FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMums supporting each other

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
JacquiDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 8:39am
Oh Minny, that sounds awful!  I think it can be hard for the guys to understand the physical connection/need we have for our liitle ones - how much it hurts when we aren't with them!  I'm lucky that Hamish is really good about it, even if he doesn't quite understand that all day, everyday all I think about is Marty!
And of course they know when we're there - look at their reactions, holding our fingers, opening their eyes, just having us close to them does them the world of good!

Sounds like Isaac is piling on the weight!  Not far till he's caught up to Marty, thats amazing!  He'll be in clothes and a cot in no time =-)
We have to wait until Marty is off the CPAP till we get to start breastfeeding - oh well, another milestone to look forward to!
Marty is in tiny prem clothes - so cute!

Hows Beaux doing Peppermint?
Take care and enjoy your day ladies!
Sponsored Links

Nicky102981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicky102981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 3:27pm
Hi Ladies I'm new on here and just been reading your posts - it's so cool to hear others stories and the ups and downs. Whilst my friends are great they just can't really understand what it is like to go through this experience. And sometimes when I catch up with them I just want to talk about other stuff. Where are you all based? My little boy Ethan is in Wellington NICU I had severe IUGR so he was very growth restricted was born on the 29th November at 26 weeks 6 days weighing 500 grams. I feel like part of the furniture around here and it's been slow progress with plenty of tears as well as laughs and smiles along the way. I am constantly amazed by these kids every day and the way they fight and can just turn things around when it feels so bad. I'll never forget the day he reached one kilo it seemed to take forever and now he is 1640 :-). After a rough couple of weeks recently (he got an infection) he has come back fighting and with more alttitude than before and this weekend just gone has been a big weekend for us. Off CPAP on Saturday night and onto Wellington and then yesterday into a thermacot and clothes woop woop. The thrill of picking out clothes and dressing him and seeing him look like a 'real' baby was amazing . It's funny isn't it that these kind of milestones that whilst probably really small to Mum's of term babies are so significant and important to us. :-)

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 5:09pm
Hi Nicky...welcome :)

I definitely get what you mean re. friends. So many people have this advice and comments, when it is so out of place in our situation. I know they mean well, but sometimes I feel a little 'short' with them.

I am INCREDIBLY lucky with my partner, who so far has not expectation of me doing anything, other than being at our wee boy's side.

Yay for the small milestones though hey :) we moved to a cot today from incubator, and this is HUGE! We are also dressing him more now (photo therapy over again) in his tiny prem clothes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 6:47pm
Hey Nicki, 
My baby is in Wellington NICU too - Martin (Marty) Duckett.  I'm sure I've seen your wee boy, may even have met you at some stage?  What room is he in?  Marty was in 'E', but is now in 'C'.  Actually, did you used to be in 'E' too?
I'm so incredibly proud of Marty, not only has he sustained his temperature while in the thermacot, but he is already off hte heated mattress and onto a 'normal' one!  So proud of my wee boy!  I had the most amazing 3 hour cuddle today, Marty wiggled straight into the horizontal/laying in my arms position and stayed there the same time!  He slept absolutely zonked out the whole time, don't think he opened his eyes once!
So all we have to do is get him onto the wellington CPAP and we can get him up to the Hutt - can't wait!
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 7:07pm
Welcome Nicky,

I had IUGR too, but my boy was born just under 1kg, so have had less of a journey than you, but still a journey!

I had a wonderful day with my boy today. He is latching on beautifully. I have to keep quiet when he does tho, cos my excitement distracts him! Haha

I have to agree about the friends. Mine are trying hard, but they just don't get it. And whilst I would never take anything away from them having full term babies, sometimes it's easier to just not talk about the unit. They have no concept of the excitement we feel when our babies reach 1kg, or 1500g, or get dressed for the first time... Or the anticipation of dressing them for the first time!

To be honest my DP doesn't get that either. Isaac got given some tiny prem clothes today, and they are already washed and drying. How's that for willing my boy to move to the next step! I also tried to latch him twice today... Although he was actually looking for it so I happily obliged! I love love love how he falls contentedly off to sleep after he's been latched on.

JD and Nicky, do you know a mum called Stephanie, and baby Xavier? We share a room with them. He got transferred to Wellington for a bit but is back in Auckland now.

Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Nicky102981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicky102981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 9:16pm
Hi Guys
Thanks for the welcome :-)
Jacqui we did start off in room E but think I had moved into D by the time you got there as we never had a Marty in our room. I remember seeing his name on the incubator next door though. We are now in room B right in the far corner. I will have to find you tomorrow and say hello. I'm usually pushing the nice big brown lazy boy around between the rooms as its my favorite chair for cuddles :-)
Minny yes Steph and Xavier were in the same room when we first arrived only for a few days though then they moved next door so didn't really get to know them very well. But used to say hello around the NICU. I always remember thinking how unlucky to be from Auckland and yet they had to be down here In Wellington away from home as there was no room for them in Auckland. Hope they are doing well say hello from us.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 9:43pm
Ah, the wonderful brown chair!  I had it today, so hard to get hold of =-)  I like that one or the big blue one...Yes, do come and say hi, I'm in the far left corner in C, tend to be in from 1130 till 3ish (cares are @ 12)  would love to meet you!  Are you actually from Wellington?
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 10:01pm

JD, that is excellent that Marty has achieved so much in a few days! Even I am proud of him! I just can't wait for Isaac to be there too!

Yes, Nicky, I felt sorry for Stephanie when she told me her story. I was almost transferred to Waikato hospital but they decided that Isaac was too unstable to cope with the move as he was dropping his heart rate. They already knew the issues with him, and were just waiting for signs he was in distress, so by the time he showed that, at 30 +1 there really wasn't time to transfer. I was pretty pleased about that, even though Waikato really isn't too much further from where we live. I will say hi for you! Little Xavier is doing well.

ETA - Peppermint, thanks for that breast feeding link. had a quick look but haven't read much yet. definitely will though!

Edited by Minny - 11 February 2013 at 10:02pm

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 3:28am
GO MARTY...what an awesome day alright!

Our wee man also sustained his temp in his cot so gets to stay there too!!! Last night I did add an extra wool, and am going to take in woolen blankets from home to replace the polar fleece they have, just so it is extra cozy.

My mum left today after being here about a week, it was a little hard, but also feels like a 'next step'. I even vacuumed today after my nap! She has been amazing while she was here, cooking, ripped out our vege garden and re-planted. Tidied our while section, shopped for anything I needed, and best of all, gave us HEAPS of space to just be us. It was awesome for her to finally get to hold our man yesterday when he graduated to his cot. Even though she was horrendous while I was pregnant (you may remember my rants JD and Minny), she knows what she did, how she spoke to me, and everything that happened was very wrong. We were both adult enough to talk about it, acknowledge it...and she was able to acknowledge that is was all her fault / problem...and that we had never done anything wrong...so we can all move past it. I am unfortunately never going to forget, and it has changed things for me, but, I am able to forgive her.

Anyways...today is going to be a good day too with my partner on night shift, so he will get heaps of time up with our man today :)

But right now, my heat pack is cooling, so that means time to express, then get back to bed... :)
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 7:36am

Peppermint, that is awesome that your mom has been so awesome, especially afer all the drama's from before. It's amazing how a tiny new life can bring so much into perspective and change people so much. Its great that you are able to forgive her.

I have really missed having my mom here. I wanted her to come over from Zimbabwe earlier than the planned April visit but they have so much going on it was really difficult so they will still come as planned. In one way it will give us time to get through all of this and get our boy home, but on the other hand the support would definitly not be unwelcome!

Well, I am off to start my day at the NICU. Can't wait to see my tiny boy today!

Have a good day ladies!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 8:25am
Yay for your Beau Peppermint, such a big thing when they maintain temperature!  Sounds like there are different policies in different hospitals when it comes to who gets cuddles.  In Wellington ONLY Hamish and i are allowed to cuddle or even touch marty until he goes home - definately no cuddles for grandparents =-(  I'm hoping at the HUtt they are a bit more relaxed.  I know its for infection control, but surely its better for them to be weaned into having other germs around?  Would be better then having a sudden burst when he gets home?

I had a go at Hamish yesterday - he came home from visiting Marty on his own, and I was thinking he'd be excited/happy about seeing him in the cot for the first time.  Instead, he gushed over the puppy then took her for a walk.  When he got back he was talking all about her, what she did, expecting me to be all interested. It seemed like he was more interested in the damn puppy then our son!  He said its just that he doesn't get excited over the little things...  Its really hard to understand/remember sometimes that things are totally different for the dads then the us mums - I think there really is a different bond between us and the boys at this stage.

Oh Minny, appariently there is a statistically higher amount of boys born prems then girls - we were right =-)
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 5:39pm
Yeah, we have nominated who is allowed in to see our man, and who is able to do what with him - although it was my partner and I only while he was in an incubator. We agreed immediate family are the only other people who are allowed in to see him, and to touch him - but ONLY when we are there, and only when we ok it.

I think another part of it is that handing our wee men at the moment actually expends their energy...so handing them around, and the energy is takes them to cope with that is best spent growing.

It is pretty different for us vs. partners hey. I feel for my man back at work and only seeing him once a day some times, but, it will be better to save leave for when we get him home.

and yes...all the MW told me boys are the ones that cause more trouble :) in all fairness though, there were more girls at our NICU to start with!
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 7:31pm
It is funny how processes differ. At Middlemore it is up to the parents who they let in, or not, just that the person has to be accompanied by one parent at all times. I couldn't even leave DP's cousin while I went to the loo, I had to take her with me!

I had a lovely day with Isaac today. He had a big sleep from 8:30 til 1:30 and when he woke up he was looking for his hand, or whatever he could manage to get to his mouth, given his non existent co-ords, so I very quickly expressed for a bit and latched him on. It was the best latch yet. My boy will definitely have no problem with feeding once he's strong enough to draw milk, although I am wondering if I expressed less off if he might be able to drink a little as it will flow a bit more. I might have to talk to the lactation lady tomorrow.

My friend had her baby today and I quickly called in to see her on my way home. I hope I didn't offend her as after looking at Isaac her 8lb cherub looked massive! I think my words were "holy hell.... Look at you...." Baby's arm was about as wide as Isaac's back! Heehee....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 9:10pm
1654g!   My boys getting so big!  He's really looking like a real boy now =-)
We had the most amazing cuddle today, Marty slept the whole time, then woke up when cuddle time was over.  He was looking around when I dressed him, then we had a good 'chat' (as in me gooing at him) till he fell back asleep.  So in love!
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 7:19am
That's so cool JD. I love it when Isaac will fall asleep so soundly with me, but put him back in the incubator and he's wiggling and trying to open his eyes even though they are just too tired to open!

Isaac gained 60g since Sundays weigh so is now 1360g. Yesterday he was dropping his heart rate alot which is slightly worrying. He was checked over and the doctors were happy with him and no reason for him to be dropping, so hope it's a little blip and he's not doing it today. It means I don't get as many cuddles which I don't enjoy at all.

AFM, my MIL had an operation to remove the tumour in her spine and by all accounts it went well. They didn't get it all but did get most of it, so hopefully this gives her some relief and some time to enjoy Isaac and my 4 month old nephew.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 7:35pm
Marty tried to latch on today!  All by himself!  We had just started cuddles - he straight away wiggled down horizontal,  aimed for my nipple and started trying to latch on!  We aren't even at that point yet - he's still on 6&6 CPAP!  We gave him a dummy to suck on instead and he went hard at it for about 20 mins!  My little trooper - he's always amazing me, so incredibly proud of him Smile
I had the most amazing day with Marty today, was with him literally all day, cuddling from 12-430 - a record for Marty, he did so well! I only left after his 6pm cares - he'd obviously had enough of me by then, he was getting grisly and when I went to smooch him on the cheek he pushed me away!  Was very cute - a definite 'go away mum!'

How is everyone else tonight?  
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2013 at 4:58am
yay Marty...that is awesome! what an awesome wee man you hsve JD. Our wee one did the same thing after birth, wasn't 'supposed to be able too' but was keen to try.

have you ladies heard about 'early buds'? it is an organisation that provide small packages to prem babies. I can't remember the exact www address, but they are one fbook too. one of the nurses showed me the pamphlet so I registered.

AFM...my wee man is coming a long in leaps and bounds. after randomly taking a full feed from me last night, the nurses are keen to move him to 4 hourly feeds, so we can start feeding at every feed, instead of every second. Might only be a month or so until we get him home!!! :) He just needs to keep up this awesome feeding, and we will be good to go. SO LUCKY he is the trooper / hungry like he is!
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2013 at 8:03am
Hi Ladies,

JD, great news that Marty is showing signs of wanting to latch. It will be such a special moment when he's off CPAP and can finally start trying to feed. I love my latch times with Isaac, even though he is still too little to feed, he latches on and just lies there. If I take him off he starts looking again, so I know he likes the comfort and its just an amazing feeling. The doctors think that once he's out of the incubator (and only needs to gain another 400g for that to happen) he will be strong enough to feed and will most likely be away as he already latches so well. I think your boy will be similar. He's got the instinct, he just needs all the conditions to be right and it will be all go!

Peppermint, that's excellent that your boy is now feeding off you. Another step closer to going home! Yay!

AFM, we got moved from C room, which is the monitored "step down" room from the intensive care side, into a less monitored room as Isaac's breathing is so stable. He still drops his saturation levels from time to time, but self corrects so they are not worried about him.

I am having alot of pain in my left breast. I have never felt anything like it! I noticed it yesterday with a pain almost under my arm, but by the time I got home the whole breast was incredibly painful, and the volume of milk was very low. Might ask to talk with a doctor up at the unit today as something is definitely not right. Anyone else having painful breasts?

Edited by Minny - 16 February 2013 at 8:05am

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2013 at 8:58am
Minny I have a duct on my right side, right under the arm, that that needs a lot of 'hand on' while expressing to empty it properly, and it can get very hard and very very sore.

I would definitely talk to the Doc's or nurse / lactation consultant about it to see if there is anything going on.

Awesome about your room graduation :)
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2013 at 8:26pm
Thanks Peppermint.

I spoke to one of the nurses at the NICU today and she said it seemed like blocked ducts. I have been using my wheat bag and then expressing to reduce the pain, but she got me to continue to express on the sore side, and I ended up getting 90ml off and much relief. It is still getting sore but at least it's not more serious and I know that frequent expressing and using the wheat bag will help.

Today when I went in to see my boy, he had been taken off the monitors overnight, so now only has a thing under his mattress that will alarm if he stops breathing!

I had a super long cuddle with him today. He had been really grumpy all morning and not sleeping well, so after my 2:30 cares, and bf attempt, I did skin to skin and he settled so nicely. I tried to put him down after 2 hours and he just packed a massive tanty, so we carried on with skin to skin for another hour. Then he had a half hour cuddle with his dad so he's been up of the incubator all afternoon.

It's weigh day tomorrow and I can't wait to see what he's gained. He is definitely starting to fill out now! Our goal is 1800g so we can come out if the incubator. Only 400 more to go...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>