FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPutting farex in a bottle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Putting farex in a bottle
    Posted: 07 September 2011 at 6:26pm
I have heard mixed views on whether it is a good idea to add farex to a bottle to help refluxy babies.

DD2 is now nearly 5 months old (but was born 4 weeks early).

While the renitidine seems to have soothed the pain of her reflux, she spills a lot and is waking frequently through the night hungry.

I am considering adding a little biut of farex to her bottles to a) thicken the forumla and b) fill her up a bit more.

Opinions please! Have looked online and views seem to be at either extreme on whether this is a good idea or not

Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2011 at 8:18pm
Do not add anthing extra to her bottles.

If you think she is hungry then feed her with a spoon.

Formula needs to be made to the packet directions and as soon as you start adding or subtracting stuff you can seriously harm your baby. Here is a link to an article about a special thickened formula that is made in america and how nasty it is. I am not saying that formula is bad, just specially thickened stuff. Have you spoken to your doctor about getting special anti reflux formula?

catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2011 at 8:55pm
Thanks Wiggles - will go and look at the site now. She is on Novalac anti-reflux formula and when we saw the pediatrician he told us he was happy with that choice.

We are seeing him again at the end of the month so can ask his opinion then, but wanted others views in the meantime

Leahsmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leahsmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2011 at 10:21pm
Susie I cant see in any harm in adding abit to thicken it up abit we also did that with Cody and seem to work but then just went and gave him it with a spoon. Maybe worth trying solids esp if shes nearly 5months and waking at night?

Edited by Leahsmummy

Angel Baby Dec 09, We will love you forever.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:05am
Babies only have little stomachs so the majority are still waiting through the night hungry. Also the reflux will be hurting her throat & she'll be wanting milk to sooth that.

My 2 year old was refluxing last night & was crying for a bottle, least he can tell me that milk makes him feel better. Gave him a dose of Gaviscon & he was happy after that.

Maybe you need to look at moving up to losec/Dr Reddy's if the Rantitidine hasn't got it under control???
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:30am
thanks A and C's mum - the pediatrician told me the Ranitidine just soothes the pain of the reflux, while the reflux formula should control it a bit better.

What does losec/dr reddy's do?

I didn't know it could carry on so long as to 2 years old! Was hoping she would be over it in a few months once solids got under way

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 11:10am
its normal for lots of babies - reflux or not - to wake in the night at that age anyway so may not even be hunger or reflux related.

catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

its normal for lots of babies - reflux or not - to wake in the night at that age anyway so may not even be hunger or reflux related.

Yes - I was lucky in that DD1 slept through from 10 weeks I guess! Still, all babies are different

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 1:23pm
The losec or generic brand Dr Reddy's turns off the acid pumps in the stomach. Gaviscon & Rantidine are really only a like a band aid, they put a lid on top of the problem.

Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:25pm
Yeah, I thought losec was really the best thing for helping reflux overall. I didn't have any results with anything else apart from neocate but he's dairy intolerant so that turned out to be a reflux aggravator.

I have heard of people giving farex in bottles. My understanding was that it was basically like giving thickened formula anyway, to help keep it down. I think you're probably on the right track with the thickened formula, you can always give the farex before the bottle to help keep it down, without actually putting it inside the bottle. But I don't think it's that much of a no-no as long as you're still making the formula to the right specifications ie right amount of powder and water. I have even heard of some paeds telling people to put farex in so it's not that bad Wriggles... confused by your response being so anti, sometimes you have to do what works, my baby used to puke up most of every single feed and thickening it helped to at least keep some down. Alternatively you could try what we were advised by the paediatrician which was to give a few spoonfuls of a simple carbohydrate like kumara or pumpkin, before the feed, as it helps thicken it the way a thickened formula does.

Also isn't anti reflux formula thickened formula anyway?

For me its about what works and helps them not to be in pain. Thickened formula may not be ideal but if it helps to keep the baby's feed down and help them not to suffer it's all right by me. In an ideal world we'd all have breastfed reflux free babies but it doesn't always happen like that

Edited by wiggly_jiggly
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 9:30am
thanks wriggly jiggly - makes me feel a bit better about things! I like the idea of trying a bit of solids before - may give that a go - however as DD2 was four weeks early i may leave it until i get a chance to speak to our pediatrician and see what he says about solids (she will be 5 months then, but only 4 months adjusted)

snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 2:09pm
All good catisla, my DS was nearly 4 months when the paed said to do the solids before the feed, he said as long as I kept it to those simple carbs (he suggested pumpkin, kumara, carrot and rice but only rice I pureed myself) then it would be ok. Seeing as your DD is older than that even being early she'd be ok I think but understand you asking paed first. I didn't give much just a couple of teaspoonfuls before the feed and then at dinner a little more usually kumara or pumpkin (kumara spew stains less than pumpkin tho hehe). It worked quite well to help keep the feeds down, but that was in combination with losec too. I highly suggest you talk to the doctor about losec, some are reluctant to put babies on it but the way I see it, why make them suffer if there's something that can stop it.
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
newmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 11:00am
beware of giving pumpkin kumara etc to babes as this makes my sons reflux worse than ever - i was one that put 1/4 of a teaspoon of farex in my sons bottles and worked wonders it was the very thin stuff and really was just to keep his bottles down but thickened formula made his worse go firguire - our son was on 20mg of losec a day but last week we have reduced it down to 10mg and he is handling it like a star so there is a light

Post Reply Post Reply