FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaby Slings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby Slings
    Posted: 07 December 2006 at 9:01pm
Am taking the gremlins to the Baby Factory tomorrow to invest in a baby sling so I can lug at least one of them around like that. I figure it will be good at the airport once we have checked in the buggy, and also at the hospital to help settle Sienna while we wait for surgery. I'll try them on, but just wondering what has worked for other people, and what advice you all have on picking the right one? I had a front pack for Maya that I never used coz it was useless.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2006 at 7:33am
i had a sling that mum got me. it was from guatemala (no she didn't travel all the way there to get it)
it was less like the slings you see around and more like a reeeeally long piece of material that you had to wind around yourself in funny ways and then insert baby (easier said than done). once it was on though it was a lifesaver, it hardly felt like i was carrying him at all even when he started to put on weight at the rate of a baby elephant. and really easy on the back too coz the weight gets distributed evenly across your back and hips.
it was also very secure so i didn't have to worry about holding mikey's head or whether he'd fall out if i moved this way or that, made it so much easier to get the housework done with a grumpy baby.
i don't think you can buy them in conventional stores, i'm not sure but if you're interested i can find out from mum how you can get ahold of one.

Edited by ellabellame

jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2006 at 8:05am
www.littlekiwi-babyslings.co.nz

I have one of those, but we also have a front pack that is REALLY good, and that we found esp. useful in the airport... the only problem is, I can't remember what it's called ! They have them at Baby City, and when I find mine I'll update
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2006 at 8:57am
I just made one! It is a long piece of material but it has two sling rings to tighten and adjust it.. it is similiar to Star Flower slings I actually got the sling rings from her.. I wish I'd made it earlier as it's great to stick Ella in when she runs away from me.. and I can stuff it into my backpack! There are various ways to wear your baby and if you buy one off trademe/in the shops they send you wearing instructions.

Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2006 at 2:45pm

I have a Natures Sway sling that I got from TM for about $50. I think they're around $65 in the shops. It was an absolute godsend when Em was really small, as I could tote her around the shops and she'd fall asleep in it. We didn't use it for a couple of months when she was about 5-8 months old, as her butt was too small to "sit" in it the way they're supposed to, but now that she's bigger she can ride around in it on my hip. She's just like a little monkey, clinging to her mama!

What I like about it is that it's got a padded strap to go over your shoulder, which makes it more comfortable. The material is sturdy and easily washed, and it clips and unclips easily. It's portable -- I can scrunch it down and shove it in my handbag really easily. It's also adjustable, if you're "well endowed" like me and need it to be a bit looser! And we got it in a neutral tan shade, so my DH could also use it.

What I didn't like about it was that there's a lot of fabric to the sling part, and when Em was really small, she could get "lost" in it and I kept having to fold the fabric back to make sure she was okay! But it may just be first-time motherly paranoia... She was always fine! And now that she's bigger, having more fabric is really useful.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2006 at 4:37pm
Thats the one I ended up with Katherine. So far so good, the gremlins have both had a turn crashing out in it during 'witching hour'. STill getting used to getting it on and off and getting them in it, but getting the hang of it.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
 Post Reply Post Reply