FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat do/don’t you need?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
cat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do/don’t you need?
    Posted: 04 December 2006 at 9:17am
Hi all

I'm now in the process of starting to think about buying stuff for the baby. I'm a little tired of hearing about what you must have and then hearing other people's contradicting advice - it gets very confusing. We are on quite a tight budget too so can't afford new everything.

I'd love people to list things they were told that they would definitely need and never used. Or things that people found absolutely invaluable. Or things that people bought loads of and only used a small amount of etc etc.

Some info about what we are hoping:
I'm planning on breastfeeding, would love to get baby into the cot as early as possible, we will be going away to stay with friends for the odd night here and there, we will be living on a lifestyle block and will want to walk the dog with baby in a buggy type thing/backpack, not sure whether to go disposable or washable nappies (though we will only have a large rainwater tank for water so it may not be practical to have to wash large numbers of nappies - so probably disposable).

Any help would be great!

Cat
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 9:19am
I had Ella in a cot from the day she came home. I had a safety sleep in her cot to stop her moving about.

www.babycity.co.nz have a list of stuff they recommend but u dont have to have it all
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 9:48am
Well if you are going to stay overnight then you will need a portacot. If you get one with a bassinet then you can use that at home if you didn't wanna put bubs staright into the cot. One useless thing that I bought and tried once and never used again is those towelling hammocky things that baby lies on in the bath. It was useless and Ashleigh's head was still in the water. I have since bought a plastic layback thing and it is wonderful! Oh and you probably don't really need a baby bath as they only fit in them for such a short amount of time!
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 10:19am
Things I have found invaluable...

Our Mountain Buggy...we use it so much I couldn't be without it. It is so worth investing in a decent buggy especially if you plan on doing lots of walking and not all of it on concrete! (it was a dream on the beach the other day!!)

We got a Touchwood cot, main thing is to get something well made and long lasting that has a bassinet level I feel. Plus ours has the added advantage of being a first bed so it will last longer.

Portacot...we have it permantly set up in our living room, gives Maddie somewhere safe to play if I have stuff to do, or have a snooze, plus we can take it away with us if need be.

Good supportive bouncer...Maddie loves hers!! We ended up with a basic one that has support for her butt as well, she wasn't so keen on the ones where they lie in it and thier feet dangle (like the old crochet ones)

You can never have too many bibs or all in ones!

I think it goes without saying that I am a huge advocate of cloth nappies, apart from the fact they are better for the environment they are heaps better for the wallet! (unless you're like me and buy lots of cute ones! ) I'm sure there would be options for using them without trucking through the water. I'm sure some of the TNN girls could point you in the right direction or aimeejoy, nikkiwhyte or other clothies might have some advice. (we have a front loader so I'm not much help!)

I think those are the basics for us. Hope that helps a little.

jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 10:57am
Just off the top of my very tired head... lots of singlets (with the dome snaps to fasten under crotch), lots of stretch n grows, and lots of bibs !
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 11:05am
I think there is a post you might find helpful as well, top 5 things you couldn't do without under the general section. It is saved to my favourites at home so will bump it for you tonight.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 11:48am
I would choose a baby backpack OR stroller to start with. It mostly depends on the terrain but a stroller will last you longer (those babies get heavy!). You can easily pick up strollers in second hand shops and if you wanted to just go with a backpack for starters, I think they are cheaper.

You don't need a bassinette, just put bubba straight into a cot from when you are out of the hospital. It means you probably won't be able to have Baby right beside you in your bedroom but they only fit bassinettes for about 6 weeks anyway.

Start with disposable nappies and make a more long-term decision after about 3 months. That will give you time to settle in before having to keep up with washing and working out what types of clothies to buy if you want to go that way.

If you can hook into a family who have recently had their last baby, you will be able to pick up a lot of clothes from them. Get a friend to organise a baby shower for you at about the 8 month pregnant mark and you will get a lot of stuff from there. People love buying stuff for babies!

Don't buy any toys until after you've had baby. You will probably get given some but you can work out what you need/want after s/he's born.

There is another thread similar to this in the Buy & Exchange section, started by Vix, I will bump it for you.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 12:07pm
Things I found useless

baby lotion - Jake's skin was beautiful and never needed it, and Taine had some dry skin, but most of the lotions were highly perfumed and irritated it. I ended up just going to a chemist and asking what they recommended.

invaluable

baby massage oil - i was given some with Taine as a gift and it is brilliant. Both boys love it. I give them a mini rub down after their baths and they are really giggly and cute.    I recommend it!

watch for:
does you pushchair have or is able to support a toddler seat? It's a good thing to think of should you want to have more kids before your oldest is hitting three-ish, specially if you are going to want to walk. Also, you MUST check that the stroller fits in your car boot!

Baby carriers that support the neck. mine didn't and poor babies head flopped around. i ended up having to support it with my hands - kinda defeats the purpose!

we never had either boy in a bassinette and they were fine.

can't remember much else. probably should as my SIL is having a bubba and wants to know the same info!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 2:31pm
Never had a basinette, all three of my girls came home straight into a cot, but I wouldn't be without their safety sleeps (and they won't sleep without them now).

Bought a flash change table with a bath in it. Loving the change table, and all the pockets, shelves etc. but the bath is a big waste of time - have never been able to figure out how to get it to drain properly when it is in the change table stand so mainly use it on the kitchen bench instead.

Haven't used any lotions and potions so far except the freebie samples of barrier cream, a little bit of Huggies sensitive bath liquid and some Bubbaloo pawpaw ointment as the twins both have exczema (already!). Still have the full bottle of baby lotion I bought when I had Maya nearly 4 years ago, same goes for the J an J baby shampoo.

Soft towels are nice for when they have their bath, but baby towels are dearer than normal towels and some of them are just as soft.

Lots and lots of muslin cloths. I use colored ones for wrapping and white ones for putting down on the change table, playmat, bouncinette etc. to mop up spills and save me washing the covers every 5 minutes.

Ad we use cloth flats with some fancy overnaps I bought, and only do one extra load of wash a day for the nappies, often I throw the baby clothes in the machine with the nappies (I soak them in Napisan overnight so they are sterile).
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 2:33pm
Oh and our bouncinettes have been a Godsend. We have Fisher Price Linkadoos Infant to Toddler rockers, were around $70 at Kmart but they can convert to a toddler rocker that can take up to 18kg, and lie back flat enough for a newborn as well. I feed the girls in them so I can feed them both together, and in the evenings they catnap in them (they vibrate as well).

And I would love to have a baby sling, they look so practical especially when bubs is grumpy, but we have a logistical problem - can't put both babies in one at the same time!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 5:14pm
I didn't have a bouncinette for my first but did for my second - it was good for providing a true personal space barrier in the older child's mind but also because #2 had reflux.

You won't need a baby bath and a change table is not necessary either. I ended up giving mine away. You also don't need a sheepskin, they're jolly hard to wash anyway!
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 8:52pm
Curash powder I have found invaluable especially in that first 3 months while their bottom skin is hardening up a bit. You dont need a lot, just dab it with your finger in the cracks of the legs and in the bottom crack too - its amazing!

I found I didn't have enough face clothes or towels, I would recommend having about 5 of each. The towels with the hoods are fantastic.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 8:54pm
I used Curash with Maya too, great when using cloth flats as they help keep bubs drier.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 8:27am
Curash is great, I got my last lot via a bounty pack

Am about to rip up an "old" towel for more face cloths, so much cheaper and they're just for (in my case) wiping the girls' faces after meals.
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 9:12am
Baby bath, Baby pack, Bassinette and a change table were all things I could have done without easily.

Bouncinette, Breast feeding pillow, Portacot, Steriliser and a baby capsule were all worth their weight in gold!

Ooo and you can never have too many bibs, cloth nappies, muslins or singlets!
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

rug_nz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rug_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 10:06am
Conflicting info again but after telling DW we wont need a change table she finaly talked me into it, Thank god she did, I use it bout 3-4 times a day, we both don't have the best backs and it would kill mine if I had to change her on a bed or floor.
Don't even bother looking at front packs we got given one and have never used it, even gave it to my sis to try out she sent it back a week later.
Look out! It's a man.
SAHD

Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 10:15am
I just put the padded change mat thing on top of her draws! When she got big enough to roll I wouldn't have wanted her up high anyway- even if it was a proper table so just moved the mat to the floor.
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 10:20am
We had a front pack and hardly used it, always put her in the pram. I would rather have had a sling for a newborn. We managed fine without a change table, probably would have been "nice" to have one, but if moneys an issue its defintiely not essential. Same witha bassinett - we have a family one but only used it for about 2 months. I wouldnt worry about a breast pump, bttles, steriliser etc until bubs is here and you know whether you are going to bf or not, and how it is going. For a baby bath we just had one of those big party bucket things (that you put ice and you drinks in!) from the Warehouse - was $5 and was just easier at the start than having this tiny baby in big bath. Now its a washing basket!

I am a cloth nappy user too, if you are short on money they are definitely the way to go. Initially I just used a mix of cloth flats (old fashioned kind) with covers, a few modern cloth naps and disposables, then went full time Fuzzi Bunz. There are a couple of options for people on tank water - wither have enough nappies so you only need to wash every 2-3 days, or instead of using washing machine soak all naps in bucket as they get used then just rinse and spin in machine so using less water.

Lots of soft flannels - cheap packs from the Warehouse - make excellent bum wipes instead of disposable ones which can cause a lot of babys to get rashes. Also you dnt need a lot of lotions and bath washes etc - we have only just started putting anything in Hannahs bath at one year!

Wow, that is long...
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 10:47am
We're Fuzzibunz users too.
We bought heaps of smalls (probably too many if I'm honest) and Caitlin was in them from birth and we love them! They certainly an investment rather than a cost (if that makes sense) and if you look after them they'll last bubs #2 too!

As for using too much water etc washing them - you'll know with a newborn that the washing machine is on 24/7 anyways. The way I looked at that was you either buy HEAPS of clothes or just buy what you need and wash daily (or every other day) and spend then money on water. All works out the same in my eyes.

Also, face cloths are great on sensitive bums to use instead of wipes (cheaper too).

If you buy singlets, make sure you get the ones with domes underneath as the normal ones just ride up around their armpits (especially when you're winding them!)
Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 11:39am
We found the changetable with the bath to be fantastic - it had a hose that it drained out from. He grew out of it quickly though, but was great while it lasted. Also, and this is a bit of a luxury, but the best thing we've bought is the Exersaucer. Absolutely wonderful, and Joshie just loves playing in it. He has excellent leg and upper body strength now, and I think being upright in the saucer really helped.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>