FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMountain Buggy or Phil & Teds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Tiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mountain Buggy or Phil & Teds
    Posted: 21 December 2006 at 10:43am
Hello all,

I am going to be a first time mum in April and am totally confused about which buggy to buy.
We have narrowed the search down to a Mountain Buggy or Phil & Teds.
We have tried them both out in the shop and there seems to be little difference between them. DH is keen on the P&T as you can add the toddler seat in case baby no 2 should ever come along, but I am concerned it may not be as cosy as the MB carrycot for a newborn.
Any opinions and general advice would be gratefully received, as we are complete amateurs at tall this!!!

Tigs
Sponsored Links

11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 11:22am
Don't have time to write but, I wis hwe went for a moutain buggy. We have a valco and I hate it.
Deborah Mum to:

Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 11:25am
I havne't had bubs yet, but I LOVE my phil and teds already. As for the bassinet option, we decided to get the cocoon for him so figure that will be just as cosy.

If you think you may have a second, the P&T has a good second child option, and as the shop assistant said to us, accidents do happen!

The reason we decided not to go with MB as hubby took one look at the bassinet option and felt too much weight was over the front wheel. And as much as some people love them, I know a couple of people that didn't like them for older children as they sat far back and couldn't see out so would often get restless or be seen pulling themselves up to see out the side.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 11:45am
GO phil and Teds!!! wooo!, lol. If you have a look there have been a heap of posts on buggies, especially ones about double buggies, in which there is plenty of dicussion on the pros and cons of the phil n teds buggy (mostly by me..lol. )

good luck in your decision
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Millie1976 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 1:21pm
Hey there,

I also have a Phil & Teds and have no complaints whatsoever. It is lightweight and you can also add a toddler seat to it. Hope you find something that you like
Sebastien 2 years old
Olivier 3 3/4 years old
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 1:43pm
I prefer mountian buggy. I personally don't like the double seating arrangements and I'm aware of people have issues with the buggy tipping over if there is a child in the back but not the front. Of course this wouldn't be an issue for you but something to think about. I personally was also not a fan of the open back when it's in it's lie flat mode and a friend of mine found she kept hitting the back of it when walking! (and she is NOT tall by a long shot).

I've personally found our mountian buggy fabulous. We got the carry cot attachement for when Maddie was younger and found in invaluable and convient as we could also use it for a cot when visiting (and still do). It's been easy to use, I've found it light weight, easy to get up and down and very safe and secure. Also last I heard was the Mountian Buggy still out rates all others according the consumer reports.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 2:14pm
Paws is right, consumer said mountain buggy was best, but I know what their criteria and research is like so don't put much in it.

As for the tipping, this was a problem in the previous model, they have now fixed it.

There is a bit you attach to the back so it isn't open on the P&T if the shop doesn't have it out, it does come with it. And so far myself and dh have had no issues with kicking the back of it, in our trials round the shops and dh zooming round the house.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 2:27pm
One thing I'd look for is whether there is any difference with putting it in/out of the car (weight, size, etc) for walking up town. We have a very sturdy buggy but it's such a pain lifting it in and out because it's so heavy and bulky.

We have children 19 months apart (and 17-18mos next gap) so the toddler seat attachment we have is AWESOME! Even 3yo's legs get tired so it's a great option. I would go for that over a newborn attachment as that won't last you for long and if the P&T's needs more padding for a newborn you can just bulk up blankets. Also I find pushchairs really come in handy after the baby gets too heavy to carry around, the first couple of weeks s/he's always feeding anyway so prams really come in handy after the newborn stage has almost passed.
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 2:34pm
I read in WW or was it WD...that a lady was walking on the road with her two kids in a P & T buggy and there was a tyre flying at them from an accident and it hit the buggy...she tought her kids are dead for sure but then she realised that they were totally unharmed and the buggy had a little dent.....

When I have my next bub I am going to invest in a P & T Buggy!

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 2:36pm
That's what we did find with the phil n teds is it folds down nice and flat and doesn't have heaps of levers to make it fold down.. which is good, considering i can never work those things. Another thing is it's good to clean, everything comes off the frame and you can hose it down and chuck it on the line and it dries in no time.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 2:39pm
Btw Tiggy... welcome to OhBaby
Tiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 3:04pm
Wow, thanks everyone for such quick replies!!
And thanks for the welcome, I have been lurking around for a while, but this is my first post!

Tigs
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Sarah Beth Sarah Beth wrote:

Paws is right, consumer said mountain buggy was best, but I know what their criteria and research is like so don't put much in it.

Out of curiousty I'm wondering why? We've always found consumer very reliable and so have my many friends who use it. Now I'm concerned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 3:40pm
Mike used to work for an electronics retailer, they would come in with a checklist and essentially just ask for the information. Bit one was for cordless phones, they rated one the highest, 2 weeks later it was on a quality control check and pulled from the shelf as it didn't work properly, never to be returned again.

Essentially they often don't fully test the product, relying on the information provided by the retailer and manufacturer.

That said, they did say for the pram one they gave different prams to 2 different families (I think it was 2) and asked them to test the ones they were given. I personally feel that a bigger sample would have been better. Their complaint about the P&T was that the lever to colapse it seemed broken (the plastic part was broken partly off from memory), however if you received a pram like that no one would accept it, and it would be returned for a replacement!

Oh and on the P&T, they offer great after sales service, my workmate used hers for 1 year and walked everywhere to the point the tyres were worn out, so she called to to ask where to buy new ones, they sent her a new set free of charge and they arrived the next day!
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 3:47pm
OT, but Paws did you see the consumer report on nappy options and their "research" on cloth nappies?
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 3:50pm
I have just seen how close I am to 1000 posts!!!
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by aimeejoy aimeejoy wrote:

OT, but Paws did you see the consumer report on nappy options and their "research" on cloth nappies?

No...what did it say? (or don't I want to know??)

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 7:40pm
It came out sometime in 2005, and didnt mention modern cloth options - only compared several types of disposables with old fashioned cloth/pins/covers. So not at all well researched - all they needed to do was an internet search for cloth nappies in NZ and they would have had heaps
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 7:46pm
It amazes me how little people seem to know and how the incorrect information is given by places like plunket and many ante-natal classes. *sigh*

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 10:10pm
To be honest i wished i had looked more into prams if i had i would have gotten the phil and teds for the option to add the toddler thingee. Its all good tho if we have another i will get one but could have saved myself alot of hassle by getting it first lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>