FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat do/don’t you need?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 1:18pm
exersaucer was brilliant for us too. we got ours from trademe. $50 as opposed to the $200 they were in the shop.
Sponsored Links

MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 1:43pm
From our experience this is what I'd recommend

* Cot from beginning, We had a bassinette but bnecause we had a nearly 5kg baby she was far too heavy for the bassinette (As they usually only go to 5 or 6kg).
We have a cheap cot from the warehouse which ahs a bassinette level and lower level, but the ones that turn into a first bed are definatly well worht a look at, even though they are a little pricey, but they are definatly worth it.

* With clothes get more 000's rather than 0000's as most babies don't really fit the 0000's for very long (or fit them at all), you can't go past stretch n grows and bodysuits (singlet/shortsleeve/longsleeve).

* Sleeping bag, we jsut cant live with out ours, we had so many problems with Haleigh waking in the night, till we tried a sleeping bag, and she started sleepingthrough the night again, they good for babies who kick blankets off, you can also get ones for in the stroller, we also have one of those and they are great.

* With prams, if you do alot of walking get a good quality pram, as not all prams are designed for walking as we found out. If you are going ot spend more time in the car with bubs, then you only really need one that folds down flat and easy, for eg a 4 wheel stroller or light 3wheeler.

* Carseats whether you get capsule or reversable try get rear facing up to 13kg or more, just incase, and if you get a reversable get one with a high back, we didnt know this when we purchased ours and HAleigh was the 9kg limit at 5.5months and is nearly too tall for hers and shes only 14months.

* Bouncinette we found totally worth while, we had one with a sothing vibration and a toybar, HAleigh just loved it.

* babygym, we first just used our clotheshorse and hung toys from it (our midwife suggested it) then my mum got us a mat with an arch and a few toys from flybuys and it was awesome (although she started crawling a month later lol)

* a guard for any heaters/ fire etc, and saftey latches plug inserts etc, they are handy to get now and have them installed before bubs is getting into things to get used to them.

* Aqueous cream, great as a soapless wash in the bath, for any dry/itchy skin or jsut all over moisturiser and on nappy rash, I use it and use it on my girl, we get it for $8 on perscription from doc or $13 from pharmacy without perscription, and it comes in a huge tub

* Benthopan (sp) for really bad nappy rash we buy the blue one its antiseptic, it cost us $13 for the small tube which we jsut ran out off but have had it for over 4 months, (HAleigh gets it bad when teething)

* Bonjela, teething bars (flat ones), muslin cloth all great to have on ahnd for teething.

We were on a very tight budget when we had Haleigh, so most our stuff we borrowed/ got cheaply or was given to us the carseat was the ultimate exception we spent over $400 on that because taht was our main priority.
You'll be amazed at what people buy oyu for baby once bubs is born, All the best
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 1:48pm
Very thorough Haleighsmum! I agree with you on the carseat thing - Maya was too tall for her 0-4 carseat by 18 mths.

And also with the clothes. The twins were on the small side (OK so not small for twins or 37 weekers, but small compared to teh average singleton) and they went straight into 000, I only bought a couple of 0000 things and they ahd outgrown them by 4 weeks. The 000's were on the big side to start with but not TOO big.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:00pm
hehe yeah I know, I just dont want any other first itme paretns go throguh the hassle we did, as noone told us any of this, becuase all my friends had babies under 8lb so they didnt know what it was like to ahve a nearly 10lb bub.
yeah 000 were a little big on Haleigh for around 2wks then she filled out in them.
we are looking at those new safensound booster seats that have the 5point ahrness in them to put Haleigh in instead of buying a whole new carseat for her, but we are trying ot hold off for as long as possible.
Not sure what we'll do with the next one though, might just put it in HAleighs carseat for a while then buy a new one?? HAven't really thought about it.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:15pm
We put Maya into an Evenflo Apollo on her second birthday. It has a removable 5 point harness and can take up to 36kg. You are supposed to use the harness until they are 18kg and then remove the harness and just use a normal seatbelt. But Maya is 18.5kg and still fits the harness so I've left it on for now coz I figure it's safer.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:17pm
ooo how much was that? and where did you get it from?
I want her to stay in a harness for as long as I possibly can, so I thoguht these harness booster seats were great idea :)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:27pm
$199 from the Baby Factory. They can go in them from 9kg. Only downside if you are putting a younger bubs in it is that the wings on the side aren't very big so it's not as comfy to sleep in as the 0-4 ones. Wasn't an issue with Maya coz by 2 she hardly fell asleep in the car very often.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:35pm
Haleigh sleeps in the car, but we will try keep her in her carseat till as close ot 2, shes 14months now.
but shes also 13kg lol
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:52pm
I just wanted to add, taine was just under 7pounds and quitre "condensed". he didn't fit his 000 at all! so we went and bought him a few outfits when he was a day old - no hassles. just a reminder that little clothes can be bought on the day!

My nephew was quite big born and his little Peter Rabbit outift that was ought for him to wear home from the hospital didn't fit at all. they just put on the top part and put a blanket over the bottom part- voila - cuttie pie baby in the pics anyway!@
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 3:53pm
Thought of some more stuff that was great:
* big muslin cloths (I got a 4 pack from Farmers for $15, they are the size of cloth nappies and 3 layers I think) They are great for drying bubs after a bath cos they are super soft and dry in a flash.

* either big pieces of cotton for wraps or investing in one of those special wrap things that is shaped and has velcro (sorry no idea what they are called) Most babies love being wrapped and will sleep better so they dont thrash around and wake themselves up.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 6:19pm
muslin is also really good as a wrap for summer time,
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 9:35pm

OK you've got me started on the wraps issue... I'm such a wrap-snob!!  I found muslin had no stretch to it, and Ella is most comfy in a wrap with some give in the fabric (she also doesn't houdini out of stretchy ones as often).  It's a right mission finding 100% cotton wraps that stretch - cotton waffle ones do, but they're a little warm for summer.  And all the wraps in the shops are too small to last long.  In the end I spent way too much per metre on 100% cotton stretch t-shirt like fabric (thin), to make decent wraps that work a treat.  Bertini make some like these, but I bought the last pack in Palmy for now!  If you're making them, just overlock the hem rather than fold & hem it so it doesn't leave bulky ridges that'll be uncomfy when bubs lies on them (keeping baby awake for longer). 

I have about 30 facecloths for Ella's bum at nappy-change time (best to get thin towelling ones so they get into those little crevases).  I don't use baby oil at all, but Bepanthen, J&J shampoo and a baby body wash are essentials in our house. 

I got tripped up on buying too many nappies in newborn-size.  Next time I'll get 10 packs and no more!  Get a few different brands though, to see what works best on your child (Huggies are the bomb for Ella).  Our playmat gets used every day (can get one just about for free with the Huggies promotion too, and it's awesome).  We have 10 cloth nappies in circulation for Ella's many, many messes, and use a lot of bibs.  Ones that velcro up at the side of the baby's neck are the easiest to put on (from T&T).  And like everyone else said, onesie T's that dome under the nappy are essential (envelope necks are easier for me than Pumpkin Patch ones that dome up).  And PP socks are the only ones that stay on.  Gowns make nappy-changing easier, especially at night (2 for $12 at Baby City).  Booties are useless in my books!  We got a beastly Kingston Portacot and it's blimmin heavy.  I once used a Phil & Ted's one and that looked far more portable (freakin expensive though).  A manual breast pump works fine for me because I only use it occasionally.  And buy nipple shields before you find out if you need them or not!!!  Could be a life-saver.  The $5 ones from The Baby Factory work just fine.  Oh - and we really needed our digital thermometer. 

Andie
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 1:15pm
Socks for when they start crawling they get so filthy and seem to disappear so gets lots the same colour.

I loved the toweling bath seat thing we still use it to wash jacks hair and is great cos Jack can sit on it without slipping over.

Matress protector and a few sets of cot sheets because they can spew and poo a bit lol.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 1:29pm
Thermometers are great! Personally I prefer booties to socks because I find they stay on better. And I was given heaps and heaps of booties, something about slightly older women + someone having a baby = cluck cluck booties!!

One thing I don't like is bibs that go on like a t-shirt and don't have dome/velcro/tie openings. Once the food gets started, it makes for a very messy face once the bib has to be pulled back over. In the same way, newborn clothes with easy removability and nappy-access are sooooo good for those power-poos!
Peace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 9:10pm
What do/don’t you need? (The Sara Version!)

Don't needs:

Sangenic nappy bin - I was in dire need of one of these when I was pregnant. I was absolutely convinced that I had to have one. Hubby's work mates all chipped in and bought one for me... What a waste. The dang thing stiinks! I would have been happier with a pedal bin and a large supply of blue plastic bags.

Booties - If you are going to buy baby socks, there is no point in having them.

Bassinette - It has been said once and a million times on this thread. I was a believer. My baby needed to be snuggled and cosy, the weight and length went up to about 4 or 5 months and it was CUTE. Olivia was much more settled in her cot (which didn't ricket like the bassinette).

Do need's:

$100 in your bank account or sock drawer if any extra added cost pops up. My friend gave me this tip. She wasn't sure if she would be able to breast feed or what sex her baby was and it wasn't needed so she put it in savings for him when he becomes a big boy.

Bath/change table - I was a cesarean girl and they were both a HUGE life saver when joined together.

A saftey kit - You can get a saftey 1st kit with thermometre, medicine dropper, medicine measurer, nasal asparater and nail clippers from the Baby Factory. I use mine every week and it has great little instruction pamphlet in it.

Clothes - 3 skinny singlets, 3 dome singlets, 3 wool singlets! All a must have if you are having a winter baby.

Bibs - they fricken cost they earth though.

Sprott Mattress cover - no baby has ever died of cot death on a Dr Sprott mattress cover. I am so down with that!

A pushchair - that is not only a reliable brand but has some sort of hydrolics or shocks on it by the wheels like the Mountain Buggy has. I made the mistake of getting Mothercare because it was quite roomy!

Bouncinette - worth its weigh in gold *jiggle* *jiggle*

Toys - Exersaucer and baby gym. Olivia has got endless entertainment out of hers and Olivia's Mummy is ever grateful!

A working camera - self explainitory.

Karicare barrier and nappy rash cream - one for the butt and one for the head. I got 1 of the nappy rash cream and it is the schiznit, great for cradle cap! As for the barrier cream it is good for those first few weeks and also as a lubricant for constipated bottoms!

There are a gazillion other things of do's and don't needs that have already been stated... thought I would add my 5c worth!
DD1 May 2006
DD2 March 2011
DD3 August 2012
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2006 at 5:08pm
I find anything wollen is a waste of time cos its such a hassle to wash. Anything that needs a delicate wash or ironing doesn't get used by us
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2006 at 7:26pm
Yep same here Just saw the post above about matress protectors.... it's best to have two because you then always have a clean one handy for when the other needs changing.

Don't forget hats... for warmth and/or sun protection.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2006 at 8:16pm
I am so in love with my digital. Then i don't have to pay to get the endless photos of the top of Jake's head, and the blurry ones of taine developed...eyt still can't bring myself to delete them.
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2006 at 6:54am
I am going to add a mummy pamper thing in here - cause i note you live on a farm etc - so make sure you have something in place for yourself such as a magazine subscription etc (use flybuys if need be) cause you may not be able to afford it once bubs comes but will give you something to sit down with for a cuppa once in a while! We have also stockpiled some dvds - bought while cheap and not watching yet - waiting til bubs here. I can watch and if i dont get through one then at least i can watch later.
It is important that you pamper yourself too - even with those little treats you like now but may miss later on. maybe even some nice coffee etc that is a bitmore expensive etc...put stuff away now while you can ready!

BTW as a nanny my kids loved those exersaucers - they were awesome! We had a diaper genie too and loved it - no stink, and put it out for trash every two weeks (our collections day in states) but not sure if sangenic is the same (altho they say it is?)
For me - I have bought up big on muslin wraps - summer baby!
All the best!
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2006 at 9:06am
Yeah, gotta love the digital camera as a 'baby essential' - it SO is!  About the mattress protectors, I bought 4 of the "baby First' brand, they're kinda fluffy on both sides but must have something plasticy in the middle, as they're totally leak-proof.  Problem is, it's like sleeping on a waterproof sheet under your bedding - even with a sheet and 2 cotton blankets between Ella and the mattress protector, Ella still got all sweaty and clammy on it.  I've gone for wool now with no plastic in sight - she's heaps more comfy. 
Andie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>