FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shera22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shera22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula help
    Posted: 17 February 2012 at 4:36pm
Hi

Was just wondering if anyone can help. Figured out last week that my 3 month old daughter has a cows milk protein allergy/intolerance. Saw the pead on Wednesday and she went for her blood test today. As I am mainly breastfeeding her symptoms aren't that bad and since last week I have cut out dairy in my diet. Unfortunately she only gained 80grams in the last 8 days so need to add some formula top ups. I don't produce enough milk despite taking Domperidone. Should I try pepti junior or neocate? I don't mind buying a tin until I can get a special authority. Although that involves proving her allergy which could be difficult because she is mainly breastfeed. Any help or advice I would be really grateful.
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2012 at 9:50pm
They will want you to trial goat or soy first possibly, what did the Paed indicate?

Wonder if anyone out there on neocate infant would send you a tin?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Shera22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shera22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:49pm
Thanks Kel

Paed said they would put her on Pepti Junior first. I went and bought a tin. She has had 90mls of it today so will see how we go.
sbeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 2:56pm
yeah they get you to try pepti junoir first then if not working you can try neocate usually

Ceres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:20pm
Good luck Shera. You should be able to get a special authority number based on her RAST result if she does have a CMP allergy. The iGE will be there, even if you're breastfeeding, from the dairy in your own diet.
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:21pm
We didnt have to trial pepti junior, soy or goat before going to neocate, our paediatrician just assessed him and sent away for a special authority... so I guess it depends who you go to. Buying a tin of neocate costs around $100 for a tin that lasts maybe 3 days so I would try not to do that, try and get the paed to send away for an authority number for her
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:22pm
oh and sbeach congrats!!
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
Ceres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:22pm
(And if they push for a soy trial, be very very careful. CMP and soy allergies often go hand in hand. DD was asked to trial soy formula, had 2 tsps and ended up having a massive allergic reaction with full body hives, swelling, and rash.)
Shera22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shera22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 9:04pm
Thanks everyone

Saw my doctor (GP) today and got her to check the results. All negative but I had cut our all dairy from my diet for a week before the test, Wonder what the Paed is going to say. I know its a CMP allergy but now I have to prove it to get the special authority.

Any suggestions for Paed who are good with this?

Its so hard to prove as she is breast and bottle feeding.

I guess the next step is to give her some ordinary formula and see how she reacts and bring back dairy in my diet.

Since I gave up dairy and put her on Pepti Jnr her skin is way better, her feeding is way better and she is so much more settled but how do I prove this?

The fact that her father had a cows milk allergy when he was younger and drank goats milk makes me so sure.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 10:47pm
It sounds very much like what my boy has, a severe intolerance, if you look back in the allergy section there are loads of descriptions on what type of allergy/intolerance she will have.

Where are you based? If you're in Auckland or Chch you can see a private paed and not have to jump through as many hoops.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:04pm
If you are in Aucklad see Allen Liang he wont make you go back on dairy or anything like that what you have done should be proof enough
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
 Post Reply Post Reply