FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDairy intolerance confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dairy intolerance confusion
    Posted: 19 March 2012 at 2:01pm
Ok so my son had what the paed thought was cows milk protein intolerance in his first year. His symptoms were severe reflux and vomiting, and also digestive symptoms such as being very gassy, constipated etc. When he turned 1 I decided to trial him on dairy. He didn't seem to be able to handle cows milk formula, so I tried lactose free formula and lactose free anchor milk, and it has seemed ok no reflux, but he's been a bit funny ever since then- really irritable, very gassy, bowel movements can be weird from constipation through to diarrhoea. Also gets a runny nose and cough. When he had his blood test at 1 year though all was clear. So Im trialling him back on neocate to see if that makes these things stop but I only have 2 tins left and his 1 year prescription runs out this month. If I find neocate makes it better, do I need to go back to the paed again to get a new prescription or would the GP be able to do it based on the fact we have an authority number already, albeit about to expire? Thanks for your help

ETA he also has a slight rash on his upper arms, it isn't red or anything I can just feel these little bumps there, I dont know if it's related

Edited by snugglebug
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2012 at 10:07pm
You can go to your Gp to get it renewed. Do it now :) Ours runs out this month as well.

YOur boy sounds to have something similar to mine, a severe intolerance but not an actual allergy, bonus of this is that they will outgrow it, taken us 3 years but we're getting dairy slowly introduced back in.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
tulips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 9:27pm
Hi Snugglebug
Your son sounds very similar to my 25mth old daughter. How is your son now? Her reflux was diagnosed at 3-4mths and she has been on losec ever since. Currently 20mg daily. We've tried weaning her off but she reacted by having anxiety and behavioural issues. I had to be dairy-free while breastfeeding and she has no dairy except lactose-free formula. If she does, she wakes screaming in agony a couple of hours after she goes to bed. We have found that giving her 5mg of losec calms her down. It's so hard to pinpoint. Dr Rodney Ford wants her to have a gastroscopy which is under general anaethesetic. It's so hard to know what to do. I am a bit sick of the trial and error!
InthemiddleMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 1:41pm
IMO At over 1 year they dont even need to drink formula/cows milk.

My DD was weaned from BF at 13months and she never ever drunk milk again only water (until about 4years of age when she discovered banana milk at mcdonalds)

Maybe Just talk to pead/gp/dietican or google about good calcium sources.

Milk is not an essential item of a toddler IMO and I have a healthy daughter to prove that theory.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 2:51pm
Girls Rock is sorta right, you also need a good source of protein as well which you get from milk as well as the calcium.

Also if he can drink fortified rice milk then that is suitable as both a good protein & calcium source.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
 Post Reply Post Reply