FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFood intolerances where to start?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by AandCsmum AandCsmum wrote:

I've never heard of cane sugar as a food intolerance.
I hadn't either - Catherine doesn't have it anyway I don't add it to any of her food and its not an ingredient in any of the stuff I buy for her, I check now.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 8:12pm
I'm almost picking that it's the sugar which is actually in the cane or the least processed sugar that they would be talking about. I think normal highly processed white sugar will be fine.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 3:57pm
GP wasn't the most helpful she does have eczema and seemed to think it was an age thing, she did say to stay away from diary easy enough to do with her diet, how do I eliminate it from mine?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
2crazykids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2crazykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 4:17pm
switch to rice milk or soy milk, and use Olivani spread (it's the only dairy free spread) I always found Soy milk nicer than rice milk personally. It's in the same isle as coffee etc. And do the same switch if your a baker, and in mashed potatoes etc, you can't really tell the difference. Dairy free pikelets: 1tbsp Olive oil, 2 cups flour, then rice/soy milk to right consistancy. I cook like 2-3 batches up at one go, freeze in portions, a great snack on the go with Golden syrup, for me as well as kids! lol Love pikelets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 4:32pm
I like soy milk so that's easy and will grab some olivani will be a good change for me from butter.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 10:07pm
Thanks for the dairy free pikelets recipe 2crazykids. Im thinking of going dairy free Im not breastfeeding anymore but DS is intolerant so it would make life simpler for cooking/shopping if we all did until he grows out of it (hopefully hehe)

Also with the RAST tests if you do see a paed they will organise that but my understanding is it is not always very accurate at such a young age? We are having it at 1 year...
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 10:15pm
Can you use oliviani instead of butter in baking?
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 11:20pm
GP's can order RAST & skin prick tests.

Taking dairy out of things you make is easy, just switch to a dairy free spread instead of butter & use rice/soy/oat milk instead of cows milk.

Basically with foods you buy watch out for anything that contains dairy or has whey/casin products, the MFD database has a list of dairy free foods.

Or if in doubt ask, there are a few of us who are dairy free around here.
Kel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 12:16pm
Awesome :) DH has bad exzema and we've never figured out why so maybe going dairy free could have other spinoffs, who knows
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 2:21pm
My advice if you don't want to go "milk" free on coffee or tea oat milk is definitely a nicer taste than soy.
Kel

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 7:22pm
Yep, olivani substitutes for butter in most baking.

A&C's mum, my brother was intolerant to sucrose (cane sugar) and fructose, and apparently it is pretty common. He did grow out of it though, fortunately.

Good luck C&J, it's so tricky to figure it out. Especially if, like DD, she's intolerant to more than one thing - when I went dairy free initially, I simultaneously upped my fruit intake and turns out fruit was just as bad so I saw no improvement. When I tried adding dairy back in though, she definitely got worse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12