FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedparenting books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: parenting books
    Posted: 06 February 2007 at 10:17am
Hi everyone

I'm really interested in what parenting books people have read and enjoyed. I've just ordered about 10 from the library so will read and let you know what I think. All own opinion of course - I had the "what do you expect" ones and enjoyed those (apart from a lot of the content being American - and thus not applicable), but my cousin HATED it, said it made her feel paranoid.

anyway, anyone got some good parenting books?
Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 10:26am
I love Dr Christopher Green's Toddler Taming and Beyond Toddlerdom tips. Very practical advice.

Pregnancy wise I loved Dr Miriam Stoppard's New Pregnancy and Birth Book (her Complete Baby and Child Care is pretty good too - I have no idea what edition # they are up to now, but I have an older copy),and Sheila Kitzinger's "Pregnancy and Childbirth" (she tends more towards the whole natural process theory than medical side of things).

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 10:28am
Oh and for anyone with/expecting multiples, Dr Carol Coopers "Twins and Multiple Births" is a great book from conception to adulthood - I have accepted the fact that I will never really nderstand the 'twin thing' my daughters have.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 10:29am
Oh and me again I am officially back from leave on 1 March, so will be back into the monthly book reviews, so let me know if there are any books you want reviewed and I'll check them out! (Any excuse to read )

Edited by Maya
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 10:29am
I love Kaz Cooke's - Up the duff. It has lots of useful info but very amusing to read at the same time.
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 11:24am
I love Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy someone (too lazy to go and look..) and for light humour, I loved Belly Laughs by Jenny Mccarthy Not so much a pregnancy book, but a "hey, I can relate to that, lol!" book. I also have I love you now go to your room by Diane Levy, which I have found great, not so much using it with jake at the mo, although I am about to revisit it, but has been fantastic for my approach with the teenager...
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 12:15pm
One of my votes goes for "Read this book before your kids drive you crazy" by Nigel Latta, really for the toddler age bracket although there are some bits in it for infants which I found useful.
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 3:32pm
I love baby and child by penelope leach everything she says I agree with. Also the no cry sleep solution is great for if you are keen on attachment parenting but don't want to go the whole hog.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 9:25pm
I've got Penelope Leach as well and it's good. In fact I have so many good parenting books you'd think I'd actally be a good parent!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 9:26pm
I like that penelope leach book as well, although my copy is about 97 years old.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 10:22am
I love Sheila Kitzinger's "Pregnancy and Childbirth" too (lots of great info about the whole process, and a more natural approach to birth), and also Kathy Fray's "Oh Baby - birth babies and motherhood uncensored".  Very down to earth and practical without seeming prescriptive or judgemental. 
Andie
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 2:53pm
I found Kathy Fray's book didn't really do it for me, seemed a bit patronising? But that's just me, expert that I am
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Nic01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 3:07pm
I was lent a copy of Miriam Stoppards Essential Guide for First Time Parents which I've found really good - it's more for just the first year though. I've also got Kaz Cooke's Kidwrangling. Like her Up the Duff book it's quite funny but seems to have lots of useful stuff in it. For sleep tips & routines I'm loving Tizzy Hall's book Save Our Sleep.
Mikaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 11:58am
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

I love Kaz Cooke's - Up the duff. It has lots of useful info but very amusing to read at the same time.

I liked this one too, for pregnancy. There's a sequel aimed at parenting called Kidwrangling which I'm reading now and I totally adore it. Kaz is so down to earth and funny.
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 1:07pm
I really want to get hold of Kidwrangling... it seems my style - using humour to avoid going absolutely round the bend!
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 4:04pm
Parenting books....should I have one? I dont have any.... ...so does this make me a bad parent??

jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Roksana Roksana wrote:

Parenting books....should I have one? I dont have any.... ...so does this make me a bad parent??

No, it doesn't make you a bad parent at all Roksana... I guess some of us are just more inclined to read these types of books than others ??
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 5:28pm
We were given a copy of 'What to expect in the first year' when Ella was born. It became our bible! Its really good for all those niggling things that you wonder if you should be panicking about.
We passed it onto some friend when they had their first the next year and they swore by it too!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 7:22pm
I am reading "raising boys" at the moment - quite interesting, espeically as I have never been a little boy myself. When i was pregnant I had visions of sitting with a quiet, sedate child, spending hours making things, painting and such. My friends have those children, and I have the kids who want to go down the slide head first.
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 7:38pm
Celia Lashlie is great! I saw her speak and she was just amazing to listen to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>