FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHigh chair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High chair?
    Posted: 06 December 2006 at 8:11pm
Ok, so we've decided to "invest" in a high chair for feeding Erin her solids etc, does anyone have any recommendations / advice as to which brand / style they prefer ? TIA !
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 8:13pm
we've got a...pegperego. hmm, never heard of them! anyway, it has seatbelts that can come right off - i throw them in the washing machine - very handy. the cover comes right off too. Watch for small grooves as food gets stuck in places like that. i have to use a skewer to get into mine.

Some of the wooden models seem to be quite slippery, especially for those not completely competent at sitting by themselves.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 8:24pm
We've got a Baby First (? I think that's the brand) - you'll see on Friday anyway....tip back seat to 3 different postions, adjustable height...yet to test it but it seems pretty good! (and not to pricey either).

jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 8:32pm
How many 'points' has it got on the straps? Is it just around the waist? How much $$ and where from? (Don't worry folks, I annoy poor Paws like this ALL the time... the perils of living on the North Shore in Auckland ).

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 8:36pm
Standard 5 point harness, I want to say around $130/$140 I think...and from Mama Mia's....where else??

Apparently they also sell them in the warehouse though the regular price was a little higher.

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 8:39pm
Oh and yes....it's Baby First.

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 9:11pm
Check how far the tray can squash in to Erin's belly... I bought a lovely one from the Baby Factory for about $200 but had to return it as there was about a 20cm gap between Hannah and the start of the tray... didn't help that she was a "tucker" and used to deposit little bits of food under the tray. Grrr.

Height adjustable is good if you want to be pushing Erin up to the dining table when she gets a bit bigger, but I wouldn't personally bother with the reclining feature at her age. Also castor wheels are a huge help.

I have an errrrmmmmm... Edinburgh chair from the Baby Factory...? It has done me brilliantly! Even with Hannah bouncing up and down on the foot rest, it hasn't yet broken! Yay!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 9:12pm
Oh yeah, and 5 point harness is a bit of a must. Well, if you have an escapist it is anyway.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 9:32pm
Funny - my kids were always trying to get IN the high chair rather than out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 9:39pm
Boys
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 10:39pm
the Childcare Arrabella from the baby factory about $130 5 point harness height adjustable. Only thing would that the tray fit's a little far back. Oh yeah and in lay's down slightly I have even mananges to sit Mikey in is easy(not for very long of course) you really want one that only requires one had to place and remove the tray.
Deborah Mum to:

MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 6:49am
We were always told that there was no point in a highchair, Im so glad we didnt listen to that advice, when Haleigh was 8 months old we bought a highchair from babyfactory for $129 it one of those highchairs that has different levels, and the seat also reclines aswell (not that Ive really seen any use in teh recliner yet lol).
When we made it up we didnt put the wheels on it (DF is paranoid about wheels lol) but even so its still very easily moved around the house.
It is a bit bulky as it doesnt fold down flat like the cheaper highchairs, but its got a proper 5 point harness which is what got us to buy it.
We love it, and we can use it as a first chair at the table to so we're impressed with the purchase
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 6:51am
oh yeah we can also pull the cover and straps off too to wash them, we just put them all in the washing machine.
And Ive put HAleigh on the lower level as even though its a 5point harness she still knows how to escape, she can even escape from the pram and carseat too
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 7:40am
I got mine from baby city and its reclinable, can squish the tray up close, adjustable height, has wheels and is 5 point harness i think i got it when it was on special for $99.95
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 8:03am
Do not get one where you have to lift the tray over the childs' head!! Imagine having all that mess on the tray and having to tip it upside down! Get a removable tray

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 8:09am
oh yes!!! Ours is hnandy also as a first chair...ish thing. we can take off the tray and have it pushed to the table. another handy thing is that the tray can be taken off with one hand.
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 8:09am
We have a Jolly Jumper brand basic highchair from Farmers. I think it cost around $80 full price (we got ours on special). It has a 5 point harness, one-hand tray removal, and the seatcover wipes clean easily. It folds flat (which has been really handy when we go on holiday, and is light enough that Kiya is able to carry it, while still being sturdy enough that we have to lie it on its side to stop Josiah climbing into it all the time!

We don't regret getting a slightly cheaper one, and its been so good that my parents are going to buy one too for when we come to visit!
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 8:12am
We do that too, Liz. Josiah loves being up the table with us
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 8:20am
Thanks for all the advice ladies, now it's just deciding which one to get !

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2006 at 8:36am
We got a "Mothers Choice" blue one from Farmers (as a hand me down). It's ok, but you can't remove the straps to clean them (still a bit EW from the previous user regardless how much cleaner I use ). Personally, I'd ONLY get a 5-point harness one, especially for our little girlies (and a tip, try propping her up using a blanket around her). I think the reclining ones are good because you can get them comfy to eat.
We're looking at buying another one that is a bit better, this is a pain in the A** to clean (lots of little rigdes) so I'm on the lookout for one with removable seat cover and straps that can all go in the wash - that doesn't cost the earth!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>