FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedApril 2013 Babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081>
Author
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 9:03am
After a few nights of literally screaming from early evening til 11pm ish....I feel my good little bubba is back.
Not sure what it was or if its gone but gosh it was hard work. Nothing seemed to work. Last night was a dream :) even if I only get one 5 hour stint, then gradually less. I'm over the moon today lol.

I really feel for parents dealing with colicky babies, reflux issues, etc.

Sponsored Links

emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 12:22pm
How is everyone going?

Me...not so great! Ashley won't sleep - well she does but either short stints or takes hours to go down.

We have tried everything. We are consistent with our bedtime routine whenwe wind down for the night. Ashley will go to bed anywhere from 7pm until 11pm. Every night is completely different even though we don't change a thing! I am so fed up.
For example, on Sunday, she woke every 2-3 hours, but went straight back to sleep without an hassle each time. I could handle that. Last night she slept 4-5 hours from 7ish until 1.30 but wouldn't go back down until 5.30am! Four hours of awake time in the middle of the night. Drove me nuts.
We don't turn lights on, we don't talk to her, I rarely change her at night, especially the first waking.
My partner is sleeping in the spare room to get some shut eye as he hasn't been coping at work.
We are using a dummy which she is now taking but not every time. She really has a mind of her own and this has only started since about 6 weeks. Now she's almost eight weeks, I'm going insane! I wouldn't mind so much if she had a consistent routine but every night (and day) are different.
Even now, she has taken almost 3-4 hours to go down for a nap. She just won't settle. She doesn't scream, but will constantly fight the sleep. As I said earlier, nothing we have done changes, and she used to be so easy. Karma for thinking she was an angel!
We have a miracle blanket which I find hard to use (doesnt really work for us) and the love to dream swaddle has arrived today so will try tonight after washing.
I have tried dream feeding her, with expressed milk from the morning (which is fattier) but she still wakes heaps during the night. Next step I guess is to try a formula night feed, which is a bone of contention in this house as my partner doesn't want this. But he isn't getting up during the night. And because he starts work so early 3-5am, depending on the day, he goes to bed early, like 8.30pm, so hardly gives him any time to help or let me rest. Or even for him to chill out.
Just don't know what to do! She is feeding well, growing like a mushroom (she's bloody huge!)

Argh, vent over.sorry for the rant!

She's finally asleep, but this could last 20 mins or three hours. She is so unpredictable. I have tried following a routine but she fights. She's definitely got some personality now!

(By the time I re-read this, she is awake again. Arrrrrggggghhhhhh)

Speck8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speck8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 12:54pm
Hey ladies,

Sorry for being MIA, busy busy here with birthdays, my MIL arriving and my husband quitting his job!!! For a while there we thought I was going to have to go back to work! But fortunately he's had another job offer.

Awww Emma huge big hugs to you - it sounds like it has been a challenging couple of weeks. The unpredictabilty is difficult because you don't know whether you need to grab a quick shower and cup of tea or whether you can start doing something which might take over an hour to do - I totally understand your frustration.

Not sure if you're open to advice but I have read somewhere that babies between 6 and 8 weeks go through a new sleep phase as they start to become more aware of themselves and their surroundings and this is usually evidenced by being difficult to settle and catnapping. Josh has been completely self-settling since 5 weeks but I have noticed in the past few days that he's been protesting a bit more, I thought something was wrong but I just left him for another couple of mins and he nodded off. If you are prepared to do the hard yards, I think if you can get her to completely self settle for all her sleeps then I'm 90% confident it will stop her sleep problems. However she might cry and she might cry a lot so you have to be prepared for that and if you're not then it's probably not best to try it. Although I will say the younger you do it the better. Have you read the 'Oh Baby' book by Kathy Fray that Bobsta and I have read? 'Save Our Sleep' by Tizzie Hall also has some good tips. I don't follow the routines but I found the other information in the book to be helpful. As for the formula feed - by all means give it a whirl though if you're pretty sure hunger isn't the issue then I don't think it will make much difference. We did a formula top up with DS1 at about 3 months as he was waking 4 times a night and it didn't make any difference. His problem was that he'd got into the habit of waking at night and we eventually broke the habit at 4.5 months with sleep training.

Completely ignore all of my above advice though if you're not keen to leave wee Ashley to cry as I know it can be very hard and isn't for everyone =).

We moved Josh into the cot last night! He has just totally outgrown the moses basket. Fortunately it went without a hitch.

I had my first mother's group last Wed which was really cool, the ladies seem really nice. One of them had identical twin girls! I could not imagine doing all of this with twins, then again, they say twins settle each other so maybe it would be easier.

Oh question - what do you all do during your awake time with your babies? I'm always keen to learn what other people do as we tend to do the same old stuff here: tummy time, nappy free time on back, in bouncer while I shower, propped up on pillows in my room while I get dressed or put washing away, play with DS1 and try not let Josh get trodden on ;).... so keen to hear what you ladies all do!

Have a good week and Emma, let us know how you get on =)
DS 1 born in May 2010.
Speck8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speck8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 12:59pm
Also Emma I don't know if you are familiar with The Sleepstore but if you like their page on FB they have a forum where you can ask lots of questions. They also have lots of sleep info on their website.

Another FB resource is a lovely lady named Emma as well actually who has a FB page called 'Baby Sleep Consultant'. She posts lots of interesting tips and for $10 you can ask her a question or for I think $50 you can get a full on sleep advice consultation. I have had friends who have found her to be amazing and I find her page and tips really helpful.
DS 1 born in May 2010.
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 1:53pm
Thanks Speck. Yip have tried leaving her, although I'm not a fan of leaving her to cry we have tried it.
She doesn't usually self settle with this and will work herself up. The frustrating thing is that she will self settle 50% of the time no problem, the other half she will protest and work herself into a huge state.

I have read the Kathy Fray book but it was awhile ago, so may get it from the library again. I've tried all sorts of websites and books, including reading stuff from the sleepstore. Thanks for your advice, always welcome. I am prepared to do the hard yards but when your exhausted with little help it is tough :(

Wow, nice that you don't have to go back to work!
I don't think Ashley will be far off her big cot, growing too fast

During awake time we have floor time, nappy off time, read a story, play her Leap Pad toy which sings, bouncer, looking at her mobile, looking in the mirror, etc   

Edited by emma_3335 - 11 June 2013 at 1:54pm

emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Speck8 Speck8 wrote:

Also Emma I don't know if you are familiar with The Sleepstore but if you like their page on FB they have a forum where you can ask lots of questions. They also have lots of sleep info on their website.

Another FB resource is a lovely lady named Emma as well actually who has a FB page called 'Baby Sleep Consultant'. She posts lots of interesting tips and for $10 you can ask her a question or for I think $50 you can get a full on sleep advice consultation. I have had friends who have found her to be amazing and I find her page and tips really helpful.

I have booked a consultation with the Baby Sleep Consultant Emma.

Will keep you updated ...

Speck8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speck8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 10:41pm
Oh wow great that you've booked a consultation Emma.

I may have to eat my words as Josh has been all out of whack today. This morning he slept for 40mins and then he had 2 x 30min sleeps and that was it all day!!!! I left him to resettle after each sleep but he started to get worked up so I got him up. The thing is though is that he seemed to be pretty content even with little sleep (apart from later in the avo but he's pretty regularly unsettled at that time of day). It was just really weird though cos he always has at least once long sleep a day of about 3hrs - hmmmmmmmm. It made it quite a long day as he was awake for so long but at least he was happy. I don't know if it's a growth spurt or maybe to do with being in the cot or what! ahhhh babies ay, the only constant with them is change! Will be interesting to see if he repeats it tomorrow and if he does I guess I'll just roll with it and carry on with our day regardless. He may just have to get used to being lumped around a bit so that I can get out of the house more with DS1 (I usually try and make sure Josh is home so he can have that big sleep but if he's going to cat nap all day he may as well do it out and about).

Definitely let us know how you get on with the Baby Sleep Consultant - fingers crossed she has some good tips with you. I know that she's very accommodating to the type of parenting that you prefer so for Mum's who don't want to leave babies to cry, she provides advice for hands on settling etc.
DS 1 born in May 2010.
Mrs JCD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs JCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 5:04am
Hi all!

Sorry it's been so long - we have also had some 'fun' times with Lara and I was so ready to get on a plane home late last week. I'm constantly amazed by how 'high' the highs are, and how incredibly 'low' the low times are with having a baby. We had a 6 week growth spurt to contend with (where she fed like a demented squirrel) and are now trying to sort out day sleeps. I'm now able to get her to settle to sleep again (my fault, as I had mixed her feed time with playtime so she wasn't fully tired before when going to bed), but she's now waking consistently around the 30 to 45 minute mark, which is very frustrating.

Emma - definitely let us know how you go with the sleep consultation. We have both Kathy Fray's and Tracy Hogg's (aka 'The Baby Whisperer') books and pulled them out in desperation the other day. Of course they completely conflict each other on a couple of major things - one says leave them to cry; while the other says never leave them to cry. We do leave her to cry, so apparently I'm either a good parent or a terrible one. There is some good stuff in them, but most of it I just think is crap (i.e patting and shushing them at the same time means they can't concentrate on crying - ah, not according to Lara!) It sounds like you are doing an awesome job and god knows, it's so hard knowing what to do when nothing seems to work - believe me, I feel your pain!

Speck - we usually put Lara on the floor under a play gym with a couple of toys hanging over her to look at. I also talk to her, read her a book and make stupid faces and give her nappy off time (thank god for disposable change mats!) She gets really active and loves to kick her legs and shake her arms. Really cute - that kind of cuteness gets me through the super crap feelings - well, most of the time.

Fingers crossed for you all (and me!) that we have angel babies this week - gosh being a parent is blimmin hard, isn't it?!!
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 7:18am
Thanks both of you!

You sound exactly like I'm feeling Mrs JcD.
Yesterday we only had cat naps, which like Josh, Ashley is happy with, or seems to be.
We had our anti Natel reunion last night so we were out late. Ashley settled and was asleep by 10.30 (after a sleep in the car and at the group from 7ish til 8.30ish). She then slept til 2.30 and was asleep again in half an hour. Then she woke at 6.30 wide awake. She will hopefully go down again soon. So that wasn't bad, but again, it's ever changing!

The last book I read was the Baby Whisperer and I agree with some of it. They all have good tips but you really must take what you will from them. It was good to chat with the other parents last night and feel normal!

Edited by emma_3335 - 12 June 2013 at 7:19am
Speck8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speck8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 5:17pm
Hey JCD, great to hear from you! How are you enjoying San Fran??

Yes these babies sure keeps us on our toes don't they, who would've thought something so small could be so powerful!

Woke up today wondering how today was going to pan out with regards to sleeps. For Josh's first day sleep he only did 20mins!!! Arrgghhh. It really stresses me out ay. I sometimes wish I was more relaxed and could adopt a more go with the flow attitude but the fact is if he sleeps for anything less than an hour it stresses me out as I feel like it's not a proper sleep ya know.

SO after the 20min sleep I took him to mother's group and he fell asleep on the boob there for about 40mins. We got home and he settled well, but woke after 30mins, left him to resettle and he did, but now he's woken again and it's about the 45min mark. I just can't decide whether to get him up or leave him ya know. I worry that if I get him up it will get him into the habit of catnapping which I don't want. But if I don't get him up I worry that he's had enough sleep and he's just lying in his cot bored yelling out "come and get me mummy"! Arrgghhhh. I guess it is all just trial and error at the end of the day isn't it and what works one day might not work another.

Emma - sounds like your night went really well, great that she settled well at 2:30am. How is your day going today?

And yeah the books are so conflicting aren't they. It doesn't stop there, I'm reading books about toddlers, some are pro discipline ie: a naughty corner or time out and others are "child centred" and say that ignoring bad behaviour makes it go away - yeah right!!! =)
DS 1 born in May 2010.
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 8:12am
Yesterday was great lol. Can't win. She did go back down for a decent nap in the morning, and again mid morning for a couple of hours. I had to wake her to go to coffee group. She fed there after an awake period and fell asleep on me. All of the other mothers think she is perfect ... She is always good when we are out!
I left her in the capsule for a bit once we were home and she had another decent sleep. She went to bed for the night around 7pm which is early for her, she was still asleep when I went to bed so I gave her a quick dream feed and she slept til 2ish. I don't think the dream feeds really work for us! We were up 20 mins and straight back down. She woke again around 4.30 and against 7.30. So we are still up frequently but it's not bad when she goes straight back down. Which she has for the last couple of days. She's back down now. So I'm pleased but its not perfect!

I tend to be a bit more go it with the flow than anything else. Maybe thats where I'm going wrong. It's strange cos my job is very structured (back in normal life).

We have our 8 week check today (8 weeks today!!!) Ashley is so strong, I am really looking forward to her check today. Plunket tend to be more thorough than the docs. I reckons she will be ready for the jolly jumper soon. She holds her head now and her legs when held upright. She is by far the biggest in my group for her age ...

emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 3:28pm
As soon as I have a rant, Ashley is back to normal. Can't win!

She has been putting herself to sleep on her own the last few sleeps and is a little angel again. I still use the love to dream wrap, white noise and dummy sometimes so not completely on her own lol but with no protesting! Bliss.

Plunket was good today, she's grown 4cm since her 5 week check so that huge. Weight is steady and she's now 11lb4oz. Little giant baby! They were extremely impressed with her strength of head and legs and her ability to focus and follow so doing something right

Speck8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speck8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 4:30pm
Yay yay yay yay Emma, soooo pleased to hear your little angel baby is back! ANd she's getting so big too - great to know she is thriving so well!!!

As for the dream feed, I never found them to work for DS1 either so haven't tried it with Josh.

Yesterday after I posted I ended up getting Josh up and he fell asleep on the breast for over an hour which goes to show he needed more sleep!

Today I have played around with keeping him for longer (1hr 45mins) and he slept for an hour this morning and then another hour late morning. Better than the 30min sleeps he was doing the other day but still not great. Ah well. He has his 2 month jabs this avo so no doubt things will change again.

Gotta run, he's crying
DS 1 born in May 2010.
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 7:44pm
Cool Speck. Just got to follow your gut and know its not always going to be right but no one can get it right first time 100%

Sounds like your doing really well so just enjoy and trust that we will all get there in the end! Haha...one day...we hope.

Mrs JCD, how are things? Hope they have improved ?

emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2013 at 8:50am
Another good night here. She even went to bed without the dummy and the white noise all times. Weird. We were up every three or so hours though. But that's ok....

One day ill get seem decent sleep.. I dream of that day

Chloe119731 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chloe119731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 12:35pm
Hi mums, this is my first post on the forum. I have a 5 yr old boy who's just started school and a little girl born 30th of April. Have been keen to find some mums of babies of a similar age so was very pleased to come across this site. Does anyone know of a mums and bubs group in Auckland area for babies around same age as our babes?
Speck8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speck8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 2:42pm
Hey Emma, awesome that you had another great night with settling! And yes a full nights sleep will be total bliss once it arrives!! Funny thing is though, I tend to get up more for my 3yo than I do for Joshy, well not always but last night my 3yo kept losing his teddy. I'm so used to it now though that it doesn't even bother me.

Welcome Chloe, nice to meet you! We are a pretty small group but always welcome new members. Not sure about a mums and bubs group in Auckland unfortunately. You could do the Plunket Pepe course? I did that with my first and we kept the catch ups up after the course finished. I also joined a playgroup round Panmure way that my Plunket nurse put me on to. Ask around and I'm sure you'll find something.

Josh had his 2 months jabs the other day and although he screamed when he needle went in, he did pretty well otherwise. He managed a long-ish sleep yesterday afternoon as well which was great. He's getting really big too, totally outgrown all his 000 clothes and I'm going to skip 00 and just go straight to 0 I think. I finally got around to doing his thank you cards so they've been ordered and should arrive soon, can't wait to see what they look like. DH has been off work for 2 weeks now and starts a new job on Monday, has been sooooooooooo nice having him off to help with the 2 monkeys, think it's going to be a shock to have him back at work again.

Emma - how are things going with your partner in terms of helping out with Ashley? Have you managed to find a happy medium?

Bobsta - long time no hear! Hope you and Lili are doing well.
DS 1 born in May 2010.
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 10:48am
Hi Speck - Relationship wise things have been better. We are getting there though. Ashley tends to play up more on the weekends when Dad is home so I think she can feel the tension or something. I'm not sure. We go out during the week and have visitors so I'm unsure whether that's it. My partner is trying to help out more, but he is happy to leave me to it and isn't even that interested in bonding with her which sucks. I'm sure he will get there.

I'm so used to not sleeping a full night, I'm not too worried about it! Ashley has been waking around twice a night for the last few days so that's ok. She goes straight back down too. Yesterday she wasn't great but as I said, things were a tad tense yesterday morning so we really need to work on that ....

Bobsta - I was thinking about you earlier. Haven't heard from you in awhile.

Chloe - welcome :) there is only a few of us here. As Speck suggested, i too have joined a PEPE group through Plunket and there are lots of bubs of similar ages. It's a great place to chat and vent lol.

Edited by emma_3335 - 16 June 2013 at 10:49am

Speck8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speck8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 2:44pm
I think some guys find it hard to bond with the bubbas when they're so little but as they get older and more mobile, the guys tend to bond more. And once they're walking around and are toddlers they bond even more so because they can play so much more with them. Great to hear your partner is trying to help out more Emma, I guess that's all you can ask for.

Yeah the night wake ups just become the norm after a while don't they. A bit of a shock to the system to begin with but after a few weeks, it's second nature.

Well after a whole week of catnapping and me just getting my head around to the fact that I'll just have to roll with it, Josh pulled out two massive sleeps yesterday!!! I could not believe it!! Just goes to show that these babies of ours keep on changing. I can't believe Josh will be 10 weeks on Wed!

Emma - did you cancel your baby sleep consultation or keep it?
DS 1 born in May 2010.
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 3:29pm
I haven't cancelled the sleep consult, but haven't heard from her so will wait and see.

I find Ashley cat naps some days and then one day a week she will sleep a lot more. Maybe a catch up day. I'm not sure (like most things!). Today is a cat nap day after a good night and morning.

Bloody hiccups keep her up as she won't sleep with them of course, and they can last a good 20 mins. Even a comfort suck doesn't help most of the time.

Sunday was good with Dad and Ashley was great so that's cool. He does help out, and as she gets bigger he does spend a bit more time with her. Not so delicate in his eyes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081>