FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBroad beans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broad beans
    Posted: 25 November 2011 at 1:56pm
I have some pods forming. How do I know when they are ready to pick?
Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2011 at 5:46pm
Yum I love broad beans, im glad someone else does too! They are ready anytime from when there is a bean in them, you can't really go wrong! They usually grow to about 15cm long, and ripen from the bottom of the plant up. When they are tiny like pea pod size you can them and eat them whole, otherwise let them grow until bigger then shell the beans out. Best way to cook them is to lightly steam or boil them (3-4mins tops). I missed out on planting some this year :(

blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2011 at 11:25pm
Yay - thanks. Mine are looking fantastic so I'm looking forward to trying them.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2011 at 5:46pm
Awesome! When they have finished doing their thing dont pull them out, cut the stems off at ground level and let the roots rot into the ground. Cause they are a legume they get nitrogen from the air and put it into little nodules on their roots. If you let the plant naturally decay then you get it back into you soil which is a really good thing :)

Post Reply Post Reply