FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReflux in a toddler??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thetravelbugtribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetravelbugtribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflux in a toddler??
    Posted: 17 March 2013 at 8:29pm
Hey great community.

My 2.5 year old had silent reflux as an infant and we thought she had grown out of it ages ago.

She has had a persistent cough for ages that gets worse when she has a cold etc. We took her to the dr last week (again) and she was prescribed a steroid inhaler as the dr thought it could be asthma.

However, talking to a friend who knows someone who knows someone...I am coming here to try and get straight to that person with experience.

Along with the cough, she has had lots of ear infections (also glue ear and now grommets), she gets irritable and at bedtime (when lying down) often sits up screaming like she is in pain. We keep asking where it hurts but she says she isnt sore, but I have that gut instinct that something isnt right. She also only eats a little at a time, wanders off saying she's had enough, then comes back 5-10 minutes later for more. She doesnt spill or vomit or have difficulty swallowing.

Anyway, I was wondering if she still has reflux and needs either a different medication or a change in diet. I know its my dr I need to see, but as its Sunday night I thought I'd post here and see if the above sounds familiar to anyone. She doesnt appear to have any food allergies/intolerances, but I know these can affect reflux.

Thanks in advance for any comments or ideas.

Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2013 at 11:08pm
Absolutely she could still have reflux. I would put it down to a food? does she have a hoarse voice as well?

I don't think my boy has completely grown out of his reflux. He steals the baby's dummy & I think the sucking helps his throat.

I read somewhere recently that going gluten free can help glue ear.

Reflux certainly can present as chest issues. My boy was initially had so many nebulisers & inhalers and was diagnosed with reactive airways disease, once I got him wheat free, he was already dairy free, his wheezing stopped. Definitely see your Dr, you probably have already, and discuss it. Mind you they probably can't see anything by just looking down her throat.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 9:16pm
Sounds like my girls although they have spilly reflux so its more obvious. Mostly gone in my 3.5yo but she spilt well into her third year. She would also wake screaming and has grommets. The screaming persisted even when ears were clear but we discovered by accident that if she had dairy, especially yoghurt, in the evenings se woke screaming 5 or so times a night. Without it, she slept through. We keep her low dairy and no yoghurt after lunchtime now and she is happy. I can only conclude the dairy was triggering her reflux all night (she had silent as well as spilly so it wasn't always obvious especially on the dark in the middle of the night). She was about 2.3 when we figured that out.
My second is kept low dairy after lunchtime too and seems to mostly be ok. Much less spilly than her sister was at 20 months.
Jenny201028 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny201028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2016 at 9:09am
Babies magic tea is an organic and best way to settle a reflux baby.
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2016 at 10:17am
Sounds a lot like what my little girl use to go through. She ended up having her tonsils out. The reflux caused infections all the time. Even after outgrowing it she will have flare ups when not well and even when she was teething.
I have heard cutting dairy out helps.
We saw a paediatric ENT and she was fantastic. She told us straight away that silent reflux was the root of all problems.

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2016 at 10:19am
Oh and when old enough she to would say she wasn't in pain but she was. She would just be beside herself and want to be held but then would push away. It's horrible to see them like that. Go with your gut.

Jenny201028 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny201028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 5:47am
Babies magic tea is all natural home remedy to deal with reflux and other tummy issues in infants, toddlers and adults alike.
 Post Reply Post Reply