash cleared up. He has tested negative for soy allergy but definitely cannot tolerate it, even in small amounts. Skin prick test soon for him!
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:09pm
Totally normal. My DD is lactose intolerant and the soy gives her light green - but more clay like texture and colour poos. Another girl I babysit changed to soy recently and now her poos are doing the same thing.

Recently though my DD's poos have changed again so may be her system is so use to the soy now. Hope that helps

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:07pm
I would just be careful with soy, as often when allergic to dairy they are can become allergic to or are already allergic to soy as the proteins are not that disimilar. Green poos can be a sign of an allergy. Personally I would be pushing to have baby put on pepti junior or neocate, you will need to see paed to get the funding for it though, GPs can't authorise it.

Plus there is another concern with soy as well, I can't remember exactly what but I think it was something to do with effecting hormones. The tins have a warning about only using under medical advise but I don't think they go into why.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:15pm
ok this is a bit old, 2006, so there is probably better up to date info on it but might be of interest anyway, was one of the first ones that came up when i searched.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/news/20060317/studies-short-on-soy-formula-risks

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:56pm
2crazykids - have a look at the allergy section in full, I posted a thread about allegy type, it'll help you understand. My boy is on neocate but didn't skin prick but definitely can't tolerate wheat or dairy. We are testing soy at the moment & have had a poohy nappy every single change!

Also yes consistency is definitely the key.

Edited by AandCsmum
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Ode2Joy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ode2Joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Kazper Kazper wrote:

Totally normal. My DD is lactose intolerant and the soy gives her light green - but more clay like texture and colour poos. Another girl I babysit changed to soy recently and now her poos are doing the same thing.

Recently though my DD's poos have changed again so may be her system is so use to the soy now. Hope that helps

Wow! That's exactly what my DD's poo is like! Yes, I think I'll wait and see if her poos change, coz she's been on Soy only for a couple of weeks..maybe its her system adjusting to the Soy..She doesn't have any rashes or reflux at the moment..
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 7:58pm
Glad she hasn't had any rashes or reflux

It took a few months for DD's poos to change from that colour and she is on lots of different solids so that probably helps. I remember being freaked to and mentioning it to a couple of mums and they reckon it was fine and I guess so long as DD is happy and not showing any signs of discomfort, its got to be good

Ode2Joy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ode2Joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Kazper Kazper wrote:

Glad she hasn't had any rashes or reflux

It took a few months for DD's poos to change from that colour and she is on lots of different solids so that probably helps. I remember being freaked to and mentioning it to a couple of mums and they reckon it was fine and I guess so long as DD is happy and not showing any signs of discomfort, its got to be good

Hi Kazper!

I'm relieved to know that greenish poo can last for a while..Yesterday and today, DD's poos have become darker, like khaki green..and also very smelly. Consistency of poos are still like clay. Also, she has only 2 poo nappies a day now. While breastfeeding, she had a poo nappy every feed. DD also passes a bit of wind and grunts a little while pooping. But, she's happy otherwise..Is this normal or should I be worried? Next week, she'll be fully weaned onto Soy formula..
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 4:20pm
pooing less on formula is common, if they are going at least once a day it should be all good though.

I would not be happy with the colour though, green poos are a sign of an allergy and babies that are allergic to dairy are quite often allergic to soy as well, we were advised to not even introduce soy till after 12 months. I would also look into the soy formula, it's really not that great for them to be on even without the other allergy issues. I think it would pay you to ask your gp about pepti junior/neocate and getting a referal to a paed, preferable one that knows about allergies.

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 8:17pm
Hi Ode2joy,

Not sure about the grunting, perhaps she is doing it because she is pooing less, but like cuppatea said that is normal on formula and once on solids.

As for the green poo, I don't know. I was actually told it was ok when DD had poos like that because the iron in formulas can make it dark. DD's poos are now anything between brown/orange and yellow - which I'm sure is all the carrots and vegies she is eating

If your concerned, wouldn't hurt to get it checked out like Cuppatea suggests. I hear natropaths can order tests to. I was thinking of taking my DD to test for everything soon to.

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 8:21pm
Just had to skim back up to see how old your DD is. Yeh definitely try and get a referral and testing done. Didn't realise how young she was. My dr is an idiot and never ordered tests even though requested and never gave us a referral and it wasn't until she was 15 months and sick all the time that we got a diagnoses. She is on Vitasoy kids soy milk, but she is over 1. Your little DD would be better off with neocate like cuppatea suggested. Would also be a good idea to keep a daily diary so you can show your gp.

Ode2Joy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ode2Joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 8:52pm
Hi cuppatea and Kazper,

Thanks a lot! I was also planning to get her checked by GP and get a Paed referral if possible. She's due for her follow-up check for the dairy allergy in 3 weeks, but don't think I'll wait that long to see...

Yes, I keep a daily diary of food, poos, activities, etc. :) It's a real help, especially to show doctors!
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:52pm
If you want to know more about soy and how bad it is for you have a look at this site, it has a quick run down list to read and lots of studys/articles to read through.

Ode2Joy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ode2Joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2011 at 12:39am
Hi Kazper and Cuppatea!

We went to the GP and told her the whole story..luckily she listened to us this time, and gave us a script for Pepti Junior..got a tin to try it out..

DD's not too keen on the taste, so added a few drops of vanilla, and she's feeding better...praying that this will help her feel better..She also had her immune shots today, poor thing!
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2011 at 3:19pm
Great to hear it went well Ode2Joy and also great idea re the vanilla. We tried DD on neocate and she hated it. Wish I had thought of that lol.

Post Reply Post Reply