FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreast pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breast pump
    Posted: 04 December 2006 at 3:13pm
I know this question has been asked before on here, but I was after a reccommendation for a good manual (probably) breast pump. I intend to fully breast feed for as long as I am able, but wondered about whether it was worth getting a pump now or waiting to see how things pan out? I would probably only use it to relieve engorgment or any other reason a novice can't think of, hence manual.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 3:19pm
I didnt think I would use one but was lent one by a friend.   My midwife said not to use it to relieve engorgement cos it just stimulates your breast to produce more milk,..so can infact make the problem worse. I just jump in the shower and it just floods out by itself after a few mins in the hot water!
I have begun expressing occasionally tho (after a feed) so that I have a few feeds worth in the freezer ( lasts 3 months in there)so DH can feed bubs. He really enjoyed this- tried for the first time last week,..and when my parents came down to stay for the weekend we were able to go on a "date" without me having to worry about Isla screaming for a feed while I tried to rush home. I wouldnt have gone out if there wasnt breastmilk ready that Mum could give her.
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 3:40pm
i have an avent isis pump and its really good. easy to use and the avent bottles attach to the bottom.

EthansMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EthansMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 4:31pm
Yep I also have the Avent Isis pump. I got really bad cracked nipples in the first six weeks and i was in agony feeding so I had to express of that side. I don't use mine that often but I do think having one on hand is a really good idea.

** MUM TO **
Ethan     29/08/2006
Brooke   22/09/2008
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 4:42pm
I'm TERRIFIED of breastfeeding. I really would like to be able to do it, but I have the most sensitive nipples in the world. Before I was pregnant they were sensitive for usually three weeks out of four, and now that I'm pregnant, they just cannot be touched. Not even by me!

Does having really really sensitive nipples make for harder breastfeeding? I'm a wuss.
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 4:43pm
sorry to hog forum but when did you offr expressed milk in a bottle.Rhyley still mucks about for about 5 mins (better than 15 min what it was) so don't want to create nipple confusion.
I haven't used mine but i have the avent one too, friends have had them and say its good.
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 5:18pm
Claire, I wouldn't get a breast pump until after baby is born. At that point you can make decisions about when you plan to express and how long for etc. I've never had a breast pump but I did use to express milk by hand for Hannah, for one morning a week, until she was around 6mos. It's not as easy as the pump but I didn't think getting a pump was worth it for that.

I personally found expressing and freezing and heating a whole lot of bother so never have with Briona.

Ann - I started Hannah on expressed milk at 2 weeks old, for one feed a day. She didn't have nipple confusion but by a couple of months old had clear preference for the "real" one lol
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 5:20pm
I've got the Avent Isis too. It's great!
Eomachine, my nipples were supersensitive too. I found that during pregnancy I couldn't even have them under the shower, they were that sensitive.
It is normal for breastfeeding to be sore for the first 4 weeks or so. (not really sore, as that can be indicative of poor latching or thrush or infection) The first few feeds for me were teeth gritting, toe curling sensitivity but it became easier after that, and really easy once I got it established. I used purelan cream on my nipples after every feed and have been successfully feeding my son for nearly 4 months now.
Get your Midwife to give you lots of help with latching etc at your post-natal visits. Good luck!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 7:13pm
Thanks for that, I don't intend to return to work while I am exclusively feeding, actually don't really intend to return to work fullstop. So really wanted to have something just in case, but I wasn't really sure what was just in case, so it's been helpful having lots of suggestions, I know now it won't be any help with engorgement, so glad to find that out before I made matters worse.
Thanks everyone for their advice, I think this may well be something I get if and when I need it, manual expressing hadn't really crossed my mind so it might be time to give that some thought too (thanks Teresa)
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 8:50pm
Claire... yeah, just to back up hand expressing. I actually found that heeeeaps easier than using a breast pump. I had an Avent Isis manual pump, and while it was ok as far as breast pumps go, it is hard to concentrate on thinking about your baby when you are trying to co-ordinate hand pumping and keeping the sucky bit stuck to your breast

So I'd see how you go with hand and then if that isn't working, start looking into other options.

P.S. I did get broken blood vessels on my boob one time from trying to hand express when there wasn't a whole lotta milk coming... that was bliming painful... so I can see the need for a pump at times
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 8:58pm
I've never had to think about my babies when expressing - my milk just lets down all by itself. But then I am a pretty good cow, expressing waaaaay more than even my two babies can guzzle.

I'm using the Avent Isis and finding it better than the electric one I hired. The electric one was good for bringing my milk in but the manual Isis seems to be much faster - I can express 180ml in 10 minutes but it takes 20 on the electric pump.

I second the don't buy one til bubs is born tho. I borrowed an Isis off my midwife when I had Maya for the first month and it was so good that I went out and bought one but it turned out Miss Maya wouldn't take a bottle so I had tons of expressed milk that I ended up chucking and in the end the pump sat in a box until i had the twins. And now it doesn't know what hit it - it's getting so much use!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 8:31am
Wanna have twins Claire?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 9:10am
Er not this time. Sorry Emma. Might stick to just the one first time round
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 1:51pm
I had an avent Isis pump it was excellant.
I got very bad mastitis and was in serious pain so it was nice and gentle on my while I was expressing milk for bubs, I used mine for 6wks.
It was hand actioned, and came with 2 bottles, and teats.
I will be using it again with this baby, it was that good.
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 1:56pm
Renee I have sensitive nipples too, and mine are also flat (well more inverted) so breastfeeding was painful for me until HAleigh had drawn out the nipple, I used breast sheilds which helped protect them, I only started expressing because when I got mastitis I bled, and the breast pump really helped out, it wasnt as painful as Haleigh.
But in saying that, I have a friend who had the same thing happen to her what happened to me and she went straight back to breastfeeding after 4wks of expressing and is still doing it a year later, it jsut takes your body a bit to get used too, Im just a sook hehe.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:16pm
Hehe Claire are you sure - I'm thinking of selling one or both of mine on Trade Me...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:36pm
I have a pigeon electric and it was pretty good. only problem i had was not reading the instructions properly (i have the japanese one) and nearly mangling myself in the process. not pretty! but loads of milk. I used mine a few times, but in the end, I didn't really need it. I'm giving mine to my sil. You also may need ot think about gertting a microwave streiliser for your pump.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:40pm
Yep, I put my microwave steriliser thru about 6 cycles a day with having to sterilise the pump, bottles etc. Best $40 I ever spent just about.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:52pm
I just used milton sterilising tablets for mine,and scrubbed mine thoroughly.
I boiled it once a week as sometimes thew tablets leave a residue on it.
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 9:52pm

The Avent Isis manual pump works really well for me.  I express occasionally, just so there's a few reserves in the freezer for hubby to give Ella should she need an unexpected feed and I'm out (it happens!). 

eomachine - if you buy some nipple shields and Purelan cream before bubs is born, that could save you a fair bit of discomfort.  Pack them in your hospital bag even.  They both really helped me in the early days, and after a couple of weeks of breastfeeding (using Purelan after EVERY feed and the shields only when I was too sore to feed without them), my nipples were thoroughly conditioned and could handle whatever Ella threw at me! 

Andie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>