FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow long is realistic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long is realistic?
    Posted: 13 November 2011 at 12:47pm
Just wondering how long it took you all to lose your baby weight?

I put on a lot in pregnancy and was left with 12kg to lose once all the swelling etc went down. I have managed to lose 7kg this year through diet and exercise, but it's been a very slow process, with maybe 1kg lost a month and some ups and downs.

I was working on the 9 months on, 9 months off scenario, then was trying to get it off by a year, but I haven't managed to. I have 5kg to go and they are stubborn.

So I was just wondering, how long did it take you to get it all off? And keep it off? I know eventually I can get there by doing what Im doing but it feels like it's taking so long compared to some other people.

Im nto prepared to starve myself or over exercise etc in order to lose it as I don't want to gain it back- Im trying to lose it in a way that will be sustainable long term ie with healthy eating and lots of exercise, which I do believe is the right way, but the slow way!!
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 1:59pm
i think that i stops being baby weight after that long LOL! Now its just extra weight!

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 5:07pm
9 months on, 9 months off for me. I found it was very very slow going to lose weight while BF though.
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 5:16pm
I never got there before getting pregnant again

You are doing it the right way and as hard as it is, just keep on keeping on - you CAN do it!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 5:54pm
After my youngest... maybe 3-4 months but that was being strict on my eating and going hard exercise wise. I've dropped a further 10kg on top of that.

The last few kgs do tend to be a bitch but theres usually something you can do to kick start weight loss again. For me to loose the last kg of my entire weightloss after being stuck on the same weight for 3 months I only changed the type of protein shake i was having and it suddenly fell off me and then a bit extra
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2011 at 10:28pm
I still call mine baby weight and my "baby" is almost 2.5!!

With my first I had about 10kgs to lose (start weight 54kgs and after DS was about 64kgs to begin with) - I basically hardly lost anything while BFing so still was over 60kgs when he was 10 months and I stopped BFing, then it literally fell off and was down to 56kgs when he was 15months and got pregnant again. With DD I've found it alot harder - had about the same amount to lose, battled to lose about 4kgs of it last year then put it back on gradually while not exercising so much and going back to work / on holiday etc etc - and finally I'm back down to 59kgs as I've been trying for MONTHS!! I love my food too much to really diet though (and never had to before kids) ...... so to answer your question - I think you can't expect it to all come off in a certain amount of time - it depends on so much (age / no kids / energy / time to exercise / priorities / weight to begin with etc). I barely had the energy to exercise til DD was 18months old (with a baby and toddler to run around after). and I'm coming to the conclusion that heading towards 40 after two kids via c section that my abs may never be back! lol
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2011 at 9:51am
That's a bit harsh Bizzy, didn't post this to be laughed at. Your comment made me feel stupid.

I think it's baby weight because I didn't have it before I got pregnant, and I haven't put it on since I had baby.

Thanks for the other comments. I guess my body just takes a bit longer I don't know
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2011 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by wiggly_jiggly wiggly_jiggly wrote:

That's a bit harsh Bizzy, didn't post this to be laughed at. Your comment made me feel stupid.

I think it's baby weight because I didn't have it before I got pregnant, and I haven't put it on since I had baby.

I thought the same thing! Really harsh. And rude!

I think if you put the weight on having a baby and the BABY is 11 months old - it is baby weight. I still consider mine baby weight too even though shes 2 - because I put it on while pregnant and haven't lost it all since. I was never like the before kids, and if I hadn't had kids I wouldn't have the weight, so as far as I'm concerned the weight gain was caused by the kids.

Good luck losing it.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2011 at 7:22pm
I don't know how long is realistic when it comes to losing the weight you put on when preggy. For me I have always had weight issues so never termed the extra preggy weight as that...& for me BF never help with losing any, the only thing that did was getting out there walking with a baby in the pram & that is why I think I fell pg so soon again, DS2 was 7mths when I found out.

The one thing I do know about a realistic way in losing the extra weight is eat less & get moving & if you had a strict daily cal intake & strict exercise program then I guess it would not take that long...just look at the stars but if it was that easy then I would be stick thin by now...

Well done on your 7kg loss. Maybe you need to change things & shock your body into it. Pick a different exercise you like & summer foods will help..be proud of what you have done

eta spelling

Edited by jazzy
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Nikki Nikki wrote:

Originally posted by wiggly_jiggly wiggly_jiggly wrote:

I thought the same thing! Really harsh. And rude!

I think if you put the weight on having a baby and the BABY is 11 months old - it is baby weight. I still consider mine baby weight too even though shes 2 - because I put it on while pregnant and haven't lost it all since. I was never like the before kids, and if I hadn't had kids I wouldn't have the weight, so as far as I'm concerned the weight gain was caused by the kids.

Good luck losing it.

at the end of the day its fat - wether it came from being pregnant or not. Have you come up with a game plan to shift it? Jazzy had some good ideas.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

at the end of the day its fat - wether it came from being pregnant or not. Have you come up with a game plan to shift it? Jazzy had some good ideas.

Absolutely true & Bizzy you are a real inspiration, 3 kids, huge weight loss & still going strong. It does not really matter if you put weight on before, during or after kids losing weight is still hard
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 10:01pm
Bizzy - it was still a mean thing to say!! Laughing at someone for calling their weight gain baby weight, when in fact that is what it is as far as she is concerned - not a nice thing to do. Perhaps the theory of "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything" may have applied here.

Whats my plan? I'm 59kgs, so still at a healthy BMI even with my extra 5kgs. And have been running / walking and doing zumba to lose it, plus cut down on junk food. I've also lost the baby weight very slowly like wiggly jiggly. But realistically I don't think at my age I will get my fat level down to the low level it was at in my 20s/early 30s to have visable abs again, so I'm not going on any extreme diet to achieve it. My focus has more been on fitness.

I think the original poster is doing great doing it slowly. We are all different so its not realistic to put a time frame on the weight loss. There is so much pressure on woman these days to be back in size 8 jeans within weeks like the celebs, and I just don't think thats realistic for most of us!!! Just my opinion anyway.

Edited by Nikki
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 5:40pm
it wasnt meant to be laughing at her. and i was asking wiggly jiggly what her plan is... if she wants to call it baby weight i dont care. its extra that she doesnt want and i can understand that completely.

IMO though calling it baby weight is just an excuse to have excess weight. that is my opinion which obviously differs from yours and hers and thats ok.

Edited by Bizzy

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 8:13pm
You didn't answer any of her questions constructively or offer any help --- you just laughed at her and basically have said shes making excuses for her weight gain! It was mean. and rude. I don't understand the point of saying something so nasty. I would have been offended too.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 9:39pm
*sigh* Nikki not going to argue with you.
but if you want to know how i lost my weight it was by changing what i eat - a kg a week approx is what i worked on. i eat less of the stuff that is bad for me and move more. I eat more fruit and veges and i exercise portion control. I dont believe in baby weight - its just fat (as i already said)and if its excess fat and not shifting you have to work at getting rid of it. I dont believe in starving yourself either as that is not sustainable...

Edited by Bizzy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 10:46am
Bizzy, Im not making excuses for anything. Calling it baby weight to me just means the weight I gained while I was pregnant, nothing more nothing less. It makes no difference really what you call it you're right, but the point is, it was in my opinion a mean thing to say and not helpful- I asked for advice, not to be put down. Thanks Nikki for sticking up for me, I appreciate it. I feel now like I can't really post in this weight loss forum for fear of comments like that so maybe you should think about that Bizzy- how it seems to others instead of just you.

Its not been that easy for me to lose the weight this year because I have gone through periods of bad post natal depression and during that time it was difficult to focus on the diet and exercise in a positive way. Im not making excuses, merely just saying it has taken longer for me because during this year I have not been focussed on it the whole time.

What I have done is make my diet as healthy as possible, limited my bread intake opting for crustkits or rice cakes instead, and stopped eating too many processed foods, and have upped my exercise. I need to get back on track with it again as I have had a busy time with my sons birthday etc, again not making excuses just merely saying there are times in your life where you can be more or less committed to it.

Argh I feel like I have to defend everything I say now in case its seen as making excuses.

Bizzy the bottom line is it was rude, and unhelpful. If you can't see that then that's your problem. Just because you have lost lots of weight doesn't mean you can be mean to others- you should share your knowledge in a constructive way instead of in a way that makes people feel bad.

Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 12:31pm
wiggly jiggly i would hate to think that you wouldnt post in the weight loss threads cause of me - if its any help i have not applied for the private thread so you certainly wouldnt have to worry about my rudeness in there. They are a very supportive bunch of girls in there and i think that between them all have faced most problems that losing weight throws at us. Use their experience and support - you wont regret it!

Oh and i think a few of the girls in there too struggled with depression and how that can impact the weight loss journey too.

Edited to add last para.

Edited by Bizzy
Annika269433 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annika269433 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 5:32pm
I put on 15kg my last pregnancy and most of that was put on in the first trimester because of MS And then in the last trimester a lot of my gain was also fluid retention. 7 weeks after birth I am now 3kg off my pre preg weight I read somewhere that 12 - 18kg is the normal range.

If you can keep active and avoid comfort eating (definitely harder for me during the pandemic) you can definitely lose weight (even during your pregnancy).

The recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise (or 75 minutes of more intense exercise) definitely helps. That's a couple of walks or online cardio / Zumba / HIIT classes a week.

Yoga helped me lose my weight a lot faster.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way.

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked for me during my pregnancy when I started gaining too much weight.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results.

Good luck!

Mandy
 Post Reply Post Reply