FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNeocate tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nani123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nani123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neocate tips
    Posted: 30 October 2012 at 10:10pm
So my GP gave me some Neocate sample while we are waiting for an authorization code from the government (or something like that) for the script. She suggested I mix it with breast milk due to the taste. DS became very unsettled at the end of the appointment so I can't remember everything she said. Do I mix it half and half or does it taste very bad and I need to have a higher breast milk ratio? Also, is there any side effect with this formula, anything I should watch out for?

They gave me a bottle cooler bag and a formula dispenser with the tin of formula, which is really nice.
Sponsored Links

rea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 1:55pm
Sorry, don't have any tips for you as we have only just started our 6 month old on Neocate Gold last week due to multiple food allergies. Luckily he has happily switched from BF to the neocate - even though it smells awful! Just waiting for our first delivery of our monthly allocation of formula. He is drinking quite a lot though so think I will be constantly counting tins and organising another delivery. We are semi-rural so am worried about reliability of our courier delivery. How do others find this? Did you used to be able to pick up the Neocate yourself at the Pharmacy but has this changed recently?
Sorry, didn't mean to high-jack your thread! Good luck with getting your DS to drink it - you may find he likes it like mine did. Best of luck!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 10:24pm
I added in a bit of icing sugar at the start & less scoops for water & worked the strength up. You should find no side effects.

I always picked the script up from the GP & took it to the pharmacy & they got it in for me the next day. You could get them to get in the amount regularly so it's there to pick up when you are in town?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Ceres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 10:44pm
It is a good idea to start it more diluted as they 'wean on' to it. Mixing with EBM works for some babies (DD took a long time to take to neocate, EBM didn't help!) - but our dietician also recommended using a little maple syrup, golden syrup, or vanilla to sweeten it up until they get used to it. Icing sugar sounds like a good idea, I'd just be careful if you have a child with multiple protein allergies as there is often maize (corn) in it. I've also heard the same about using less scoops to more water and gradually working up from other mums, but we didn't have to do this.

We always get our neocate from the pharmacy. I can phone in the morning to order a repeat and they have it by 2pm. Although you're rural, I would imagine they should be able to get it in for you within a couple of days.

<
 Post Reply Post Reply