FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCariboo Folding Bassinet - comments?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mikaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cariboo Folding Bassinet - comments?
    Posted: 10 March 2007 at 7:36pm
Has anyone owned or used a Cariboo folding bassinet? We're thinking of getting one, partly because the idea of having a bassinet that folds up so we can take it with us if we go away seems to make sense (we drive up north to the PIL's place every second weekend or so), and also I just like the look of them.

But I'm not sure how long babies stay in them for - the website says up to five months but is that realistic? Do they have any particular hazards I need to watch out for? Anything else I should know?
Sponsored Links

jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 10:10pm
I've never used that particular type of bassinette, but Erin was in her cot at three and a half months old - the bassinette just wasn't big enough.
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 10:49pm
You could just get a portacot with the basinette part to it, and use that at home until your baby is big enough for a cot. That way you can take the portacot away easily.. IMO buying a basinette you can only use for a few months is a waste of money - it really depends on the size of your baby as to how long you can use it for, I had a tiny baby and she was only in a basinette for 5 months

sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2007 at 1:16pm
I've got a Star Baby one which is very similar to the Cariboo one. As you know I don't have my baby yet so can't give you any advice on it yet!!

I too liked the look of it and it looks bigger than your average oval shaped ones. My friend is borrowing it at the moment as her daughter got too big for their oval bassinettte. She was born on 16 of Nov, so she's 4 months old now.

We plan on having it in our room for the first few months anyway and I like the idea of not having a big bulky cot in there.

Hope that helps some!
sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2007 at 1:50pm
I just got the matching change table too! Once we get a new camera I'll put a pic in our Aug 07 topic.
luna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 6:52pm
We had a Star Baby one - similar to Cariboo. Amelia was in it until sometime in December - so yes, 5 months or maybe a bit over and she was 8lb 4oz at birth, so no tiny baby.
Selina

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:44pm
I'm also thinking about one too. I like the fact that they can go in the cot too. and yes, they look nice. You can get the bassinet part on trademe in case you havent already found that.
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2007 at 8:14am
i think if your going to get a bassinet you need to get one that holds up to a high weight (just in case), we got one for Haleigh (9lb 13oz at birth) only for her to be to heavy for it within a few weeks after birth, but I think the cariboo's go up to 9kg??
But I have heard excellant things about it which is why we are looking into getting one cause if we go by Haleighs weight number 2 should be able to be in one till he's 5months.
I like the idea of them going into the cot, and the fact they are a little more spacious than a normal bassinet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2007 at 11:36am
Just saw an advert for the cariboo ones and it seems that Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck, Brad and Angelina, and Tom and Katie all use them...not bad for a NZ made product
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2007 at 8:59am
yeah alot of NZ made products are widely used overseas, phil & teds is another popular NZ product overseas to.
Its cause we make quality hehe
yalanna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yalanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 11:17am
I have got one of the folding up ones. Sorry cant comment on how good they are yet as baby is still in the baking stage! We got it as I liked the idea that it folded up, wasnt all frilly and the baby can be in it for longer than a standard bassinet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 11:50am
We also purchased one second hand off trademe but it is in brand new condition and looks LOVELY!!!! but just like yalanna, can t comment on its uses yet as bubs is still far from cooked. Mind you...my old baby doll looks good in it with her cloth naps on The things you do huh? Cat wasnt cooperative
becstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 9:38am
hello there new member here. i bought a cariboo bassinet the folding one in navy, it sooo cute.   i was looking in baby city admiring them but cost much $$$230, looked second hand on trade me and they were still selling for $130-180, started to look at ones that go in cot. But one day in baby city they had 3 of them going for $135 (old stock i think) so i got it!!! i love it!! it's much roomier that other bassinets and it rocks from side to side which he loves, he is still in it at 4 months and will be in it for at least 2 more months (he's 7.5 kg at the mo). i dont regret buy it. i think he likes to strechout his arms and touch the sides, he feels comforted in it and is really warm for those cold nights so snuggly. hope this helps.
bumblefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumblefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 4:08pm
I didnt know they were NZ made, we make quality I guess! I don know of someone who has used this bassinet, found it great, and bubs was in it for around 4.5months.

Edited by bumblefoot
Rere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 3:02pm
I used the cariboo rocker that fits into the cot. My baby was in it until she was 4 months old (about 8kgs). She loved it! She would sleep all night (about 12 hours) in it. I wish they made them bigger...i would definately recommend them though!!!
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 3:49pm
I also just have the rocker part that fits into the cot (for when little mister moves in there) and if we had the money I would love to buy the stand for it so we could move it around (even though we already have a bassinette in bedroom so don't really need...).
bumpforme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpforme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 1:51pm
I was going to buy one of these, been looking at them on the internet. We have a big split level house and I need to be able to move the bassinette from the bedroom to the lounge for baby during the day. I thought seeing as it's folding this would be my best bet. Can anyone who has one comment on if it would be suitable for this?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 1:52pm
They are quite light even if you dont fold them so I imagine you could move it easily.
Mikaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 7:04pm
We have ours all set up now and it looks fantastic! I hope our little munchkin likes it
Mikaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 7:07pm
Oh, and bumpforme, it's really easy to fold up but not if you have the canopy thing attached. If it's just the bassinet then it's very easy but otherwise you have to undo about six screws.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>