FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedElevit or other prenatal vits.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RRoseagh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRoseagh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevit or other prenatal vits.
    Posted: 04 March 2012 at 9:21am
hi all and morning on this v. brisk windy morning.

Just wondering how many continue taking Elevit or prenatal vitamins after the 3mnth mark??

I'm an older mum (42) and this is not my first so I am thinking that it would be a good idea. They do say that you can stop the elevit after three months....

Have a good one.
R
Sponsored Links

BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2012 at 10:05am
Folic acid and iodine are the two biggies when it comes to prenatal supplements, so taking those for the first tri (and before pregnancy) are important.
Elevit is full of other bits and bobs that are good for you even when not pregnant, so it can't hurt to take them after the 12 week mark (just really pricey!).

A good diet is generally enough to keep you on an even keel, however (for me, anyway) an iron supplement is a good idea.

tigger,roo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger,roo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 12:55pm
i take blackmores preg gold throughout the preg - get them at supermarket, found elevit gave me constipation. also now takin iron tablets was taking iron melts until a week ago.

Angels - March'11, Nov '10, May '10
Buntingsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buntingsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 1:22pm
I think it's recommended you take iodine for the entire pregnancy - assists with brain development.
Your midwife should check your iron levels as your pregnancy progress as it's common for it to go down as bubs takes it all.

Edited by Buntingsmum
[URL=http://lilypie.com][IMG]http://lb2m.lilypie.com/OCHup13.png][/URL]

[URL=http://lilypie.com][IMG]http://lmtm.lilypie.com/sz8Fp12.png][/URL]
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 7:29pm
I was planning to take ELevit this whole pregnancy, and maybe for a while after too because Im a busy mum of 2 , working partt-time too, and I get very sick when I get run down, so Im wanting to do what I can to keep healthy. Its soooo expensive tho. Was thinking of looking at a cheaper pregnancy multivit after the 3 month mark.
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 7:48pm
My midwife said Centrum is a good one to take. I don't take elevit, it is a rip!
minipig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minipig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:16am
I've been taking the blackmores preg and breastfeeding gold too.
Though I haven't for the last couple of weeks as I've been waiting to see it on special!
I'm also now on iron and probiotics, though need to get more probiotics too.
Stupid expensive suppliments!
LuckyRed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 2:36pm
I have been taking Blackmores Preg Gold and now swapped to Elevit for the remainder of my pregnancy. I figured it can't hurt!

Alexisj15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexisj15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 10:48am
Im almost 31 weeks and took centrum everyday until I found out I was pregnant and have been taking Elevit ever since. I also took Folic Acid in the first 3 months and take Iodine every day. They suggest taking Elevit while breastfeeding aswell so its gotta be good for you.
ArielAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArielAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 8:15am
I kept taking Elevit right through until not long after DD was born - my iron levels took a serious hit and without the Elevit I would have been having to take an iron supplement anyway.

I did only take it every second day though (because it is so expensive), and in the first three months of pregnancy on the day I didn't take Elevit I took a folic acid supplement.
After 16 months TTC, surprise BFP July 10
DD1 Mar 11
After 9 months TTC, BFP on 4th Clomid cycle Feb 13
DD2 Oct 13
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 9:49am
ive been taking blackmores pregnancy vitamin, my midwife also said not to take elevit as its not as good

with #2 i stopes taking it after 3mths tho as it was making me get a really upset tummy, this time ive been taking them at night time which seems to be ok

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
koromiko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koromiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 1:41pm
I'm taking iron and iodine, both prescribed by midwife so only $3 each for 3 months worth. Midwives can prescribe some of the other nutrients too like calcium.
CJsays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJsays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 9:24pm
I didnt take anything after 4 months, i started with folic acid, then shifted to Elevit after 3 months but the pills were too big and i was too nauseous, i was 33 when i had E. Just do what you are comfortable with after, so long as you have a fairly good diet you should be fine after the 3 month mark - i am sure the mcdonalds cheeseburgers for afternoon tea helped me!
 Post Reply Post Reply