FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReflux & dairy intolerance beyond 1 year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflux & dairy intolerance beyond 1 year
    Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:36pm
My DS is dairy intolerant and on neocate and also has bad reflux. He was nearly reflux free for about 2-3 months but once we weaned him off losec his reflux has come back in full force, so I have put him back on it again. It seems that he's still quite intolerant to dairy as well, as he accidentally ate some baby food with a bit of milk powder in it and was really sick and also as mentioned another time he got sick after sucking on a flannel which was used in a bath with some bath 'milk' that had milk protein in it. The paed led us to think he'd probably grow out of it after a year. We have a form for tests allergy at 1 year, but other than that no fixed time to go back to the paed/plan of what to do next.

So my question is where do I go from here? I suppose it depends on the test results. But my understanding is that the tests don't show up intolerances? How should I go about seeing if he's grown out of it yet- give him dairy every so often down the track? How often should I try weaning off losec again?

Also he has randomly started waking absolutely screaming the place down. Is this probably reflux related? He used to do it when he was smaller but not for a long time

ETA: It's usually about an hour or two after he's gone to bed that he wakes screaming. He has dinner about an hour before going to sleep

Edited by wiggly_jiggly
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Sponsored Links

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 9:14am
Well DS1 has just turned 4 and we've been in the same boat as you, though DS1 is lactose intolerant. He was on losec til he found his feet and we slowly weaned him off but then had to go back to it for abit and wean him off again so he was closer to 2 by the time he was losec free. We took our time and just lowered the dosage every 6 weeks or so by a tiny amount then gave his body time to adjust. I'd be inclined to wait til hes on his feet before you try again.

Sounds like your DS has more than an intolerance, it sounds like hes totally allergic so the tests may pick it up. We found that because DS1 was 100% lactosefree that the tests weren't bringing back accurate results because since it wasn't in his system at all he wasn't having the same reactions to the introduced stuff - make sense much?? He was older when we had tests and IMO keeping his system protected helped it heal itself abit so he grew more of a tolerance to tiny amounts. When we put him back on dairy and lactose his body spun out though and the tests were really clear. Even at 4 he can cope with a certain amount then its suddenly too much and we get the reflux, the sore tummy, vomiting, etc.

At 9mo we also went through a stage with both boys where they just got super unsettled so that may be whats going on with your boy. Might not have anything to do with reflux, it might just be that stage! Hope so

Not sure if any of this helps lol but thats our experience anyway!
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 9:35pm
Thanks Babe that does help. Yeah he does seem to be almost allergic but I thought he would get a rash etc if that was the case- does that not have to happen?

I think he probably is having an unsettled phase combined with reflux acting up as he hardly ever puked for a few months then it was after dinner each night 2-3 big pukes again, which we hadn't seen since going dairy free. He has stopped puking again back on losec for the last few days which is good.

I guess we just play it by ear and see what the tests have to say
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 10:11pm
Cooper has had a real refluxy week from a bit of cheese we allowed, eczema back, waking screaming after 2 hours, he was asking for a bowl & then doing a big burp with the owww sob sob afterwards, don't even talk about the bowels! Must say Gaviscon worked a treat, he was sobbing for a bottle which I knew wouldn't help.

We haven't had him re tested. We keep him 100% dairy free & he's ok. Still on Neocate as well.

Do the tests & if they come back neg, get him dairy free & then challenge it, it's the only way unfortunately. So our mishap was a mini challenge which he failed
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
scribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 10:52pm
You could get him re-tested but usually the symptoms will speak for themselves. I did get my daughter (3) tested (for the first time) when she was 2 and nothing came up, but she still gets horrible diarrhoea and eczema from dairy, so it made sense to keep her off it.

The random screaming ... dare I say it but it could be another food allergy or intolerance. That's what happens whenever I try my 10-month-old on some gluten/wheat (plus she gets a horrible dry-retchy-kinda cough, and is generally a misery guts for the day following too). Maybe keep a food diary to see what might be a trigger. For my girls soy triggers vomiting.

Edited by scribe
 Post Reply Post Reply