FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCost of Nappies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cost of Nappies
    Posted: 31 January 2007 at 10:07am
I want to start stocking up on nappies when I do the weekly shop.

My query is, how much is a good price? I don't really know how much a packet of nappies are in the first place, so don't know how good some of the "specials" are. And babywipes too?

Also, should I get a few packets of say Huggies and Treasures? Is one brand better for girls than boys?

Any advice is appreciated!!
Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 10:14am
we have baby wipes on special at our pak n save for $2.69 - i have a feeling that is the normal price though. do be careful about buying really cheap brands as you sometimes end up using a ton for just one change. i found that with the $2 shop ones especially. I use "silks" or "pams" and find them really good. also be aware sometimes babies can have adverse reactions to the chemicals in these. I know my niece couldn't use them and had to use johnson and jhnsons allergenic brand (gave the other packets to me - score!!)
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 10:20am
Huggies nappies are by far the best around $8 is a good on special price for a pack. Kmart and some supermarkets sometimes have the big boxes on special which is a great bargain we only used on of these and two packs of newborn size when James was brand new.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 10:30am

Stocking up is a great idea, but it helps to know what brands work and don't work for your baby, so it's much easier to stock up on things when they're on special once the baby is here (yeah, defeats the purpose, I know).  Lots of people like Huggies nappies (and they're the only brand that properly fit my baby), but which brands fit best will depend on you child's build, which you don't know until after they've arrived.  Huggies & J&J wipes work the best for me, but that said I only use wipes for #2's and use a wet flannel afterwards and for everything else. 

In general , the bigger brand nappies seem to be the most absorbent.  I discovered BabyLove ones from New World though - they're a better price than huggies and absorbent enough.  I'd suggest buying a pack of each brand you want in newborn size and trying them all out, then you can start stocking up on the specials for the brands you know you'll get the best use out of. 

Andie
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 10:39am
Huggies and Treasures aren't better or worse for different genders, it's more about body shape. I used Huggies on my eldest as anything else would give her rashes. My second-eldest could wear either. My third born is very long and slender and can't fit Treasures yet because they fit a slightly wider tummy/hips. All of that is inclined to make me start with Huggies for the first couple of weeks and then try other brands.
Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 11:33am
we stocked up on a fair few nappies (huggies purchasing for $8-9 a pack) but something we have started doing now is buying a foodtown or westfield voucher a week ($10) so these can be used for nappies later on or anything that takes our desire, or with the westfield one clothing, or a treat for mum and dad if needed!
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 12:14pm

Once you know if it is a boy or girl it is so much easier to buy Huggies as after newborn they are made for a boy or girl. My friend called me a snob for only having Andrew in Huggies but once she had a boy she worked out that Huggies really are the best for boys. I started out (this pregnancy) in the early weeks buying newborn nappies. I have Huggies, Treasures Ultra and Giggles. Once I had a small pile of them I moved up to the next size (Infant), started buying Treasures (as they are for both boys and girls) Ultras and Giggles and once I fould out I was having another boy I have been buying Huggies. I won't pay any more than $9 a bag for Huggies, $9 for a bag of Treasures Ultras and $7 a bag for Treasures Giggles (usually only pay $6.50 for a bag in Palmy). I know have quite a large pile of nappies (Stacey will vouch for that she saw them last week) but going down to 1 income is going to be very hard for us (then I remember Family assistance and then I breathe a little better) and I don't want to be buying nappies until he's a bit older. I also have my nappies in the boxes they came in from the supermarket (as I was doing my shopping I would check out the boxes and grab 1 or 2 at each shop and it has made it easier to store them).

As for wipes I have got a few different brands (Huggies, Treasures and Pams) and have been buying them on sale as well. Pams wipes you can only get at Pak'n'Save and New World, but PnS is usually cheaper. $3 is the most i'll pay for them. Treasures $4 is the most I will pay for them and Huggies $9.50 for the bulk pack and $5 for the normal pack. I have only gotten the sensitive Huggies wipes as I only used then with Andrew as a newborn. And then on to Pams and Treasures. If you join the Treasures Club then you can use the points to get their products - if this one goes well with the wipes then I plan on getting a box of them.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 1:37pm
Dare I be cheeky and say that even though it might seem like a huge outlay $$ wise, that cloth would be worth looking into as well IMO... there are lots of different styles, some cheaper than others etc. I know there are a couple of cloth nappy sellers on here too, that's how I got snagged I use cloth wipes now too, basically flannel squares with the edges embroidered to stop fraying, and then just dunk them in a small container with warm water and a bit of tea tree oil...
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 2:18pm
I brought new born nappies and stocked up on them, mainly huggies, treasure ultra are ok but I would say the best by far is huggies. Don't get the normal treasures they are useless and not that much cheaper than huggies on special. Huggies the best price I get them at is $8.99 which they are mostly on special some where, loads of supermarkets to choose from.
Also I brought wayyyyyyyyy too many newborn sizes - it only goes up to 5kgs - which Rhyely was born 4.2kgs so I didn't get thru the nappies before he out grew them - lucky for me had a friend at the local supermarket who exhanged them for the infant size but don't think they would of it I didn't know him (I didn't keep the receipts)
As for wipes huggies pop ups as its good for one hander jobs. Also good but not too expensive so don't have to stock up too much is nappie bags - there about $2 for 50 but I have got some from $2 shop and theres 100 in there, these are also good if you are using cotton when out as its a handy bag to pop them in before you go home. Oh and huggies wipes are between $5-$6 a packet.
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 3:39pm
a good idea is instead of getting baby gear now, buy pak n save vouchers or something and get whatever you need as you need - makes sure you don't get the nappies that are unsuitable.
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 3:58pm
jax i was going to suggest the cloth way too you could buy one a month and if they didn't fit your bubs i'm sure they could be changed for a different size....

as for disposables, with jack we used treasures giggles until he was sleeping through the night and then used huggies at night time. the pams ultimate are also good for nights when they are younger.
the BEST disposable i found for charli was from southern discount baby supplies (www.babysupplies.co.nz) they are called 'tesco' and you get 80 nappies for $22! in my opinion they are better than huggies...yes that's right ladies, better newborn poo-splosions were no match for this nappy! unfortunately, they only have it in newborn sz so after that i'd suggest 'cien' nappies, same price but only 54 (i think) in a pack.
i found buying online in bulk the most affordable way to get nappies. other good brands are sealer and air nappies

there, that's my two cents worth

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 4:02pm
oh and for wipes, we use the pams ones for #2's and cloth wipes for pee

sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 4:12pm
Cool, thanks for all the comments ladies. I'm glad I asked about the price as I almost bought a pack (don't remember what kind?) the other day for $12.00! Eeeekkkk

I think I might do a couple of packets of Huggies when they are on sale.

Buying gift vouchers is a great idea, but I do my groceries on line at Foodtown, so won't really work I don't think!

And as for cloth nappies, I'm going to master the disposable ones before I even contemplate cloth! Would you believe I've only changed ONE nappy so far! Pretty shocking for a 29 year old!!!!!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 5:24pm
$12.00 is pretty standard for a pack of say, Huggies, which are the only ones that didn't leak on Han. On special they are usually $10.99 (sometimes, very rarely, they get lower than that).

Other brands I didn't even both with because of said leakage. (Well, I did, but not enough to remember prices! hehe)

Originally posted by sparkle sparkle wrote:

And as for cloth nappies, I'm going to master the disposable ones before I even contemplate cloth! Would you believe I've only changed ONE nappy so far! Pretty shocking for a 29 year old!!!!!

Modern cloth is just as simple - no pins, no folding... And that's all I'll say - no pressure

Edited by nikkiwhyte
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 5:36pm
With nappies I find that you cnat really find the right nappy till baby arrives.
We bought treasures ultra and huggies when I was pregnant with HAleigh and we preferred the treasures as they fitteed better on her where as the huggies were to narrow. I do recomend though not do a huge spend up on newborn nappies till babies arrived as you never know the weight of baby, we ended up with too many newborn nappies as HAleigh needed to go into the next size up by a week old.
With wipes we use precious or pams, depending which supermarket we got to, although huggies are great.
I agree with Nikki the modern clothes are so simple even DF could use them and he cant use disposables, so at least I know when number 2 arrives he has no excuse not to change a nappy as they are much more simpler than any other nappy, and Ive only played by putting one on a doll.
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 6:00pm
I agree with Nikki and Monique... MCN's are easy peasy, I used to be a bit scared of them too, but it's just as easy if not easier than using sposies.... and I'll zip my trap now too LOL and let you decide

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 6:00pm
I have discovered the pams nappies and the budget nappies they are about $6 a packet and when i was shopping the other day the budget ones were on special for $3 a packet! SCORE! I find them GREAT Better than the babylove ones which we used in australia.
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 6:33pm
Yeah Pams and budget nappies are great.
Pams ultimate are alot like treasures ultra and pams cherish are kinda like giggles in absorbancy.
basics are also good but there sticky tab is like sellotape so you need ot be careful not to let it get in contact with babies skin.
Baby factories ones are pretty good to and cheap.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 7:02pm
Putting on an MCN is no different to a cloth nappy these days though I know what you mean about mastering nappies first. That was my plan but once I switched to cloth I wondered why I had bought disposables!! (plus it was heaps easier have less washing due to leaky nappies! )

jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Paws Paws wrote:

Putting on an MCN is no different to a cloth nappy

I'm guessing you meant "putting on an MCN is no different to a sposie" ... ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>