FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMoving to NZ at 28 weeks - advise needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mickeyrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickeyrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving to NZ at 28 weeks - advise needed
    Posted: 05 April 2012 at 11:57am
We are moving back to NZ in May after 6 years away - yeah! I will be 28 weeks when I move back - just wondering what I need to do regarding prenatal care - do you think i should i be contacting midwifes now and trying to book in or just go to my doctor when i get back - not really too sure how it all works in NZ, had my first baby in Oz and now in New Caledonia being looked after by French doctors!
Any advise/ideas would be much appreciated
Thanks Michelle
Sponsored Links

Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 12:33pm
Do you know whereabouts you will be living? I think it would be a good idea to contact some midwives, but you can always go with a hospital team if you don't have much luck.
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 1:46pm
Like Red said, try and get a midwife now if you can - it's quite late to be looking, but will be even later if you wait until you're back. They'll then be able to guide you through the process.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 1:54pm
Yeah you are probably way to late to find a midwife now- most full up when people are under 8 weeks preg,..but definatly worth ringing around now- or getting someone to do it for u!
If not, you can contact the closest maternity hospital and be under the team there- you may or maynot see the same midwife for each appt, and will have whichever midwife is on duty at the time for the delivery.

GP's dont do maternity care here, other than for the first 12 weeks if u choose to contact them first instead of going straight to a midwife, so there no point going to them. You could contact GP clinics for midwife recommendatiosn tho, or poast a thread on here asking for midwife recommendations for the area u are moving to.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 3:25pm
I would still contact some Midwife groups you never know they might be able to fit you in, ie some might be increasing their work load.

The system here is way better than what there is in Oz, if you can get an independant mw at this stage, otherwise I think via hospital mw's it'd be pretty much the same as Oz?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 3:27pm
If you're moving to Chch I can point you the way of a awesome MW down there
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Mickeyrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickeyrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 4:20pm
Thanks for the advise - looks like I better look up some midwives then - I had heard they book up early so might not have much luck.......off to Google Hamilton midwifes now!
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 5:17pm
This thread might be helpful. It recommends mw from all over NZ. Also check out the websites for Waterford Birth Centre and River Ridge Birth Centre for a list of mw with access agreements.

All the best!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
kferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2012 at 3:06pm
Hi,

I am in a similar position: I live in Bali and heading back to Tauranga to give birth. I too have been in a mad panic to secure a midwife (due at Xmas).

I read the New Zealand Pregnancy Guide and it was really helpful at explaining the system to me. You will most definitely want to lock in a midwife before getting back, unless you wish to go through a midwifery team, as 'all the good ones' tend to get booked up quite quickly.

What I am doing is getting a midwife in Bali to do my monthly tests up until I return to NZ and then handing off that file to my NZ midwife when I land. You should consider getting your 11-13 week nuchal translucency scan and 20 week anatomy scan done wherever you are based and taking those results along with you when you get to NZ.

Also, you should have access to prenatal classes on your return, and your midwife should be able to refer you to one locally.

Best of all... if you are a NZ citizen - all of your maternity care (with the exception of some expenses, such as scans) are free!

Post Reply Post Reply