FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew Privacy for Forums and New Membership idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AngieBaby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote AngieBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Privacy for Forums and New Membership idea
    Posted: 08 February 2013 at 9:18am
Hi You wonderful people!

We have a few questions and ideas we'd like to put forward about the forums as i've been getting a few ideas come through on my private messages that have us thinking and i think they've been good ideas- but as always - we want to run them past you all first :)

What if we made the forums access for members only that are logged into the website. So if I was 'Joe Blogs' just looking around the OHbaby! website, I wouldn't be able to access or see any forum posts just the first page with the main topics. All that Joe Blogs would see is -the main topics with a pop up "Welcome to the forums" type page that says you need to be logged in as a member to view the forums?

Would that solve some issues?

Another thought was we make joining the forums a bit like pinterest - where it can be by invitation - either by a friend inviting their friend, or by them registering and then OHbaby!/and perhaps a few volunteer moderators approving their registration onto the forums?

All ideas welcome -
Our goal is to be an inclusive and loving community so whatever we do we don't want to exclude mums and genuine members to the site.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links

emmat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote emmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 6:04pm
I met some lovely mums on here but after a while it is nice to really get to know them, so of course we added each other on Facebook and took advantage of their private groups, this was amazing as we got to know each other beyond the screen name and now we are such great friends who share so much more than just baby info, they are like a whole group of BFF's (thanks OHbaby). The main annoyance for me of loging in to OB is that 50% of the time I can't actually login to the forum, I need reset this, delete that and by then my lunch break is over and I CBA. Don't get me wrong, I love the OB magazine and the website, and I still use the forum for reference/queries. I think if the forums had been private when I joined a due group then it would've made it easier to share more information with the girls and there are some people who like the anonymity of the forums, especially in the early days of pregnancy . I would be interested to see how it works and I will definitely be coming back for a due group if/when there is a no.2!
TeacherLady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeacherLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 8:05pm
I am the same as emmat- we have a private FB page for my group too.

OhBaby can be REALLY annoying to post in- it only SOMETIMES works on the comp, and I can never post on my phone (yes it is in the mobile page mode, and I have tried logging in and out MANY times on there...)

If you are going to make it so that we all need to log in to view and post- please don't go doing crazy things that mean ii is a pain to do so.
I do like this idea though- that it is private.

Edited by TeacherLady - 08 February 2013 at 8:05pm
Keleho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keleho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 8:49pm
I think its a great idea to make the forums 'member only'. I dont think it needs to go as far as needing an invite - what if someone wanted to connect with other mums-to-be but were not refered here by someone? Having someone moderate the people joining is a bit off for me as well - what would the criteria be? It just seems a bit unwelcoming having to pass a check over, and could put off some people.

ETA - Wanted to add, I think needing to sign up to OB to read the forums is a good idea, but I dont think you should have to sign up to individual groups in order to read things. That way, it allows people who are maybe not so comfortable posting right away to get advice and follow along

I think the facebook groups that develop from here are inevitable, as they seem to be on other parenting forums as well. I get why they are something that admin arent keen on but I guess it comes about as people get comfortable with each other and want to share their personal lives just a little bit more in the way that facebook does. No changes to the ohbaby site would really change that for me - facebook allows me to get to know the people I am chatting to more than a site like this, and while thats not so important in the other sections, to me it is when you are sharing some of the things you do on your pregnancy/baby journey.
Thats not to say I think the forums should change their format though, quite the opposite - the anonymity is fantastic when it comes to asking/answering questions, and when the 'due in' groups start out.

Edited by KLH - 11 February 2013 at 9:51am
sem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 6:43pm
I don't have an issue with privacy in this forum. I know it's a public platform so I am aware of what and how much personal information I choose to give out. 

Not sure what difference it would make though to make it a members only forum? It  still means anybody who wants to can join and then read. 

I have noticed a lot more spam, random posting and advertising from new members though. Not sure how to get rid of them but I don't think having to sign up would deter them.

Here we go again, another baby on it's way!
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 8:22am
I would be concerned that it would deter a lot of people (like myself) who lurked for a long time before actually joining a thread and posting. I started reading the OB Multiples threads when I was pregnant and found the info intersting and helpful but wasn't in a place to start posting until my twins were several months old. If I hadn't been able to read the posts and get a feel for things first I wouldn't have bothered joining.

babygiraffe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote babygiraffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 8:50am
I'm actually disappointed the 'Due in' threads have gone private. I enjoyed reading how the pregnancies were progressing and then finally seeing all the announcements 9 months later. Especially the girls I had been on OhBaby with for a long time. Just my thoughts
waterbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 10:44am
I agree with KLH that you should have to be a member and sign up but don't think you need to go to the extent of being invited or vetted before you can become a member.

I also agree with Sem that a lot more advertising / spam seems to come through on the forums and perhaps that these need to be "approved" by Oh Baby or there needs to be a specific topic for these companies, individuals etc where members can choose to view and comment or not.

I liked the option we had to go to a private forum with a password and surprisingly generally those on the private still post things in the normal due forum too - more personal / sensitive information is shared on the private due forum and I think we have all helped each other through things where you could not have felt comfortable doing so in the normal due thread.

Small changes could do a lot, big changes could do damage. Overall though love the site and the people.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 12:38pm
I dont know if making it more private will help at all. I know it was asked for lots previously but frankly there is hardly anything going on in the boards lately to warrant it any more. I also dont like the private forums even though i belonged to the weight loss one. It would have made more sense to me make the whole site private in first place instead of private boards. Private boards arent a very inviting way to run a form IMO.

Rachie123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 1:53pm
I agree. I liked the concept of the private forum and was gung ho about one being set up for my due date group but have found that people are posting in both or only one and the relationships don't have a chance to build and bond like other forums where everyone is together.

I like the idea of some privacy but have found that people utilise the private messages when they want to discuss something privately. And as Babygiraffe touched on, it's nice to read other forums like "trying to conceive" or "Birth stories" etc etc and not necessarily participating in those threads. If you had to be invited or provided passwords for every area you were interested in, it might spoil the baby community we have here. I love following other women and reading about their journeys.

Just my 10 cents . I do love OHbaby and find it to be the best forums for everything baby and pregnancy in NZ.

Edited by Rachie123 - 11 February 2013 at 1:55pm
TCC since December 2011
Angel Baby Sept 2012
sem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 4:03pm
I totally agree with the above comments. To me, there is not much of a community any more at all. The board seems dead as everybody posts in private groups. I would often read the month ahead and behind my due date month but that just isn't an option any more at all. 
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 5:52pm
Lots of valid points here. Personally when I first came to ohbaby I liked the fact I could read and get a feel for where I fitted in threadwise before being brave enough to join in. Even now I still like to read a thread before contributing if its a place I haven't been before.
I live in a small town so to ensure I remain anon no-one knows I post on here and I work hard to keep personal details away from public reading.
I can understand others wanting to keep it private esp if people know each other IRL etc.

Just my opinion - I like it as it is. I don't participate in private threads so can't comment.
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
IVF3 Angel baby born 22.3wks
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 6:56pm
Before we had all the private forums & so many different topic we had heaps of involvement & the boards were buzzing. Now it feels like it is dying out.

I think you should have to sign up with a proper user name not guest... before you can view posts or reply. It should just come up with the topic to get the interest.

At the end of the day you are posting on the WWW & there is no such thing as privacy.

Lots have gone to FB via the private groups so I think you need something to get the community feel back again.
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 2:08pm
I think they are all good ideas and valid points.

I agree with the being able to read forums, but needing to be a proper member to post.

I see the purpose of both public and private threads.

I like the idea of being able to invite your friends to join.

I personally love OHBaby and rate it over all the other parenting sites. I love the layout and how fast the pages load and the fact you can have tickers and signatures and the ease of use.

Nothing against other parenting sites, but I find Treasures forums drive me nutty with their loading times, so I just give up on them completely and Huggies, it's just not got the ease of use.

I love the forum jump function down the bottom of the page and have always preferred OHBaby forums to any other.

I'm an OHBaby addict to be honest. And I have nothing but good things to say about what you have done here and those ideas you have suggested.

I think all the forums and thread subjects are great and cater to nearly every person who comes to OHBaby forums for advice or support.

Edited by escadachic - 12 February 2013 at 2:16pm

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 5:31pm
I think the FB groups are more of a concern than pvt groups on OB, at least members of the pvt group stay with OB.
sem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 5:32pm
but both make the forum seem boring and slow... Wink
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by sem sem wrote:

but both make the forum seem boring and slow... Wink

I totally agree. I would love to see OB buzzing like before.

most new members join because they are pg & then join the due dates & they go pvt & that's it they never or really venture out...or members get poached to join FB groups & don't come back.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 10:12pm
^^ totally agree Jazzy
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
CindyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CindyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2013 at 10:03pm
ohbaby forum has become outdated and needs to move with the times.
i do not like that any random can read the forum, so prefer the prvt groups.
tan73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 4:48pm
I love oh baby. This website has provided me with incredible support through my first pregnancy, subsequent miscarriage, TTC, and now the beginnings of my second pregnancy. The most important thing for me has been the forums. From my experience, it sounds like the oh baby community is the most supportive compared to other baby sites. I appreciate the forums remaining public to some extent. It would be good to be a member in order to see them but I don't like the idea of private forums. My main reason for this is that I was in the "due in March" thread but then lost the baby. However, I had gotten to know so many lovely women in there and when I was ready to come back on, it has been so nice to follow them along with their pregnancies and now births. If this group had been private, I may not have been able to do this. Somehow it has been a healing thing to follow along and see things come full circle. Now I am pregnant again and a little reluctant to join my due in thread at this stage, but I will once I am feeling more confident. It has been nice going in there and getting a feel for the ladies in there and where I fit in, in terms of due dates and things. I would be very disappointed to see this site get too caught up in privacy, passwords,etc, I'd hate to see it die because of that.

2 Angels - Aug '12 & Mar '13 Always in our hearts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>