FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat cots do you use or recommend?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What cots do you use or recommend?
    Posted: 20 March 2007 at 1:36pm
Hi, still researching but really feeling the need for retail therapy soon. What cots have you found to be the best? I have looked at heaps and a lot feel light and junky? It would be great to hear from experienced mums also.

Thanks

Nikki
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2007 at 2:17pm
Not that I have really used mine as such yet but we brought a cheaper genesis one from baby factory. We didn't see the point in spending a lot of money on a cot (ours was $350ish from memory) as you also have to buy a matress as well. Ours is really simple to use to get the side up and down and doesn't feel "junky" or like it would break or anything.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2007 at 2:38pm
The gremlins have got sleigh cots that convert to toddler beds, were around $499 from Farmers. They are very sturdy (have had a 19kg Maya in them before now!) and American size which is slightly wider than NZ size.

Maya had the basic Childcare Alpha cot from the Baby Factory for around $300 and it was fine too.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2007 at 3:15pm
Cool, I like the sleigh cots too. I'm thinking about touchwood but I think I will try and get a secondhand cot off trademe and buy a new mattress. Anything I should look out for with that strategy?
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2007 at 3:38pm
Cots have to be up to NZ safety standards. The bars have to be a certain distance between each one. I can't remember what they are but I know when I was getting my cot made for me (I was lucky and my dad was able to get a friend of his make our cot out of heart rimu) I had to give them all the safety stuff. I didn't safe the info sorry but i'm sure if you google it you will get the standards.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2007 at 3:44pm
yep, I think that is easy to find these days. Thanks for that advice mummybecks
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2007 at 4:03pm
cot
We had that cot for our girls. Lovely and solid. Fantastic cots.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2007 at 4:28pm
Piper you also have to check the length of the corner posts, children who climb can get their singlet caught on those and "hang" The old-fashioned cots have more than 1/2 inch or so.

If I was going to buy another cot I'd go for a toddler-conversion one. And don't worry about the cots feeling light, they really only service an up to 2 year old (average 14kg) anyway.
Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 6:12pm
I have been looking at the Touchwood ones, they seem really sturdy and solid. Has anyone had one of these?

Also, what is the difference between the NZ and US sizing?
Mum to two beautiful kids   
Luke (09.11.2007)
Amy (01.04.2009)
luna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 7:03pm
Bel - we have a Touchwood cot. It has solid ends and then the usual bars along each side. It's fairly heavy to move and is adjustable to 2 heights (what is known as bassinette height and then 'cot' .. which is lower). The side comes down easily by pressing in 2 'clips' on either end .. it's hard to describe these.

I'm not sure on their sizing - I think they are known as "US" sizing, which is larger. Having said that, all the bedding I've bought has fitted fine.

If you order thru the website, you should be able to buy a mattress as well. They are really firm, inner sprung. Ours is yellow with teddy bears on it.

MIL & FIL bought ours at a discount (and the matching change table) as FIL used to do some work with the guy who makes them.
Selina

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 10:04pm
Bel, from what I have learnt US sizing seems to be the most common among new cots. Only older ones seem to be NZ sizing. I may be worng on this but I think it is something to look out for when getting an older secondhand cot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 10:05pm
Anyone have any idea why i have gone from 19 weeks and 1 day pregnant to 18 weeks and 6 days???? Its taking long enough without my ticker making it longer
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 7:39am
it 19wks 2 days to me.
lilypie couldve been having a moment

we got our cot form the warehouse, and i wouldnt have a clue whether its nz or us size, we got it in 2005.
its a great cot, and its light and easy ot mvoe around.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 1:48pm
yay!!! i'm back in at the right time....phew..dont want to be going backwards
Salifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 7:04pm
I've seen the touchwood cots that convert into 4 different uses: basinette/cot/bed/sofa.

Is this just a gimmick - will you really use it as a bed/sofa....or end up spending $900 on a touchwood cost with all these features you'll never use???

Your thoughts anyone???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 9:00pm
yeah, I'm not sure how much I would use the other features but I do like the sturdiness of the cots and hopefully I can pick one up 2nd hand.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 9:05pm
Ours aren't Touchwoods, but they are convertible. We've still got them on bassinette level now as the gremlins are in safety sleeps so can't move around, will drop them down to the cot level in a few months. And will probably use them as toddler beds when they are ready to be out of cots, but I'm pretty sure I won't use them as sofas
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 9:56pm
I'd agree!
Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2007 at 7:29am
I loved the touchwood ones and hubby did as well. Some of the other options didn't seem as sturdy to me and since hubby agreed we went with touchwood.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2007 at 8:27am
Our cheapie from baby factory turns into a bed later on but I don't think we will ever use this. When it comes time to use it we will just get a normal single bed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>