FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhen did your reflux baby stop spilling?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did your reflux baby stop spilling?
    Posted: 20 September 2011 at 9:54am
DS has had quite bad silent reflux. He is still on the same dose of Losec that he has been on for about 6 months. We tried to wean him off it a couple of months ago but it wasn't successful so put him back on. He has always spilled a little, never a powerchucker but would always bring up a bit of milk with burps etc. He has gotten quite bad though lately with spilling after meals - I think the only reason I'm noticing it more is that he started crawling a month ago and so is leaving deposits all around the house which is very frustrating! He is worse after dinner and because he really likes tomato based food then it stains!! He is still having mashed food for dinner but has finger food for lunch and snacks. Please tell me he will stop soon, we are going to have to replace our carpet soon and it's only a few years old! Oh he is nearly 11 months.
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Sponsored Links

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 1:45pm
My DD still spills, but I guess it became much less frequent after about 15 months?

Also, my understanding with losec is that they will get worse initially for a few days after taking them off it and then improve, so if you can stick it out for a week and then decide maybe that's a good idea? (I'm pretty sure thats losec - maybe check with your gp?).

Our carpet got laid a month before DD was born, fortunately we got a colour that hides stains pretty nicely, but still! I feel your frustration! Hope he improves soon
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 9:39pm
Hehe I don't know the answer I just wanted to say I so feel your pain on the tomato based puke. I had to throw out some sheets today because napisan didn't do the trick on the puke stains on them :( I know what you mean about the carpet too- we're renting so I stress about that a bit. If you look closely at my carpet there are a few stains! My paed said smoother foods are better than lumpy ones in terms of aggravating the reflux. You could keep his food really smooth until he stops puking as much perhaps?

Have you ever tried going dairy free with him?

Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 9:32am
DD was definitely the opposite with regards to the foods - a belly full of liquidy foods is still a recipe for disaster. I used to give her a pikelet after a BF to soak up the milk and hold it down better. Lots of bready type foods seemed a good option for her.
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 9:53am
No, haven't done the dairy free thing with him. He's been on formula since a couple of weeks old so pretty sure that any intolerances would have shown up by now? Apart from the spilling, he is happy enough now. And he eats alot of yoghurt, cheese etc!

Actually T Rex, when I think about it, he spills after breakfast which is sloppy cereal, doesn't tend to spill much after lunch which is all finger food and spills after dinner which is slop again. Hmmm. Doesn't tend to spill much after a bottle now but then again he only has a bottle before naps/bed so isn't really up and playing. I've been trying to get him to have "proper" food for dinner but he won't have a bar of it, just wants his slop    Maybe once he does then his spilling will decrease. Maybe I should push it a bit harder lol!
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 9:55am
Oh Lisa, did you try lying the sheets in the sun? Zac has a really cool PP hoody but the background is white and he smeared his spag bol all over it and it wouldn't soak out, leaving a big orange stain. I left it on the floor in the sun for a few hours and it vanished
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 9:34pm
I didn't, thanks for the tip I will try that next time for sure!

I think the paed meant that chunky foods are harder to digest causing them to be regurgitated kind of thing, whereas the smoother ones go down easier. Definitely helps having stodgy food in the belly etc to soak up the milk but I think he was more just saying lumps aggravate the reflux. Definitely been the case here. But he mainly only pukes up after a big meal these days or a big burp haha but thats on losec
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
 Post Reply Post Reply