FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbreast feeding chair????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Phat_Cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phat_Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: breast feeding chair????
    Posted: 26 December 2006 at 6:55pm

Just wondering who has used one & are they worth the expense? I was looking at the rocking one with stool for $599 at baby city but really cant justify the cost.......

or is a breast pillow (i assume thats what they are called the kidney bean shaped thing) enough? < language=>

Tristen - 24/06/07
Rylan - 11/12/08
Angel Babies -14/08/05 & 21/01/2010
Curtis - 26/02/12
Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 7:05pm
I never bought a special chair, with Maya I just used an extra plump pillow and preferred to feed in this old chair we had with wooden arms which did the trick perfectly. With the twins I put an armchair in their room planning to use it to feed but never did and ended up dragging it back out again coz it was just taking up space. I mostly bottle fed them, but when I did breastfeed I used the tripillow I used to support my belly in bed during pregnancy, and later on one of those horseshoe shaped hard foam pillows which was actually really good, but was given to me. I wouldn't have bothered with one otherwise.

I think it's one of those things that is really individual and you won't really know for sure what you prefer until you try it. My boobs are quite big and point downwards so I never really needed to elevate bubs much, with Maya I stopped using a pillow at about 6 weeks once I got the hang of feeding, and with the twins I was able to feed them without a pillow from day one but used one when I was at home coz it was more comfy.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 7:17pm
I have a "horseshoe" pillow but I have hardly ever used it. A plump pillow is better for me because I'm tallish in the truck and/or small breasted (12B when feeding ).

I personally wouldn't bother with a breastfeeding chair, I just tend to feed where I am. Also when & if another child comes along the older one would probably want to cuddle in next to you from time to time, or at least be close enough for a story, so there goes the chair on a second time around.

If you're really keen, you could always try s/hand e.g. trademe?
ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 8:29am
i never used a special breastfeeding chair but i did have a tri-pillow. even that is probably not necessary(sp?), any plump pillow would do but i loved my tri-pillow.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 12:04pm
i love my pillow too! iw ould recommend a chair with arms though. if you really want a special chair, why not a lazy boy? you can use in the lounge later.
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 1:28pm
I had a good pillow or cushion, and sat on a lazy boy or another chair I had in jJ's room with arms on. When they get bigger, like Liz said, you can just sit on the couch. Personally, I think the chair is a bit of a waste of $, but if you want one, and you like the look, go for it.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 3:50pm
we are having a lazy boy type chair in the nursery (used to be my grandmas) but otherwise plan to use the bed or sofa etc...and have seen some great pillow thingeys in baby factory recently that look like tri pillows but bigger....they would work too...it does seem like a lot of money to spend on a chair!
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 4:54pm
I was bought a really beautiful wooden rocking chair and I attempted to feed him in it once and he smacked his head a few times. Jack is a kicker when feeding so if I'm in a chair he kicks of the sides and takes my boobs with him so I have my feeding couch. I still use my tripillow now and they are also great for bubs learning to sit.
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 5:17pm
I used a tri pillow for Abby and it worked a treat. And you can always use it to read in bed when you are done feeding.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 3:53pm
I never had a "special" chair I just sat were ever. Mainly on my bed with a normal pillow did the trick!

Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2007 at 4:29pm
I used the rocking chair with the footstool in neonatal unit and really have found that I am much more comfortable and supported in a normal chair with a pillow/cushion in my back. I don't use a BF pillow. just kinda wrap Fay around my waist
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2007 at 12:06pm
I used a tri pillow and just sat on the couch - especially handy when she got to be that much bigger. I also used to enjoy sitting in a lazy boy at Mum and Dads but it could be a bit hard to get out of!

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2007 at 1:14pm
The chairs you can't get out of are the BEST... then as soon as you sit down you have to use everyone around you as slaves. I always used to develop the need for a cup of tea as soon as I sat down to feed...
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2007 at 1:31pm
THe middle of the couce with my leg's crossed like you sit on that mat ant school worked for me cause Mikey was a kicker too. Ither wise the lazboy wwith my kleg's that same I coued a a pillow as well Like a Thresa I am Small boobed so I used my legs to support Mikey as well as the pillow bought him up to the right height.
Deborah Mum to:

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2007 at 1:51pm
Ella's another kicker too, so I sit on a couch to feed her - she's a long baby who was soon too long to fit across a chair with arms for a feed.  If the breastfeeding chair had detachable arms it might be worth a look, 'cause I guess you don't know how long your baby will be or whether or not they'll kick as they feed.  Personally I found the couch the easiest, and in the early days a tripillow did the trick. 
Andie
Anna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2007 at 3:23pm
I feed Kaia whereever I happen to be when she hollers but i have found my breastfeeding pillow fantastic! Not sure I'd bother with a special chair for feeding but I did find a wee foot stool using when I was just starting out...
Anna

Phat_Cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phat_Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2007 at 12:17pm

< language=> cool thanks heaps yeah I liked the comfort factor more than the practical factor LOL will just go for the tri pillow & maybe a standard chair as our lounge ones are quite low & have not much side support.

But thanks heaps its great to hear other mums practical advice i never thougt about the kicking thing....

Tristen - 24/06/07
Rylan - 11/12/08
Angel Babies -14/08/05 & 21/01/2010
Curtis - 26/02/12
 Post Reply Post Reply